Gaming Any reason to not update DSi to 1.4.5 (or final update)?

DChronos

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all, I have 2 DSi units, one with 1.4.4 and I think the other is 1.4.3.

I was wondering, is there any reason anymore for avoiding updating the DSi to its final update? All I know when I checked stuff out long ago was that Acekard wouldn't work anymore and people were saying Acekard was the best one at the time. Have there been other flash cards that came later that were better than Acekard's last DSi compatible card? And is there any reason not to update either of my 2 DSi units? I kinda wanted the ability to use the shop again, but also wanted to have 1 good DSi that I could use the best current DSi flash card with.

If you got flash card suggestions, I'd like those, too, please and thanks. I heard something about Supercard DS2.

P.S. - I posted this using my DSi. B)

nxwing

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
DSiWare has been shut down mahboi. If you want tou access DSiWare again, just use the 3DS eShop and select DSiWare at the beginning. As for your cart, R4i Gold 3DS RTS and Supercard DSTWO (rare) are pretty good competitors that support all DSi and 3DS Firmwares so far. If you have a Gateway, you can install Flashcard Timewarp as a CIA so that all flashcards get unblocked on your 3DS.

Reactions: migles and Margen67

DChronos

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it has, what reason would the shop still be available for, then? It still tells me there's an update available, and to register your DSi on Club Nintendo, you had to enter the shop channel and register to Club Nintendo on it, and you could link your shop to your account. I saw point cards still in store not too long ago for the shop, too... not the dollar amount ones.

Anyway, just to clearly answer, is there no reason to keep my DSi at less than 1.4.5 firmware anymore, and just go ahead and update? I'd still like to access the shop and all stuff and have the final update if there's no reason to keep the lower firmware.

DStwo is what I've been pondering getting since it has more emulation features and I figure the built in processor would make it faster, but I'm a beginner when it comes to knowing anything about the DSi's homebrew and flash card info... a beginner without too much time to research anymore. Last time I was looking at it, there's was only R4i Gold and Acekard 2i and update 1.4.5 firmware just came out.

nxwing

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
If it has, what reason would the shop still be available for, then? It still tells me there's an update available, and to register your DSi on Club Nintendo, you had to enter the shop channel and register to Club Nintendo on it, and you could link your shop to your account. I saw point cards still in store not too long ago for the shop, too... not the dollar amount ones.

Anyway, just to clearly answer, is there no reason to keep my DSi at less than 1.4.5 firmware anymore, and just go ahead and update? I'd still like to access the shop and all stuff and have the final update if there's no reason to keep the lower firmware.

DStwo is what I've been pondering getting since it has more emulation features and I figure the built in processor would make it faster, but I'm a beginner when it comes to knowing anything about the DSi's homebrew and flash card info... a beginner without too much time to research anymore. Last time I was looking at it, there's was only R4i Gold and Acekard 2i and update 1.4.5 firmware just came out.
The DSiWare shop has been closed for a very long time. About 1 year now. It can still be accessed on the 3DS though.

The DSTwo can't emulate games in DSi mode or run DSi homebrew. It can only run NDS, GBA, NDS Homebrew and Special DSTWO Homebrew which means it still cannot use the camera.

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
The DSiWare shop has been closed for a very long time. About 1 year now. It can still be accessed on the 3DS though.

The DSTwo can't emulate games in DSi mode or run DSi homebrew. It can only run NDS, GBA, NDS Homebrew and Special DSTWO Homebrew which means it still cannot use the camera.
DSishop still gets new games every now and then. Maybe a couple a month.

Home_Rowed

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The DSiWare Shop still works, I just checked. What has been closed was the online play servers for DS, DSi, Wii. The Wii Shopping Channel still works as well.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
The DSiWare Shop still works, I just checked. What has been closed was the online play servers for DS, DSi, Wii. The Wii Shopping Channel still works as well.

weird i noticed i could still navigate the wii shop...
and was pretty shocked when i saw wii points cards being sold at a shop after the servers closed..

i thought they would close the shop... but in another hand.. closing the shop would mean refuse money :D

Omer

Trophies
XP
Country
There is no reason not to update your Dsi . Just update your Dsi and you can access the shop and your flashcard will still work

DChronos

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so I'll assume that Acekard 2i is no longer "the best" flashcart, then? Which flashcart is the best for the DSi? (only interested in it for the DSi, not 3DS) Like I said, last I looked into flashcart info there was only R4i and Acekard 2i and everyone I knew said the Acekard was the best. I never bought any, though... too busy with life to get into stuff then, and then the 3DS came out. I just did a hardmod backup x2 of my main 3DS without leaving a trace that I did so (no soldering).

But yeah, if other cards have surpassed Acekard 2i and work on 1.4.5 firmware where Acekard does not, then I'll definately update my DSi.

And yes, people, the shop still works and they still sell points cards, only Nintendo Wi-Fi Channel servers were shut down last year so no online services inside games work anymore... complete bull, they should have hosted it themselves or found another host.

nxwing

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Ok, so I'll assume that Acekard 2i is no longer "the best" flashcart, then? Which flashcart is the best for the DSi? (only interested in it for the DSi, not 3DS) Like I said, last I looked into flashcart info there was only R4i and Acekard 2i and everyone I knew said the Acekard was the best. I never bought any, though... too busy with life to get into stuff then, and then the 3DS came out. I just did a hardmod backup x2 of my main 3DS without leaving a trace that I did so (no soldering).

But yeah, if other cards have surpassed Acekard 2i and work on 1.4.5 firmware where Acekard does not, then I'll definately update my DSi.

And yes, people, the shop still works and they still sell points cards, only Nintendo Wi-Fi Channel servers were shut down last year so no online services inside games work anymore... complete bull, they should have hosted it themselves or found another host.
R4i Gold 3DS RTS has compatibility with AKAIO themes with Wood R4. DSTWO is by far the best but the most rare out of the bunch.

DChronos

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok... so does anyone know where I can get a DStwo? I had hesrd there was some updated card after Supercard DStwo that was either out or coming, too, but maybe just someone's rumor.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and idk if something will happen to my ps3 if i connect it to wifi with hen activated
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I remember when the Atari 2600 was new and exciting lol
    It could get banned from PSN but you can change your ID I think?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient