ANYONE KNOW HOW TO DOWNLOAD LATEST VERSION OF PKHEX ON MAC OS SIERRA???

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Yung_Royaleski, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Yung_Royaleski
    OP

Yung_Royaleski Member

Newcomer
    Oct 9, 2017
    United States
    I have OSX Sierra 10.12.6 and I've already tried going through the whole Wine & WineBottler method, but clearly it isn't working out for me. I have an older version of PkHex already installed and ready to go, but I noticed I'd have a problem when I tried making a save file for a Gengar and realized the only options for Ability was 'levitate' (which doesn't exist anymore for him in Sun & Moon) so clearly I need a new model because I'm not trying to get flagged for hacked pokemon. Do any of you have a clear/simple method for installing the latest Gen 7 version on mac?

2. fr3quency

fr3quency GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 11, 2016
    Greece
    Wherever my imagination decides.
    Title needs more caps. I doubt anyone will answer you till you add more question marks.

3. Yung_Royaleski
    OP

Yung_Royaleski Member

Newcomer
    Oct 9, 2017
    United States
    Sorry man just want to make sure this post doesn't get lost in the masses lol I've spent hours on this and really need a response

4. evandixon

evandixon PMD Researcher

May 29, 2009
    United States
  5. Yung_Royaleski
    OP

Yung_Royaleski Member

Newcomer
    Oct 9, 2017
    United States
    Yea I've tried that method already, but the app keeps opening and closing immediately. I'm trying it for the 100th time and if it doesn't work then going to try the wine method, but I'm skeptical. Everything else has failed so far and I've tried multiple options.

Last edited by Yung_Royaleski, Oct 10, 2017
  6. Yung_Royaleski
    OP

Yung_Royaleski Member

Newcomer
    Oct 9, 2017
    United States
    Yea this whole process is slowing down my mac drastically at the moment. The cards aren't panning in my favor guys =/

7. Akira

Akira I'm not a SHRIMP!!!!

Apr 28, 2013
    How about trying it on a Virtual Machine? That's what I always do whenever I want to use Windows applications. I am using VMWare

Last edited by Akira, Oct 10, 2017
  8. Yung_Royaleski
    OP

Yung_Royaleski Member

Newcomer
    Oct 9, 2017
    United States
    I tried it man. This time it said the file was corrupt... I've been at this for over 6 hours. I'm done with this crap for the time being. I'm so fed up...... Appreciate the input though. It was worth a shot

9. Akira

Akira I'm not a SHRIMP!!!!

Apr 28, 2013
    How about Wine?

10. GizmoTheGreen

GizmoTheGreen GBAtemp Fan

Oct 8, 2009
    what file? the pkhex .exe?

11. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Shouldn't Crossover work?

12. Yung_Royaleski
    OP

Yung_Royaleski Member

Newcomer
    Oct 9, 2017
    United States
    Yea the .exe file. Apparently Wine doesn't work with the specific version my mac is currently on (10.12 Sierra). I would have to upgrade to El Capitan, which I'm trying to avoid for my music program purposes (compatibility issues). I haven't tried Crossover yet, but Wine, Winebottler and VMWare haven't been able to pull it off.

13. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    Uhhhh, what? El Capitan is 10.11, Sierra is 10.12. Explain exactly why you'd have to "upgrade" to it. Also, it runs perfectly fine with Wine. Learn how to read terminal output. It tells you exactly what's needed to make it run.

14. GizmoTheGreen

GizmoTheGreen GBAtemp Fan

Oct 8, 2009
    so the vmware runs the entire OS but complains your exe file is corrupt? sounds like your pkhex download it corrupt then.
    (or you might need to install VB runtime in windows(if it's a fresh install) in your VM, or .net runtime)

15. YourHero

YourHero GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 22, 2010
    United States
    Buy a 128gb USB flash drive, install windows on it, ???, Profit!

Why 128gb? They're mad cheap and it would give plenty of space for everything he could ever need.

16. Asia81

Asia81 In my Ecchi World <3

Nov 15, 2014
    France
    Albi
    "Mac"
    I want say deal with it, being in the inferior race.

xJoelituh likes this.
  17. sp3off

sp3off One male shadow.

Apr 17, 2013
    France
    Hell's Lair
    You need to have Wineskin or not have Wine running.

source: pkhex project pokemon lawlz

18. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    ftfy

19. AnalogMan

AnalogMan sumoCheatMenu Dev

Apr 20, 2007
    United States
    PKHex works decent on macOS Sierra & High Sierra, some minor graphical glitches and you need to disable Unicode in the menu for certain fonts to look right but it runs if you have the right wine tricks installed. I think I've made a few tutorials for getting it to run in wine in a few different places. Let me see if I can track any of them down.

Edit:

1. Install this XQuartz (https://www.xquartz.org/releases/XQuartz-2.7.9.html)

2. Install Wine Staging (https://repos.wine-staging.com/macosx/i686/winehq-staging-2.0.pkg)
    Don't enable 64-bit support.

3. Run Wine Staging app

4. Install Homebrew for Mac OS by running the below command in Terminal:
    Code:
    ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)" < /dev/null 2> /dev/null
    5. Once done install winetricks with this command:
    Code:
    brew install winetricks
    This may take a while. A long while (it's installing dependencies).

6. In Terminal type:
    Code:
    rm -rf ~/.wine
    If you get an error that's fine

7. Next type this command:
    Code:
    export WINEARCH="win32" && winetricks -q msxml3 dotnet45 cjkfonts tahoma corefonts
    Click Cancel on the prompt for installing Mono and Gecko.

8. Click cancel for any prompts to reboot.

Don't worry about any errors you may see in the Terminal window, those are normal. Wait for it to finish. When done, download the latest PKHeX and try to open it. If you get an error about .net 4.0, start at step 6 and redo. Winetricks isn't perfect and things don't always work the first try.

Last edited by AnalogMan, Oct 13, 2017 at 7:08 PM