Hardware Any way to fix this Fat PS3? (YLOD, I think)

FreezingIceKirby

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I found an old Fat-model PS3 the other day, and I'm currently in the process of trying to fix it up. When I first got it, it wouldn't do anything (wouldn't even respond when hitting the power button), but after giving it a good cleaning and replacing the thermal paste, it's actually doing things now.

Well, for the most part, anyway. You see, whenever I press the power button, a green light will show up for about a second or two, but then it'll turn yellow very briefly before letting out three error beeps and continuously flashing red at that point. But here's the silly thing; if I keep trying to power the system on, eventually (about five minutes later) it'll somehow get past this starting error and the system itself will finally turn on! Everything works, too... including the blu-ray drive, as I even managed to play and finish a game on it (and I had it running for a good five hours that day, and it never shut down once).

But it's that beginning part that's the killer so far. It seems like the system needs to warm up like an old car or something before it'll start working. After that, it works like a charm.

I'm just curious if anyone has any idea why this might be happening, and if there's anything I can do about it? I get that it's probably dying, and sometime in the future this old car won't run anymore no matter how much I "warm" it up... but I was curious if there is a solution to this, or perhaps I should stop wasting my time on it?

Keep in mind I do already own a fully-functional, not-dying Slim PS3... I just bought this thing because I wanted the challenge of seeing if I could repair it. Also I only paid $10 for it, so I'm not out much if it doesn't end up working out. I guess I was hoping I could get it up and running so I could have a PS3 system with the whole CFW stuff installed on it (and perhaps install my own games and finally import a copy of Tales of Vesperia so I can run the English patch on it).

Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks in advance~

One last thing... I just want to say I'm surprised this thing is working at all. When I first bought it, I wasn't sure how bad of a condition it was in... but when I finally got the thing open, the images in the link below is what I was greeted with. Honestly, I don't get how people can let this happen to their stuff...

http://freezingicekirby.tumblr.com/...nd-a-fat-model-ps3-at-a-flea-market-today-for

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool