Hardware Anyone else annoyed that we need to pay for online multiplayer?

Defiledhero

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is annoying that we would have to play for MP, but I mean, you could have expected that sooner or later. And like many others said, we get several free games yearly.

stinkoman

Magnificent Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I keep a pretty tight gaming budget. For my more recent previous consoles, I own 31 Wii games and 36 Gamecube games. A number of those were gifts, and amongst the games I did buy for myself, a lot of them were purchased used or after the price had dropped. I count 8 games on the Wii that I bought when it first came out, but it also took me over a year to get my hands on one, so during the Wii's life that puts me under two new games a year. When there aren't any games I want to buy at launch but I am in need of games, I delve into older games to pick up on a budget.

At 64 games a year the games you get with PS+ are basically ~80 cents a piece. And if it has a seven year lifespan that's ~448 games.

Also, PSN downloads are notoriously slow. Paid online reduces this problem.

BerserkLeon

Not-so-new member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At 64 games a year the games you get with PS+ are basically ~80 cents a piece. And if it has a seven year lifespan that's ~448 games.

Also, PSN downloads are notoriously slow. Paid online reduces this problem.

Uh, maybe on the Ares server, or maybe during peak times, but I'm usually able to download off the Zeus server with 1MB/s at least.

ie: almost all the non-PS+ free content is on the ares server, paid stuff's always on the zeus server.

TwilightWarrior

GBATEMP'S Official Boss
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
One of the reasons I really enjoyed my PS3 was that online mulitplayer was free on PSN.
Now that it's going to cost money I'll probably just stick with PC for my online multiplayer.

I might still buy a PS4 for local multiplayer. I wish more PC games would have local multiplayer so I'd have no reason to buy a console.

Truly dissapointed that there hasn't been more of an outcry from Playstation fans over this.

There was so much outcry over XBone's mistakes that it seems Sony got a pass on this one.

The only thing that annoys me is you and your cheapness

EVERYONE LISTEN UP, your not paying for ps4 online, your paying for PS PLUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Which give you advantages on ps3, vita, and ps4!!!!!!!

Obveron

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My biggest issue is that I usually buy all the consoles. but I don't want to pay for two online services. So I'm forced to choose between Sony and MS instead of just getting both. Sony always had an ace up its sleeve in the sense that I'd have no problem buying their console JUST for the exclusives (and fighters with the better d-pad) all of which I could play online for free. (while playing all other cross-platform titles and MS exclusives on XBlive).
This new generation I'm forced to pick one or the other (not both), because an offline console is pointless and I'm not paying for two online services.
Doing without a huge selection of exclusives (whether that be MS or Sony I'm not decided) is frustrating. I don't blame Sony for their decision, but it is dissapointing I can't have both again this gen.

Twilight_Warrior, thanks for the personal attack.
Since you're not cheap I suppose you're going to pay for both online services. What? Oh you won't because you hate MS and love Sony? It sure is financially convenient you're a fanboy.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't play games online, so it really doesn't effect me. But I think having to pay for online will keep some of the riff-raff from being online.

irondoom

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally I love to play pvp but I do this almost exclusively on the PC. About the only games I used online features on PS3 were demon souls and dark souls.

I don't mind this pay model because I don't have to pay to play single player. My only concern is now that it is a paid service that Sony will offer incentives to developers for psn sign ups. I don't want silly, unnecessary online features popping up all over the place during a single player play through trying to get me to sign up.

LockeCole_101629

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
why everyone against the "Free" idea?
if it goes to most people react here, it just FIVE FVCKING DOLLA YOU CHEPP BA$TAD, then if it's cheap why not making it FREE AT ALL?
unlike PC, consoles get their money not just from the machine, but also from the games.
it's weird that if those games which already had multiplayer mode only can be access when you buy another ONLINE pass

do you pay steam so you can play your games online? (assuming you also play on PC mostly online)
did you pay them so you can access it to buy a games?
Nope.

not a single cent, unless you buy something from them.
even more stupid when you divide it into each day/hour/minute.

yeah it just FIVE DOLLAR, how much if there's a million subscriber, it's 5 MILLION DOLLAR A MONTH.
it's clearly a clever way to make easy cash, even assume they didn't have a million subscriber money is money.

stop saying a cent like isn't worth anything.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
why everyone against the "Free" idea?
if it goes to most people react here, it just FIVE FVCKING DOLLA YOU CHEPP BA$TAD, then if it's cheap why not making it FREE AT ALL?
unlike PC, consoles get their money not just from the machine, but also from the games.
it's weird that if those games which already had multiplayer mode only can be access when you buy another ONLINE pass

do you pay steam so you can play your games online? (assuming you also play on PC mostly online)
did you pay them so you can access it to buy a games?
Nope.

not a single cent, unless you buy something from them.
even more stupid when you divide it into each day/hour/minute.

yeah it just FIVE DOLLAR, how much if there's a million subscriber, it's 5 MILLION DOLLAR A MONTH.
it's clearly a clever way to make easy cash, even assume they didn't have a million subscriber money is money.

stop saying a cent like isn't worth anything.

You do understand that you're getting more than just the multiplayer with PS+? The free games and discounts for the PS4/PS3/PS2/PSX/PSVita/PSP.

ps. Don't get me wrong, Steam is fantastic. Just a one on one comparison of Steam and PS+ is not really accurate if you only look at the multiplayer option.

irondoom

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't play online games if going online is to expensive for you.

Well that or spend less money on stupid shit and save up more.

Well my point isn't about it being expensive or not, my point is I hate to see a good single player experience ruined by annoying online features. I'm not saying this is going to happen, but it might if sony offers developers incentives for sign ups now that online is a pay feature.

In other words, I'm worried Sony will offer developers X$ per new psn sign up and developers will then feel the need to innundate their games with unecessary online features to maximize profits.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.