Hacking Any way to backup saves from retail 3DS carts to use with Sky3DS?

crimsonnight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I finally received the save dongle! So what are the exact steps I need to take now to copy saves from my original 3DS carts over to Sky3DS (imagine you're creating a guide for complete idiots ;p)?

Nuxx20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So if the only save I want is for SM3DL which is a 2.2 firmware rom, can I just download one of the public GW saves on the net and use the sky3ds conversion tool to convert it to Sky3DS format? And of course convert the rom to EEPROM=NO

duke_srg

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
So if the only save I want is for SM3DL which is a 2.2 firmware rom, can I just download one of the public GW saves on the net and use the sky3ds conversion tool to convert it to Sky3DS format? And of course convert the rom to EEPROM=NO
This will work in case you properly set CardID in sky template just like it was in gateway.

crimsonnight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So I've ripped all my 3DS saves - guessing I need to create a template file with headers that match my game carts. How do I go about finding the headers of my carts, and how do I then incorporate them into a template file? Thanks

Nuxx20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What if I'm using the same rom in gateway then export the save to my computer to be used with sky3ds and that exact same rom? Are there different steps to accomplish that? It's a .3DS format so no online header

duke_srg

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
crimsonnight get all Roms you want to transfer saves to. Check the save crypto version with rom_tool. For repeat ctr fail crypto just check the save dump size and EEPROM I'd in the template (get sky3ds army knife from this forum to get the right EEPROM IDs and ROM IDs.EEPROM ud must have the right density value, I.e. 11 for 128kb save dump and 13 for 512kb. 1mb save dumps made by r4i dongle a wrong sized, you should notice the right ID when dumping the save, it may also display tge tbitd density byte as 17 or 19, use 11 or 13 respectively in template. Also check ROM size in the romid, sometimes in sky template it is not corresponding with the real ROM size. ROM manufacturer can also be changed, so you may need to write ROM and check save several times with tge different rom manufacturer id. Save dump needs to be convered only once because only cardid is used from tge template )
For another save crypto you still need to dump ROM with the gateway to get CardID.

duke_srg

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Nuxx20 it is very likely gateway are using 0xFF as card I'd bytes, so fill CardID in template with 0xFF, set EEPROM density to 13 (gateway emulates 512kb EEPROM only). If you played game with save crypto above 2.x on gateway with NDS profile launcher (I.e. fw 4.x) the save can't be converted to Sky 3DS

crimsonnight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
crimsonnight get all Roms you want to transfer saves to. Check the save crypto version with rom_tool. For repeat ctr fail crypto just check the save dump size and EEPROM I'd in the template (get sky3ds army knife from this forum to get the right EEPROM IDs and ROM IDs.EEPROM ud must have the right density value, I.e. 11 for 128kb save dump and 13 for 512kb. 1mb save dumps made by r4i dongle a wrong sized, you should notice the right ID when dumping the save, it may also display tge tbitd density byte as 17 or 19, use 11 or 13 respectively in template. Also check ROM size in the romid, sometimes in sky template it is not corresponding with the real ROM size. ROM manufacturer can also be changed, so you may need to write ROM and check save several times with tge different rom manufacturer id. Save dump needs to be convered only once because only cardid is used from tge template )
For another save crypto you still need to dump ROM with the gateway to get CardID.

Thanks for trying to explain but I'm still struggling - I've downloaded the tools you mentioned and have tried following your steps but I'm not getting very far - is there any chance I could upload my saves and you could help me generate a template file? I'm just using standard EUR roms.

duke_srg

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Thanks for trying to explain but I'm still struggling - I've downloaded the tools you mentioned and have tried following your steps but I'm not getting very far - is there any chance I could upload my saves and you could help me generate a template file? I'm just using standard EUR roms.
Have you determine which saves can be transferred?

MelonGx

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Failed on injecting .3DZ save into Sky3DS DiskWriter exported save.

Steps:
1) Find the ROM header from Sky3DS Template.txt
2) Make the .3DS ROM into .3DZ with the header
3) Convert .3DS save into .3DZ save
4) Dump Sky3DS save (it's 1MB Card1 with KeyY 2.2.0-4)
5) Use WinHex to replace Sky3DS 1MB save's 0x58-0x80057 with .3DZ save (from Lukas_2511's research)
6) Import the modified save into Sky3DS MicroSD
7) Run the game and it says save corrupt

Anything wrong or missed?

Nuxx20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He you tried using CFW 4.x and savedatafiler to export save from cartridge to eshop format and then export back into "emulated cartridge" (sky3ds) ?

duke_srg

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
The game: Fire Emblem Awakening JPN
Template: Sky3DS default
Save type: Card1
Save encryption: 2.2.0-4
3DS firmware: 9.5.0-23J
Well, it is 512kb save so you must have 512kb save from 3ds/3dz (if you dumped the real card with R4i, several cards have Toshiba cards which dongle can't recognize and dumps 1mb of repeated data)
Second, did you use CardID from the Sky save/template when created .3dz? Have you tried to load converted save in Gateway?

Nuxx20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't try that. Don't know who has done it.

I didn't try that. Don't know who has done it.

Well I was Able to convert gateway .sav to eShop format in savedatafiler and then from eShop to emulated cartridge (sky3ds rom) under CFW 4.x so I guess if you can dump the cartridge save to GW format you should be successful using this method.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs