Any chance/plans to see a grip with audio jack?

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by cloudfe, Dec 7, 2017 at 3:59 PM.

1. cloudfe
    OP

cloudfe GBAtemp Regular

Feb 24, 2013
    Belgium
    I live in a not-too-big apartment, and weekend's nights are the only moments of the week in which I can play for 3-4 hours undisturbed (married) (happily btw).
    That's when I use the tv to play with the Switch. But I can't make too much noise. The PS4 controller is perfect for these kind of nights.

Do you know if there are plans for a grip accessory with an audio jack?
    I can't find anything around :(

Tumoche likes this.
  2. fedehda

fedehda GBAtemp Regular

GBAtemp Patron
    fedehda is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 7, 2017
    Argentina
    At your current screen. And in heaven
    I didn't see any grip with audio jack. I loved ps4 controller for that.

Instead, I have a 3mts wired headphone that I use connecting it directly to the Switch in docked mode (yes, it works that way also)

3. TheCyberQuake

TheCyberQuake Certified Geek

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    No. That would require the switch to support either Bluetooth audio or audio from the controller, which it does neither. You can't just make a grip that does it. Easiest method would be a 3.5mm Bluetooth adapter and bluetooth headphones.

4. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    Well, if Nintendo ever understood what online gaming entailed, it wouldn't be an issue. Maybe in the future...

BORTZ and TheCyberQuake like this.
  5. Shadowfied

Shadowfied GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 6, 2014
    Nintendo will never catch onto online, sadly.

They're using friend codes in 2017, they're offloading social functions to smartphones, their online services and first party games' matchmaking are in levels of retardation. We have given Nintendo every opportunity with the Switch to provide us with a DECENT online experience and they can't do that.
    Even on the 3DS it was outdated with friend codes. Heck, even with the DS. I mean what in the name of fuck, WHEN was FRIEND CODES EVER a good idea? We've had uniquely identifiable TEXT strings since fucking email aka since the birth of the internet pretty much.

I'll always love their first party games, but they are NEVER gonna understand online. NEVER.

Last edited by Shadowfied, Dec 7, 2017 at 7:58 PM
  6. gumbyx84

gumbyx84 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 23, 2010
    United States
    While there isn't a grip with a headphone jack, there are alternatives. Like fedehda mentioned, you could hook up a pair of headphones while the Switch is docked. If you won't want to deal with cables dragged across the floor, you might be interested looking over this post:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/adding-bluetooth-audio-to-the-switch.485370/#post-7638845

In your particualr situation, I think the $40 for the Bluetooth transceiver worth the investment. I'm tempted to get one myself so I can get some use out of my the Bluetooth headphones I bought myself on Black Friday last year. lol

7. cloudfe
    OP

cloudfe GBAtemp Regular

Feb 24, 2013
    Belgium
    Thank you for the link - it is indeed an interesting project.

I am also considering the fact that I have two left hands, and that Nintendo added support for usb wireless headphones on 4.0. And so it may be a wiser investment to purchase something like the PS Gold (which seems to have good reviews), with the added benefit to be able to use it with my PS4 as well.

8. MeowMeowMeow

MeowMeowMeow Senpai

Apr 1, 2016
    Netherlands
    Putin's Palace
    This. Using friend codes in 3ds was a pain in the ass. They haven't learned their lesson.

Shadowfied likes this.
  9. Shadowfied

Shadowfied GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 6, 2014
    You should had seen my fucking face when they went BACK to friend codes on the Switch after having NNID on the Wii U. Like are they actually fucking retarded for real?

MeowMeowMeow likes this.
  10. gumbyx84

gumbyx84 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 23, 2010
    United States
    I was talking about Bluetooth transceiver dongle in the post I linked to, though a wireless USB headset works if you are only looking to use headphones then the Switch is docked.

11. Tomy Sakazaki

Tomy Sakazaki GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 23, 2006
    Brazil
    You can use USB female to USB C adapter. Also most Bluetooth transceiver adds a lot of audio lag, whereas with a compatible USB headset this lag is way reduced.

Tumoche likes this.