Anybody here ever build a robot?

GreatMaupinCaper

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been brainstorming about a project I'm doing for class. I can pretty much do anything I want. I was thinking about building a simple robot. Just curious if anyone here had ever done anything like that.

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
I did, in robotics class back in college. I made it simple, and my project was simple:
Scan the room for a ball, go to it, fetch it, scan for the goal and go "score"

This was like 12 years ago though

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"for class"
What class? It may change what becomes necessary?

But yes. Not so much any more as other than sticking an odd thing on a CNC axis they are not so useful and tend not to have any techniques necessary to build them that I don't already know (give or take the really fun parts of AI programming and embedded electronics).

GreatMaupinCaper

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"for class"
What class? It may change what becomes necessary?

But yes. Not so much any more as other than sticking an odd thing on a CNC axis they are not so useful and tend not to have any techniques necessary to build them that I don't already know (give or take the really fun parts of AI programming and embedded electronics).

Its just a capstone class, which is basically a class where we have to demonstrate the skills we've picked up throughout our college education. I was thinking of something really simple, along the lines of what madridi described. Honestly, I was just curious if anybody on gba temp was into that sort of thing.

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
I still have somewhere the original Lego Mindstorms Robotics Invention System, you could program your robot on Windows 95 then upload your program to the robot via IR.

The robot i built was something like this:

mindstorms.jpg

It would go forward until it's bumpers at the front were pressed, then it would reverse a little, turn 45 degrees and carry on going.

Essentially you could program what each motor would do by default and what would happen when various sensors were triggered.

GreatMaupinCaper

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i would like to try, but idk where i could learn, start.. and ofc i don't have money to buy the necessary things XD
I saw one tutorial for a really simple one using an arduino. Im in the same boat though. Its kinda hard to take that first leap financially and at the end of the day you'd wanna make something worth your money.

BlueFox gui

SOMEONE
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I saw one tutorial for a really simple one using an arduino. Im in the same boat though. Its kinda hard to take that first leap financially and at the end of the day you'd wanna make something worth your money.
i usually do things for fun, but since i almost don't have money and when i get i can't always use, it will be almost impossible for me

D

Deleted User

I messed with Lego Mindstorms bots when I took that APCS class senior year, so I guess that counts. You could do that, but Legos are a bit expensive, mind you. I kinda know from experience.

I also wrote a Discord bot in Python, but I'm not sure if that counts.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Did you pee in the water