Homebrew Anyone have any experience with original controllers?

Trace_hunter

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Just made a quick video to show the problem I'm having with my Mayflash SNES to Wiimote adapter. Does anyone have any experience with using controller adapters?

The problem is the adapter works fine with the virtual console but I'm getting skipped button presses and general controller inaccuracies with emulators only.

Take a look:

kid sampson

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I also have the Mayflash adapter along with a number of other controllers: the Classic Controller, Classic Controller Pro, WiiU Pro Controller, 8bitdo SNES30 gamepad, a PSX to Gamecube adapter, and NES to Gamecube RetroPort adapters.

I use original controllers with the Mayflash and RetroPort adapters. Last week, I also scored a rare SNES RetroPort adapter that will be delivered sometime this week.

In my experience, the Virtual Console games are definitely more responsive, which is especially noticeable with platformers like Mario. I also see improvements when using official Nintendo controllers. The most responsive input is from the Classic Controller Pro. I'm not sure if it's the way the adapters send inputs or the way the emulators receive them, but the controls always feel off and ruin the entire experience for me. I'm hoping the direct wiring of the RetroPort solves my issues and I can enjoy using my original SNES control pads. If not, next stop is either moving back to the original console or giving sucking it up and buying the official Super Famicom controller released as a Club Nintendo award.

OleSchool

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just made a quick video to show the problem I'm having with my Mayflash SNES to Wiimote adapter. Does anyone have any experience with using controller adapters?

The problem is the adapter works fine with the virtual console but I'm getting skipped button presses and general controller inaccuracies with emulators only.

Take a look:

I love the original controllers to get a more authentic feel. I use the original NES, SNES, Sega Genesis, etc., but also the Wii Classic controller too.
The difference in my setup is that I don't use the mayflash, I use Raphnet adapters. They have no input lag, and work perfectly.
There are several platformers I play on different VC's and no issues. The reason I went with them over mayflash is I kept coming across posts (like this one) of issues, input lag or just general incompatiblity problems. Sorry you're having these bro, but if you can't get it fixed go with the Raphnet adapters.

I'll upload a video for it on YouTube to embed, but it works perfect for emulators as well (I'm also using SNES9x).

Last edited by OleSchool,

magnitudeten

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have that same mayflash adapter as well, and I just tried to replicate what you're experiencing. Same game, same emulator, I even happened to have a super famicom controller lol. I also tried switching out my regular wii mote for a wii mote with motion plus... in case that was your issue, which it obviously isn't.

I'm not experiencing any missed inputs at all. Mine works perfect. So I'm thinking it's bad luck and you got a defect, and I have a later revision of the adapter. My adapter says snes/nes to wii u on the top whereas a lot of the ones on ebay just say wii. I think there's also an even newer version that's branded for the nes classic edition as well. Maybe this is something that was fixed between revisions...?

In any case I also highly recommend raphnet if you can't get mayflash working proper.

Reactions: OleSchool

JoeChin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have a Retroport Gamecube --> SNES and a Raphnet Gamecube --> SNES have no problems, totally lag free on both Virtual Console and emulators. These Wiimote-based versions will probably exhibit more lag than the ones that connect directly, that comes with the territory, but it sounds more like a defect on the part of Mayflash in this case. Try Snes9x-next through Retroarch and see if that behaves any better just to be sure.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, I'm good. Thanks.