Any good RPG for the PSP?

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by JohnDarkhead, Dec 28, 2012.

Dec 28, 2012

Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    Valkyrie Profile Lenneth is pretty good, but it can drag at times if you recruit everyone you can.

EDIT: If your system is hacked, or capable of supporting it, get yourself a GBA emulator. The GBA is a haven for awesome RPGs. You wouldn't have thought so, but it is. It has the whole lot. Strategy RPGs like Fire Emblem, FF Tactics, Zone of the Enders, etc. Action RPGs like Castlevania. Traditional RPGs like the almighty Golden Sun games and Pokemon. Out of all the files on my PSP, my GBA emulator sees the most action, except possibly Monster Hunter Portable 3rd's English patched ISO.
    Last edited by Blaze163, Dec 29, 2012. Reason: Pressed the wrong button. My bad.

xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    Just curious, but how? It's got a pretty strict time limit and unless you play with a guide you'll miss a ton of stuff because the story propels itself forward. And arguably you'd get better service from the PSX in terms of emulation.

Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    I personally found the story very enjoyable and original, the gameplay had a unique dynamic as I tried to balance training my team for later battles while also trying to explore and recruit new Einherjar, it had great replay value because of the hidden storyline running through that I didn't even spot the first time. It was just a great value package in my opinion. It's not without its faults, like Lenneth's love interest being quite alarmingly wooden, but overall its a solid effort that is at least worth a look.

Also, to my knowledge the only difference between the PSX and PSP versions is that the cutscenes are anime in the PSX original and CG in the remake. Unless I missed something? Surely a PSP game will play better on a PSP than a PSX game would.

xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    My second point was more in terms of GBA vs PSX for what the Topic starter is asking for. However, you hit upon an interesting point in relation to Valkyrie Profile because the PSP version is a port of the Japanese release, whilst the PSX version is obviously a US port which was slightly improved before it's release (which is odd that they didn't just port the original US release to the PSP)

IIRC manipulating the RNG for the Caves of Oblivion is easier in the Japanese release. However, You can't sort items properly, you can only change equipment on your active party, If you switch Lenneths weapons from bow to sword or vice-versa, all her skills will unequip themselves which can be problematic depending on your ending.

Both versions of the game are viable, but there's no obvious winner for me. Although since i have a mint original of the US PSX release i'm somewhat biased.

IBNobody I try to keep myself amused.

Message Count:
    United States
    I recommend Valkyria Chronicles 2. I found it to be better than the PS3 version (VC1).

BAHIM Z 360 B-but I'm not a new member :(

Message Count:
    Bahrain
    If you like old school RPG with random encounter OVERLOAD then play Final Fantasy 1...The game also has awesome 2D graphics IMO :)

(For god sake I can't walk for 10 seconds in a dungeon without a fight :wtf:)

taken New Member

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    It's made by NIS America. A game developed by Hit Maker
    Last edited by taken, Jan 3, 2013

avran89 ALWB 4 LIFE!!! MOOSE!!!

Message Count:
    United States
    Unchained Blades
    God Eater Burst
    Brave Story
    Valkyria Chronicles 2 (or 3 if you know Japanese)
    Ragnarok Tactics is a visually good Tactical RPG
    Gungnir was released a few weeks ago, I haven't played it yet but from the gameplay videos, It looks nice
    Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time is a good Real Time RPG
    EZ-Megaman likes this.

IBNobody I try to keep myself amused.

Message Count:
    United States
    Someone is translating VC3.

http://vc3translationproject.wordpress.com/

Skeet1983 New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    The Star Ocean games are good. First one I actually played was Star Ocean 3 for PS2.
  1. buyme56
    This message by buyme56 has been removed from public view by Vulpes Abnocto, Dec 30, 2012.
    Dec 30, 2012

shazwanmuhammad New Member

Message Count:
    Malaysia
    Yeah, it's kind of that also. If you see the genre at gamefaqs, it have same genre as P3P, Console-Style RPG. It's not bad also if you love RPG.

Also, if you love First person RPG, you can play games like Sol Trigger/Unchained Blades.
    Last edited by shazwanmuhammad, Dec 30, 2012

marcus134 New Member

Message Count:
    Canada
    how about zettai hero project?
    it's a NIS flavored rogue like

avran89 ALWB 4 LIFE!!! MOOSE!!!

Message Count:
    United States
    I've been stalking that page for nearly a year eagerly waiting for a patch
    EZ-Megaman likes this.
    • Newcomer

JohnDarkhead New Member

Message Count:
    Greece
    Yeah my system is hacked and I have a gba emulator! ;) That's how I have played Fire Emblem! And yeah Pokemon is awesome..I also have a GBC emulator on which I play Pokemon Yellow and Crystal!

I have played ff 1 on the PSP...I really liked it..however I never managed to beat it... :unsure:

Thank you!

Never heard of it...Can you describe it a little?

marcus134 New Member

Message Count:
    Canada
    tough request
    for the rogue like part:
    computer generated level
    arpg-like gameplay except with semi real-time or seamless turn based sys ( enemy take action at the pace you're taking yours: don't act for 5 minutes, the enemies won't move or attack for 5 minutes)
    perma-death : this game handle perma-death differently, instead you're sent back to your home base but stripped out your money and items

NIS flavor:
    NIS stat system
    instead of having to fight through one dungeon and having perma-death giving you difficulty and gameplay lenght, there are multiple dungeon
    upon completion/failure of a dungeon, you're stripped of you level which are added to your total level count, meaning that every time you start a dungeon you're lvl 1.
    total level count allow you to unlock slot in your shadowgram, the shadowgram let you customize your base stat and stat growth in addition to some other perk
    item forge/synthesis system
    home base, you've got a selection of building which gives you different thing, like set-up caravan stop between floors, get lunch box delivered or set dungeon difficulty (for better reward), etc.
    There is much more time to be spent outside of the story.

the only moot point for me was the childish tone of the story, the way they were parodying kinda made me wish for something a bit better in terms of narration or story arc (or maybe i got spoiled with disgaea 1), especially considering that rogue-like game generally appeal to more mature gamers though this game has a very accessible gameplay and interface and all the complexity can be skipped to complete the main story
    JohnDarkhead likes this.

potato3334 New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    totally forgot to mention phantasy star portable 2, its more action-y but its a great mmorpg to play online
    JohnDarkhead likes this.
    • Newcomer

JohnDarkhead New Member

Message Count:
    Greece
    I see that seems interesting! ;)

I have played and really enjoyed both Phantasy Star Portable 1,2... Awesome games..!

Takanato New Member

Message Count:
    Jamaica
    And Don't forget Jeanne'D'Arc :D

Also did you try Dragoneer's Aria?
    Last edited by Takanato, Jan 2, 2013
    • Newcomer

JohnDarkhead New Member

Message Count:
    Greece
    Hmm...I know Jeanne 'D' Arc... what kind of RPG is Dragoneer's Aria? :)

Takanato New Member

Message Count:
    Jamaica