Hacking Another USB issue

alainvey

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi there,

Sorry to fill the forum with more threads like this, but my patience has worn thin trying to resolve this on my own.

I'm using vWii with a WD Elements 1TB drive formatted roughly like this: 450GB NTFS; 450GB NTFS; 32GB FAT. I have moved the source files around quite a bit in experimentation, so I think my Wii games are present on all partitions at the moment.

I am using a Y cable, because the Wii U seems to need one with this drive. My Wii expertise only runs to about 2011, but I believe I installed the cios that uses only 1 USB slot with maximum compatibility, rather than the one that uses both at the expense of some compatibility.

I am having a variety of issues with the detection and initialization of the drive with different homebrew apps:

1) CFG Loader - Using the bottom USB slot the program boots and detects everything fine, but it goes back to the system menu when I try to load a Wii game. Using the top USB slot fixes the Wii game booting issue, but it causes CFG Loader to freeze on the splash screen. If I unplug the drive before loading the app then it boots fine, and will then correctly detect the drive when I plug it in. Games load fine this way.

2) SNES9X - I mostly load from SD, but I was recently playing a game located on the USB drive and experienced two issues. First, the drive will occasionally not be detected (this is intermittent, and might be a red herring). Second, and more importantly, when I exit the game after playing for some time it fails to re-detect the USB drive. In this state I also cannot exit SNES9x - the ui is still responsive, but clicking settings or exit (the only buttons present) does nothing. The home button does nothing, and trying to switch off the console with the Wiimote causes a black screen and requires unplugging the console to reboot. I am using the top USB slot.

3) WiiMC - no issues whatsoever using exactly the same HDD setup, either USB slot.

Anyone have any ideas? Thank so much for any help you can give.

JaapDaniels

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi there,

Sorry to fill the forum with more threads like this, but my patience has worn thin trying to resolve this on my own.

I'm using vWii with a WD Elements 1TB drive formatted roughly like this: 450GB NTFS; 450GB NTFS; 32GB FAT. I have moved the source files around quite a bit in experimentation, so I think my Wii games are present on all partitions at the moment.

I am using a Y cable, because the Wii U seems to need one with this drive. My Wii expertise only runs to about 2011, but I believe I installed the cios that uses only 1 USB slot with maximum compatibility, rather than the one that uses both at the expense of some compatibility.

I am having a variety of issues with the detection and initialization of the drive with different homebrew apps:

1) CFG Loader - Using the bottom USB slot the program boots and detects everything fine, but it goes back to the system menu when I try to load a Wii game. Using the top USB slot fixes the Wii game booting issue, but it causes CFG Loader to freeze on the splash screen. If I unplug the drive before loading the app then it boots fine, and will then correctly detect the drive when I plug it in. Games load fine this way.

2) SNES9X - I mostly load from SD, but I was recently playing a game located on the USB drive and experienced two issues. First, the drive will occasionally not be detected (this is intermittent, and might be a red herring). Second, and more importantly, when I exit the game after playing for some time it fails to re-detect the USB drive. In this state I also cannot exit SNES9x - the ui is still responsive, but clicking settings or exit (the only buttons present) does nothing. The home button does nothing, and trying to switch off the console with the Wiimote causes a black screen and requires unplugging the console to reboot. I am using the top USB slot.

3) WiiMC - no issues whatsoever using exactly the same HDD setup, either USB slot.

Anyone have any ideas? Thank so much for any help you can give.

could be some apps for wii don't use the right syscalls for vwii! this just means it uses outdated files to code.
most apps built after hbc 1.2 should work.
other's need a new release and tuning.

alainvey

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
That would make sense, but I'm using the most recent versions of all of these. I will play around with Wiiflow, which I was using at an earlier phase of this ordeal, and see if I can get it to play nice with the drive.

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're only using a 1TB drive it would really be better to just use one FAT32 partition. Wii Backup Manager or WIT can be used to split up Wii games into 4GB chunks so they will fit on the drive. I was also under the impression the FAT32 partition needed to be the first one on the drive for homebrew.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Mkay.