Any old-timer anime fans here?

hiroakihsu

SUPREME LURKER OF THE WORLD
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I only watch subbed anime in its original language, I can't stand 99% of English dubs despite it being my first language, most English actors in anime make my ears bleed. Started watching anime in the late 90's, but in high school, I started taking Japanese classes and began to get a basic grasp on the language, and have since been biased as I like hearing it in the way it's supposed to sound. That, and actually living in Japan for a couple of years also helped me learn a heck of a lot more, and a deeper appreciation for the culture and language. That, and it's a good way for me to keep up Japanese.

I guess you're not alone here...I also watched subs only and absolutely hated English dubs back in the days...Anime also got me interested in learning Japanese during college, and in learning more of and appreciating the Japanese culture (like TV, music and entertainment) and its people.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

France and japan had common projects and produced French-Japanese series. (Cities of gold, Jayce, Gadget, Ulysse31, etc.)
The mysterious cities of gold is still a classic nowadays, and often broadcasted on TV.

Yes!!! Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors...I remember watching and loving that show as a kid on French TV when my family was travelling in France back in the 80's.

Last edited by hiroakihsu,

V0ltr0n

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just an added amusement. When I first started watching anime, it was called japanimation. At least here in the states. Was confused when ppl started using the term anime. lol

Reactions: Subtle Demise

SomecallmeBerto

The Anti-Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DBZ, Sailor Moon, Ronin Warriors, Tenchi Muyo, gundam wing(forget which one, there are like 100 billion of them), Cowboy Bebop etc.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
VHS tapes? Oh yeah i remember those, horrible, have like maybe 4 episodes of video to watch. :P

But back in my day (Veho pun intended) We used to watch it on these things call CABLE BOXES. We used to get them on like many networks, one called cartoon usa. Back before we started calling them anime we called them cartoons. Until we actually knew the difference.

• Anime = Amination made in japan
  • Cartoon = Animation made anywhere else in the world.
But then toonami came along and went, and came back, and went and came back.... again, probably more times than goku dies in Dragon ball series :P

And now we have the awesomeness that is funimation, with their great DUBS and SUBS, we now witness anime at a good potential. While some others do just as well but eh.... funimation made my childhood good.... 4kids ruined it with TOO MUCH CENSORSHIP, and Poor decisions in video edits. (Yu-Gi-OH FINGER GUNS ANYONE?) :creep

But considering the stuff we had to watch.

• Utena
  • Sailor moon
  • Ranma 1/2
  • Tenchi Muyo (and all other varients)
  • Ruroni Kenshin
  • Dragon ball (And all is varients)
  • Street Fighter II V or whatever is called
  • Any other harem anime i forgot to mention. :P

brickmii82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A rare case where the dub was better. Seriously spit milk and cocoa pebbles all over my TV screen when I saw this.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: For example, one of my other favorite songs from them, with some massive house music influence - +1