The man who cried "Ni".
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Terranova: Strike force Centaury.

A relatively old game (1996.); sort of mid-life, kind of.
With a very new approach to: FPS, tactical team shooters, Mech games; also game controlls, and outdoor 3D graphics.

Now this is a very odd game. Either you have played it (and love it), or you have never heard of it (and have no way of finding out, because Google turns up with NOTHING).

Which is a shame, because the game was great. Even for today's standards. All a remake would need is better graphics (no amount of gameplay could hide the 400*320 resolution; Wii versus PS3 is one thing, but this one really needs better graphics
nyanya.gif
. Maybe on a DS...)
You could give orders to your teammates, you could tune into the video feed from their helmets to see what they were seeing; you could launch spy drones and watch what they were seeing, or just use them to draw fire away from you... You could control the spy drone remotely to target specific objects, or just let it buzz around a specified area... You could put the map on the "big" helmet visor, and leave the external view on the radar screen, so you could walk and plan at the same time... You could toggle between the "battle" visor, with a wide field of view, or the "tactical" visor, with tons of info.

Also, you could choose your weapons, much like Mechwarrior, and each weapon had energy demands, recoil, range, damage, ammo, etc. etc. You could mount an extra power generator, to feed the energy-hungry pulsar rifles, or a toolkit to repair damaged units in the field, extra spy drones, or mini turrets to poke at you enemies and provide a distraction; you had 3 suits to choose from, with varying speeds, armors, weapon slots, and sensor ranges.

My personal favourite were the EMP grenades. They would irradiate the enemies with EM radiation, making them glow on the radar like Christmass trees. You could also use the recoil from the launching to gain speed and increase jump distance. And if you hit a certain enemy type with it, their targeting computer would freeze for a second or two, so you could have one teammate lob the enemy with EMP-s, while the others were safe to pummel them from up close.

And I especially loved the controlls. The mouse would aim your weapon (and click on in-helmet controls), WASD controlled your walking, and QE+RF controlled what you were looking at. Meaning, you could walk one way, look the other, and fire in a third direction entirely. I just loved that. Modern FPSes with all the head-jerking (the mouse controls the view and the aim at the same time) make me twitchy.

I was recently reminded of it, by a thread in a forum I'm on, "What game would you like to see made", and I thought, well... Terranova, of course. I just had to say this somewhere. All of this.

I'll stop now. I have a little nostalgia in my eye :'(

(That line was too good not to use
nyanya.gif
)

Anyway, if any of you are old enough to have played this when it was new, back in the day (when men were real men, women were real women, and small furry creatures from Alpha Centaury were real small furry creatures of Alpha Centaury), say something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Batman joined the Trans Justice League
    +2
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    based af
    +2
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Forget the base, get on the roof.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Is that a bat in your buckle or are you just happy to have me
    Wonder "Woman" lol you wonder if they are a woman?
    The Riddler has questions...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Played a little of snow day glad I didn't spend $30
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's asthetic is okay maybe a good $10 grab
    Lol is it a game about doing cocaine?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably in pvp
    I tried Balders Gate II on the PS2 a few minutes ago, not bad lol
    My back catalog of games is like that scene at the end of Indiana Jones where the arc of the covenant is being stored in a giant ass warehouse
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    At least I can will my game catalog to family members
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's your problem now bitches
    Put it in your will that in order to receive any money they have to beat certain games, hard games and super shitty games...
    Say 20 bucks per Ninja Gaiden on the NES lol 60 bucks for all 3
    People you like "Beat level 1 of Ms Pacman" lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hello kitty ds is required
    +1
    Beat Celebrity Death Match on the PS1 omg tried it earlier today .... Absolutely trash
    Like -37 out of 10
    One of the worst games I have ever played
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make them rank up every cod game out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    "Now I know why he took his own life"
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"