Hardware anti aliasing x 2 when 3D turned off. 3D on = no anti aliasing

lostdwarf

OP
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarleeds.com
XP
Country
why is it not used in 3D mode? I know capcom mentioned the 3D effect does natural antialiasing anyway but would having it turned on look wrong in 3D? Or have a bad effect?
Only turning it off for when the 3D slider is on seems odd since wouldn't it look better if they kept it on?
Ps. I am not a tech head so i appologise for my nievety.

source. Kotaku on capcoms recent res evil 3ds demo.
Sorry cant link i am on my phone.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Well, anti-aliasing blends the edge pixels of the object with the background. and if the popped out object has popped out parts of the background in the edges, it surely wouldn't look too good...
This is just a guess though, but I study in this area sooo... I think it's a pretty good guess
smile.gif

HiroshiYamauchi

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
In my opinion, there's no anti-aliasing when it's in the 3D mode due to hardware limitations. When the 3D effect is on, the 3DS must render two slighty different images at the same time, which consumes processing power, but when the effect is turned off, the 3DS renderizes only one image and it make the use of anti-aliasing viable.

pachura

Trophies
XP
Country
It's a matter of performance. Pica200 implements the most straightforward antialiasing - FSAA - which basically boils down to rendering the whole scene twice as big and then downsampling it to the screen size. Which unfortunately doubles (quadraples ?) required fillrate.

In 2D mode, most games will not use the full resolution of 3DS' screen (800x240), but just 400x240. Which means you cut the number of pixels to be rendered in half. Which means you gain some free fillrate which can be spent on antialiasing or other postprocessing.

There are smarter ways to do antialiasing (e.g. instead of processing the full scene, just apply it around sharp edges when the "jaggies" are), however Pica200 does not support them out of the box. Game developers on PSP have been doing some smart tricks to achieve this, so maybe when 3DS is better explored, antialiasing will be possible also in 3D.

lostdwarf

OP
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarleeds.com
XP
Country
Issac said:
Well, anti-aliasing blends the edge pixels of the object with the background. and if the popped out object has popped out parts of the background in the edges, it surely wouldn't look too good...
This is just a guess though, but I study in this area sooo... I think it's a pretty good guess
smile.gif

Ahh i see, by pop out you mean in 3D mode? This makes a lot of sense as the blended jaggy and background would become part foreground with the effect on in 3d! So simple.
Thank you. My curiosity is quashed x

pachura

Trophies
XP
Country
lostdwarf said:
Ahh i see, by pop out you mean in 3D mode? This makes a lot of sense as the blended jaggy and background would become part foreground with the effect on in 3d! So simple.

Is it ? Starfox 3DS seems to be using antialiasing in the stereoscopic mode...

lostdwarf

OP
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarleeds.com
XP
Country
[/quote]
It can't, capcom said it turns off once the 3d slider is used. Antialiasing is active at x2 only when in 2D and not active at all in 3D. Hiroshi's reasoning behind this explaines why this is the case aswell as capcoms post.

pachura

Trophies
XP
Country
lostdwarf said:
pachura said:
It can't, capcom said it turns off once the 3d slider is used. Antialiasing is active at x2 only when in 2D and not active at all in 3D.

Capcom was just discussing capabilities of their engine, MT Framework Mobile, not capabilities of the whole handheld.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Anti-aliasing when the 3D effect is off? SWEET! That'll look great if I get tired of 3D or wanna let people watch me.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
I have to say, the one thing that's really disappointed me in terms of the otherwise excellent previews of 3DS games is the god awful jaggies.

pachura

Trophies
XP
Country
Anyway, it won't be proper 2x2 antialiasing, just 2x1, if they want to blend two images into one. 2 x 400x240 -> 400x240 gives you horizontal antialiasing only.

lostdwarf

OP
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarleeds.com
XP
Country
it is not blending 2 images into 1, when in 2d you have 400 lines unused, it turns them off. The only time it is 'blending' 2 images is in 3d mode and their is no antialiasing then. The 3d slider 'blends' 2 images by separating them further apart from each other to create a subtle to extreme 3d illusion across 800 lines. When it is off, only one fully antialiased 2d image 400 lines across is displayed.
It would be stupid if 2 images running at the same time with the same image using 800 lines. Completely pointless and a waste of energy and processing power.

lostdwarf

OP
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarleeds.com
XP
Country
BlueStar said:
I have to say, the one thing that's really disappointed me in terms of the otherwise excellent previews of 3DS games is the god awful jaggies.
I wouldn't worry, in 2d it will look smooth and crisp but in 3d they turn off the antialiasing but... Your eyes see the jaggy from 2 different perspectives apparently smoothing it all out gorgeously, better than 2D according to gonintendo. Sorry dont have the link.
Screenshots of ps3 games have jaggies! Blame static images lol

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
With 3D smoothing out the jaggies in 3D mode, and anti-aliasing helping out in 2D mode, I'm sure jaggies will not be a problem. And Twinretro's right, jaggies ALWAYS look worse in screenshots.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: I even convinced my dad to watch Fallout lol. He's enjoying it so far