Hacking Anybody got a fried disk drive setting around?

Hanafuda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seriously. I fixed a broken axle in my Wii's disk drive recently (its a JPN Wii so sending it back to Nintendo wasn't an option) and while my repair has held, I guess when the gears were grinding themselves when the axle broke weakened the teeth on one. It stopped working again and when i disassembled this gear had a broken tooth:

hanawii2uz8.jpg

I know its unlikely anyone could help me, but can't hurt to ask. Somebody has to have botched their mod enough to create a paperweight.

Thanks.

sidneyyoung

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
If you feeling advebturous you could try this...

hxxp://www.wiinja.com/Foros/viewtopic.php?p=5503#5503

a bit of practise on something might be called for first, if you decide to try

Hanafuda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you feeling advebturous you could try this...

hxxp://www.wiinja.com/Foros/viewtopic.php?p=5503#5503

a bit of practise on something might be called for first, if you decide to try

thanks i've seen that before. and it looks to be the same gear, which tells me Nintendo really dropped the ball this time around on their rep for overbuilt and indestructible hardware. But as ingenious as that solution is, I don't think its a good idea to put a metal tooth into an all-plastic transmission, especially when its not even the right shape. That metal's gonna wear on the gear it contacts and mess it up too.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It is perhaps not the answer you wanted but plastics casting and such is really not that difficult, even on a small scale. Especially if you have the slightly broken gear to use as a partial template.

Take a trip down to your local hobbies/models shop and explain the situation. They will more than likely be happy for the business.

As for extra weight if it turns out metal is needed, metal tends to be stronger so can stand to be thinner and coating the teeth should not be that hard so wear and dimensions should not be a problem.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.