Hardware Anyone else actually buying this?

ggyo

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, there's still a parasitic middle man. From what was said, you don't set the used prices, and the publisher takes a cut from the sale. You're trading one money grubbing middle man that actually generates jobs for people straight to the publisher who won't hire nearly as many people as would be lost if used stores were to be lost due to restrictive DRM practices. And that you buy one copy you basically have multiples mentality is stupid. If my physical disc is DRM free, I still only own that one copy. If I loan it to a friend, that's my right with the physical object I purchased. I don't give a damn if the publisher, developer, what have you is struggling or not. Make better games and people will buy them. Make shit ones and don't expect people to just throw money at you. Restricting usage because standards in the gaming industry are going up and some developers can't match it is just silly. It's business. Either you can match the current market and prosper, or you crash and burn. It's capitalism just about at its purest that you can get in this world.

And so what if Sony had to pay to have the PS4 trend on Twitter? You know why the Xbox One was trending on Twitter? I guarantee it wasn't because of positive support. All because something is trending naturally doesn't mean it's a good thing. It just means people are talking about it, whether it's good or bad. If you're going to sit there and tell me that a product's name's ability to trend on Twitter is definitive proof of its general market appeal, then I'm going to stop taking you even remotely seriously. Oh, and yeah, people are buying DSLR cameras. People don't buy MP3 players because they use their smart phones, though, clearly MP3 players still sell since they're still on the market. Many people still buy individual BD players who aren't gaming enthusiasts (which includes more people than gamers). I've seen lots of people brag about the sound systems they buy. If you have any actual proof for your claims, go ahead and put them forward, but just listening to actual humans, real consumers, tells me the exact opposite of your claims and that the information is at best pulled right from your ass.

Oh, and no, musical instruments aren't being replaced. Dubstep and other sub-genres like it may seem grand and popular, but they certainly appeal to a minority. Any day of the week, music that features real instruments will do better than some generic machine sounds 9 times out of 10, guaranteed.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Wii have issues being kept in stock for months and months after its release? I'd hardly call that having a hard time getting sales or issues of few pre-orders. In fact, the Wii had some pretty damned amazing sales at launch. The Wii sold well because of the crowd it ended up appealing to, and Nintendo's ability to build off of that to sell one of the most successful home consoles in history. The Wii U had a lot of pre-orders likely because gamers were hoping that Nintendo would somehow keep building off the success of the Wii, not recognizing that it would be a slow climb back up since they decided to go back to their strategy that they had adopted in previous generations as far as games are concerned. The Xbox One won't be the Wii though. It's problems aren't something that will become a system seller. If anything, in time, they will move to kill the system that much more quickly.

Honestly, you're acting like the Xbox One is some savior to the market, and it's just ridiculous. It may be an all in one, but its limited release, restrictive DRM, privacy invading tactics, region specific appeal, and general ability to not recognize what consumers want will kill it.

No, there's still a parasitic middle man. From what was said, you don't set the used prices, and the publisher takes a cut from the sale. You're trading one money grubbing middle man that actually generates jobs for people straight to the publisher who won't hire nearly as many people as would be lost if used stores were to be lost due to restrictive DRM practices. And that you buy one copy you basically have multiples mentality is stupid. If my physical disc is DRM free, I still only own that one copy. If I loan it to a friend, that's my right with the physical object I purchased. I don't give a damn if the publisher, developer, what have you is struggling or not. Make better games and people will buy them. Make shit ones and don't expect people to just throw money at you. Restricting usage because standards in the gaming industry are going up and some developers can't match it is just silly. It's business. Either you can match the current market and prosper, or you crash and burn. It's capitalism just about at its purest that you can get in this world.

And so what if Sony had to pay to have the PS4 trend on Twitter? You know why the Xbox One was trending on Twitter? I guarantee it wasn't because of positive support. All because something is trending naturally doesn't mean it's a good thing. It just means people are talking about it, whether it's good or bad. If you're going to sit there and tell me that a product's name's ability to trend on Twitter is definitive proof of its general market appeal, then I'm going to stop taking you even remotely seriously. Oh, and yeah, people are buying DSLR cameras. People don't buy MP3 players because they use their smart phones, though, clearly MP3 players still sell since they're still on the market. Many people still buy individual BD players who aren't gaming enthusiasts (which includes more people than gamers). I've seen lots of people brag about the sound systems they buy. If you have any actual proof for your claims, go ahead and put them forward, but just listening to actual humans, real consumers, tells me the exact opposite of your claims and that the information is at best pulled right from your ass.

Oh, and no, musical instruments aren't being replaced. Dubstep and other sub-genres like it may seem grand and popular, but they certainly appeal to a minority. Any day of the week, music that features real instruments will do better than some generic machine sounds 9 times out of 10, guaranteed.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Wii have issues being kept in stock for months and months after its release? I'd hardly call that having a hard time getting sales or issues of few pre-orders. In fact, the Wii had some pretty damned amazing sales at launch. The Wii sold well because of the crowd it ended up appealing to, and Nintendo's ability to build off of that to sell one of the most successful home consoles in history. The Wii U had a lot of pre-orders likely because gamers were hoping that Nintendo would somehow keep building off the success of the Wii, not recognizing that it would be a slow climb back up since they decided to go back to their strategy that they had adopted in previous generations as far as games are concerned. The Xbox One won't be the Wii though. It's problems aren't something that will become a system seller. If anything, in time, they will move to kill the system that much more quickly.

Honestly, you're acting like the Xbox One is some savior to the market, and it's just ridiculous. It may be an all in one, but its limited release, restrictive DRM, privacy invading tactics, region specific appeal, and general ability to not recognize what consumers want will kill it.
Well, first off, you don't need to sound like I'm attacking your family. I'm not attacking your family. No market is your family.
The developer and publisher is the main source, not the middle man. And there are studios that made good games that failed, while there are studios that continue to make bad games and are thriving. GMC didn't go bankrupt because they made worse cars than everybody else, and neither did 38 Studios, THQ, Midway Games, etc, in terms of games... there are active studios making much worse games than them.
Now who will suffer from DRM? Only people who buy used games. It's not making developers any money, and that's all they're about, so what drives them to cater towards a non-profitable margin?
Don't put words in my mouth. With the Xbox One naturally trending on twitter, it most definitely means that it has (or had at the time) more raw interest than the PS4 did when it was announced, be it positive or negative. You can type in #XboxOne on twitter and see the feedback for yourself (and it seems that the only negative comments are VCR jokes and misconceptions). Do the same for #PS4, though, and see the contrast.
No, people are not buying DSLR cameras like they use to. We have the Nokia 41MP PureView (and other very high-end mobile optics) posed to replace them, but on top of EVERYTHING is the visual proof you have on Instagram, Vine, Twitter, Facebook... Instagram and Vine are immensely popular, and are exclusive to smartphones. Every Twitter and Facebook picture is taken by an iPhone or Android. You don't see mirror selfies being taken with DSLRs anymore. And I should have worded that differently. "Sound system" doesn't refer to the physical input you need. You can hook up a "sound system" to a game console, smartphone or iPod. Now how are you gonna tell me to present "proof" when you use phrases like "I've seen lots of people..." Since when is your word of mouth proof?
YOU ARE NOT INVOLVED IN THE MUSICAL WORLD IF YOU'RE SAYING THIS. Not a single mainstream or commercial song uses real instruments. It's all digitally produced. VST instruments are so advance now. A couple hundred dollar VST will synonymously imitate up to a dozen or more $10 000 instruments. I can't think of a single genre that hasn't been invaded by digital instruments. The novelty of real instruments has been excluded to live performances (though MIDI controllers are also designed to be more efficient in live performances), and traditional purists. This is how far VSTs go.

And this is nowhere near the professional-grade, studio VSTs.
"Generic machine"? All the best selling music is being completely digitally produced.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Wii's initial launch start od moderate, and the pre-orders were limited until the pop-culture craze had everybody and their grandma (literally) shuffling after them?
The Xbox One's DRM is exactly what many developers want, and games are exactly what many consumers want. That's all I'm saying. Tell your sister, your brother, your parents, and your dog to chill. I'm not attacking them.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I am not buying this system nor do I have plans on buying it in the future.
The 360 was M$ last chance to win me over and they failed at that. This one, they just keep making it worse and worse with every bit of information they release on it.
Honestly I am going to get a PS4 long before I even consider getting an XFlopONE.

ggyo

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
umm... ok, there's something you should know about DRM, there's protecting the interests of developers and then there's treating customers like fucking criminals, do you honestly expect everyone to just nut up and pay full price for there products with the restriction they plan on implementing? do you think people can even afford or have the proper connection to invest in this future of yours? since when is loaning my game to a friend or buying one used hurting the industry at large now? i think it says more about how the gaming industry is currently run if used games is such a threat to them financially

so no, DRM isn't in the interest of all developers, it's in the interests of all publishers

and that's another thing, you ever think that maybe game studios go under because they were poorly managed? and that they spend too much money and resources making AAA titles that it wouldn't be considered "profitable" unless it sold a ridiculously unrealistic amount? not every studio goes bankrupt because little johnny decided to jailbreak his console and download backups on torrent sites
Criminals? What exactly do you know about the DRM in the Xbox One?

It sounds like most people know about the Xbox One's DRM like the majority of athiests know about the Bible. They haven't actually read a page, but they heard about a passage on the internet or from a friend, or any other source that also hasn't read a page but also heard about it from a scrutinizing source, and believe they understand that God wants them to kill all homosexuals, cut the tip of their penis off, and slaughter poor, harmless lamb in his honor for seemingly arbitrary purposes.

So your saying you can't buy a used Car... Used Furniture.. Used DVD... used CD... or... Used -anything- right? Guess your never having another yard sale.
No! DRM affects me too. I resell and trade in games all the time. I'm just objectively saying how it promotes the ideals of publishers and developers, without projecting my self-concerning emotions at everybody like a b****... *word to some people*

ld0y

Ld0y
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Microsoft still have a lot of time to see whats best for them and the future xb1.
I will buy both console just for the exclusives that they have BUT not at launch i still have a long way to go with the current consoles

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
umm... ok, there's something you should know about DRM, there's protecting the interests of developers and then there's treating customers like fucking criminals, do you honestly expect everyone to just nut up and pay full price for there products with the restriction they plan on implementing? do you think people can even afford or have the proper connection to invest in this future of yours? since when is loaning my game to a friend or buying one used hurting the industry at large now? i think it says more about how the gaming industry is currently run if used games is such a threat to them financially

so no, DRM isn't in the interest of all developers, it's in the interests of all publishers

and that's another thing, you ever think that maybe game studios go under because they were poorly managed? and that they spend too much money and resources making AAA titles that it wouldn't be considered "profitable" unless it sold a ridiculously unrealistic amount? not every studio goes bankrupt because little johnny decided to jailbreak his console and download backups on torrent sites

Very, very wise words, sir.

TehCupcakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In light of the latest news... Microsoft has actually made a very smart move. Now they actually have a good shot at this being a big success.

TwoBladedKnight

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've got mine preordered, I just need to work out how I'm going to afford to pay it off and afford to buy games... I was actually the second person to preorder at my local EB. My friend was the first.

redact

‮҉
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
Okay, time to re-ask the same question now that MS have re-considered their DRM Policies (Which I didn't care about in the first place)

Not taking into consideration the DRM that now does not exist, and if you can, ignoring the price gap between this and ps4.... What do you guys like and/or dislike about the XBO?

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Okay, time to re-ask the same question now that MS have re-considered their DRM Policies (Which I didn't care about in the first place)

Not taking into consideration the DRM that now does not exist, and if you can, ignoring the price gap between this and ps4.... What do you guys like and/or dislike about the XBO?

Kinect.

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Just saw the DRM policy reversing thing that Microsoft did.

Didn't take them long to realize that THAT policy, would destroy them. And Fast.
We are the consumers. We cant PAY and then be ass raped. No. Microsoft can go rob someone else.

This is a FIRST step in making amends with an Xbox lover like myself.
Now drop your insane price to reasonable, affordable, 2013 world economy compatible prices, and I'm in for an Xbox One.

D

Dork

I already pre-ordered my Xbox One® Day One Edition from Amazon™ and I can't wait to play amazing games like Call of Duty®: Ghosts and Battlefield 4™. Don't forget to purchase your Doritosand Mountain Dew™.

Reactions: ohsoroso

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

PS4 has free games (PS+), is cheaper and if it will be roughly the same as last gen pretty much the only Xbone excusives worth mentioning will be Gears of War, Halo and Forza, none of which I care about. Combine that with the rumors that the PS4 is quite a bit stronger, and there's no reason whatsoever for me to get an Xbone.

marksteele

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
PS4 has free games (PS+), is cheaper and if it will be roughly the same as last gen pretty much the only Xbone excusives worth mentioning will be Gears of War, Halo and Forza, none of which I care about. Combine that with the rumors that the PS4 is quite a bit stronger, and there's no reason whatsoever for me to get an Xbone.

mmmmm I guess your one of those who cant ignore the price eh?

DaggerV

Archmagi of the Emerald Moon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man, being here since the NES hay days ... I fucking hate you people.

Consoles will do fine, DRM will be fine. There's a lot of people in the boonies who can't play MMOs and FPS online due to their internet speed, but that doesn't stop them from buying other PC games. I hate the idea of what they're doing, but it was a effort to try something new. I would wager my MTG collection that the majority of you use DRM every single day despite the fact of the matter.

Reactions: redact and PityOnU

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man, being here since the NES hay days ... I fucking hate you people.

Consoles will do fine, DRM will be fine. There's a lot of people in the boonies who can't play MMOs and FPS online due to their internet speed, but that doesn't stop them from buying other PC games. I hate the idea of what they're doing, but it was a effort to try something new. I would wager my MTG collection that the majority of you use DRM every single day despite the fact of the matter.

I agree with this man. I was very excited for the Xbox One because it was pushing the envelope into new territory.

But apparently nobody wants their new consoles to do anything new. :(

I was very interested in this console and what it meant for the future of console gaming, but now I'm not really interested any more.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: it won't make it better or worse