Hacking any current models besides used have.....

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
No game store is required to do console updates and rarely any store does it - employees are just humans and humans are innately lazy. Some do just to test if the console isn't banned on PSN, but that's not a rule.

None of the Super Slim consoles are hackable in any shape or form, early Slims are easily hackable/downgradable, later ones can be tricky (some soldering skills required) but it can be done. Anything that's not a Super Slim can be modified as far as I know.

If you want a console that's already on 3.55, you better start browsing EBay or good pre-owned console stores because it's going to take you a while before you find one. If you're lucky, you'll buy a pre-modded one Online.

I'd use the same method I used when getting PSP's back in the day when not all of them could be modified - walk door to door and demand testing the system before purchasing. No testing, no sale and they usually want to sell stuff that's been on the shelves for over 2 years taking space and collecting dust. That way you'll test the firmware yourself. (I pretty much said that "I need to have a look at battery compartments because I'm collecting particular editions of the PSP... because I'm cool like that. Whenever I found one that was too new, I just said "Oh, sorry, I already have one of those... different colour but same motherboard... so no, do you have other ones?" *insert pretty smile*)

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
isn't gamestop required by sony to update used consoles? (to prevent cfw installation of course)

What are they gonna do if they don't? Not send them any more used consoles? Sony can't make GS do it, but it's entirely possible they do it anyway, just to keep someone from coming back yelling at them when a game won't run without an update (and they're dumb and don't know how to do that themselves).

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
What are they gonna do if they don't? Not send them any more used consoles? Sony can't make GS do it, but it's entirely possible they do it anyway, just to keep someone from coming back yelling at them when a game won't run without an update (and they're dumb and don't know how to do that themselves).
To be fair, sometimes it is a pain in the d*ckhole with some systems. For example, after I set up the time on my PSVita first thing after I unboxed it, it asked me to sign in to PSN. Fine, I could do that over 3G. Next, it asked me to update because the firmware was too low to sign in. Naturally I wasn't anywhere near a hotspot so I've decided to cancel and sign into PSN later, but no - it took me back to the beginning of the setup in a perpetual loop and you can only use WiFi to update, rendering the system completely useless until I came back home with no option to use a Guest account. Fortunately they fixed that with a later update but damn - did I waste some time going straight to Uni with it after getting it. And no, we do have WiFi in Uni, it's just an unsuported format (WPA2 Enterprise).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Mkay.