Any way to avoid Steam the most as possible ?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Rick Astley, Jun 23, 2017.

1. wurstpistole

wurstpistole N3DS B9S

Nov 19, 2015
    Gambia, The
    I find Steam highly practical. Everything I have on there I can just download wherever I am, whenever I want, no disc needed, game installed, playing, done. Sure thing, I could also do that with GOG through there page or their client, but Steam has been around for me since it was released with HL2 back then, I have a huge library, it will always be a part of my gaming.

InsaneNutter likes this.

2. emigre

emigre Has complex motives

Jan 28, 2009
    London
    I like Steam. But if you to avoid it than look at GOG. DRM free shit right there.

3. frogboy

frogboy lacking both style and grace

Dec 6, 2011
    United States
    if this is seriously a problem, you need to buy a new hard drive.

4. wuboy

wuboy GBAtemp Fan

Sep 11, 2015
    United States
    Well, if there's games that you can only find on Steam, what you can do is go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\(Insert Game Title Here), right click your EXE file, make a shortcut out of that, and put it on your Desktop. You won't need to deal with Steam's bullshit when you launch the game.

5. zSyntex

zSyntex Berserker of myself.

GBAtemp Patron
    zSyntex is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Aug 16, 2017
    Italy
    Bari, Apulia
    Not really, you must use the In-Game Steam menu (Ctrl+Tab) during the game. In some old PCs may cause trouble with the RAM/CPU, as my old PC (Athlon X2 and emh emh.. GeForce G100).
    Now I like Steam, but I hate its community. For example, on Competitive on CS:GO I always get kicked by dumby player that doesn't accept any people who overhelm them.
    Btw, Steam will be always a part of my videogamer life. :creep:

DocAlexei likes this.
  6. Jayro

Jayro MediCat DVD and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    If anyone can find me a digital copy of the racing game BLUR for sale, I'll be in your debt. The only way I can play it is piracy, and I WANT to pay for it.

7. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    As others have said, if you can't find a legal DRM-free version of the game on GoG or something, the only alternative is piracy. Steam actually doesn't update that often at all - maybe like once a month or so if you don't have it set to the beta channel. See http://store.steampowered.com/news/?feed=steam_client for proof. Admittedly though, the update checking when you start it is horribly slow and takes way too long. I have honestly no idea why. But for me and many other people, the convenience of having everything in one place with easy redownloads and the massive sales more than make up for the inconveniences.

8. Jarmenti

Jarmenti Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 25, 2016
    Canada
    buying games in store doesn't completely let you get away from steam, My friend bought fallout in store, and it was simply a steam key LOL

9. Felek666

Felek666 Demonically Uncontrollable

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    reddit.com/r/satania/
    "I hate it because my games from HDD didn't want to move!"
    Well, whatever there's no alternative to Steam. Steam is the biggest digital shop.
    If you don't want Steam and DRM clients overally: Don't play games or just play Indie games. Ubisoft and other developers have thier own DRM like Microsoft Store, EA (Origin) and Ubisoft (Ubi).

10. TeamScriptKiddies

TeamScriptKiddies Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer

Apr 3, 2014
    United States
    Planet Earth :P
    that actually makes sense then. :P

11. oji

oji GBAtemp Regular

Sep 1, 2012
    Serbia, Republic of
    In Soviet Russia you're the Location
    I use only GOG for my licensed games, if there's no interesting title here, I just pirate it, no place for DRM on my PC. As of console gaming, I prefer to buy titles on a physical media.

12. Xathya

Xathya GBAtemp Regular

Aug 20, 2017
    Australia
    green hil zone
    ya steam summersale also allowd me to gets awesomes games like sonic3&knuckle for not expensive :D
    [​IMG]

TeamScriptKiddies likes this.
  13. CuriousTommy

CuriousTommy GBAtemp Fan

Jul 22, 2014
    United States
    As others have stated, the best thing to do is use an alternative like GOG. However, if you want to be able to download steam games you bought without using the steam GUI interface, you can use SteamCMD.

14. mgrev

mgrev Music Addict, Video Game Fanatic

GBAtemp Patron
    mgrev is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 13, 2015
    Norway
    Under Tomato Hentai's stairs
    As many other members have mentioned, GOG is a good choice unless you want to pirate. They recently got Fallout 3/NV and TES V Skyrim as well

15. Subtle Demise

Subtle Demise h

Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    Optical media seems to have fallen out of favor in the PC world, making digital distribution the only viable option. Besides some of those 60+ gb games would require at least a dual layer blu-ray disc, maybe even one of those UHD ones, and how many people really sprung for a blu-ray drive for their gaming rig, let alone a UHD compatible one? I know I still have just a DVD reader/writer in mine, and any HD video I watch is on my hard drive or streaming.

16. mgrev

mgrev Music Addict, Video Game Fanatic

GBAtemp Patron
    mgrev is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 13, 2015
    Norway
    Under Tomato Hentai's stairs
    IIRC Dual-Layer is 50 gb, so it would require at least single-layer BDXL (or those experimental triple-layer or whatever disks). But hey, i paid 200$ for my bd drive so i'd be fine with that

17. Skompc

Skompc Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 22, 2015
    United States
    What i do personally is download the game from steam, then use SSELauncher (SmartSteamEmu) to play them without having to rely on steam... great for playing with my dad with him using the emu and me using steam itself (I'd be willing to share the emu... BUT NO GAMES GOT THAT!)

Last edited by Skompc, Sep 19, 2017 at 7:04 PM
  18. Xathya

Xathya GBAtemp Regular

Aug 20, 2017
    Australia
    green hil zone
    i thought we already conclusioned that steam is way to go and end discussion here? if u dont wanna steam u dont should wanna game :P