ROM Hack Any japanese hex editor for NDS?

Alex4U

i like pancakes
OP
Trophies
Website
www.google.com.mx
XP
Country
Mexico
Okay, as you can see, I'm currently translating Pokémon Card Game Asobikata DS. The only big problem I have is CrystalTile2 everytime I save corrupts the ROM. I had a lot of text translated, sadly, I didn't did copy and paste of the ROM. So, I need to start from the beginning again.

I'm just wondering, is there another Hex Editor that have Japanese Font that isn't CrystalTile2?
I tried every version of CrystalTile2 and still corrupts the ROM.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Why are you translating in a hex editor?
How does it corrupt the game? Random bytes changed to something else, unintended changes to certain bytes? I tend to find people that use hex editors as the main tool will in turn not take care of pointers, length limits, formatting and other things a text engine might need sorting and that leads to crashing. Usual scenario text decodes as shiftjis, yay, make token change of a couple of characters to something else, change appears in game, yay, continue translating full sentences, overwriting things which the game does not expect, crashes and corruption.

Also it is not really a font as much as encoding support. In this case probably shiftJIS. There are a few out there but not many.

Also assuming the corruption is not random you should be able to dump your changes back out. Also saving a backup every so often is a solid plan in hacking.

Alex4U

i like pancakes
OP
Trophies
Website
www.google.com.mx
XP
Country
Mexico
Why are you translating in a hex editor?
How does it corrupt the game? Random bytes changed to something else, unintended changes to certain bytes? I tend to find people that use hex editors as the main tool will in turn not take care of pointers, length limits, formatting and other things a text engine might need sorting and that leads to crashing. Usual scenario text decodes as shiftjis, yay, make token change of a couple of characters to something else, change appears in game, yay, continue translating full sentences, overwriting things which the game does not expect, crashes and corruption.

Also it is not really a font as much as encoding support. In this case probably shiftJIS. There are a few out there but not many.

Also assuming the corruption is not random you should be able to dump your changes back out. Also saving a backup every so often is a solid plan in hacking.
I used CrystalTile2 because is a useful tool for editing text on NDS games. Also, has Japanese font, it can browse data files on the nds file too. So, that's the reason why I used CrystalTile2. When I save the modified ROM, sometimes it changes all values to FF or 00 (most time empty). I do not change appear in game or something like that, I just modify the text, without modifying 08 and 0A values (that are for scripts, like next line or end line). Yeah, I'm going now to do a Save As... option, I don't want again get that. Anyway, thanks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended