Hacking Annoying bug with USBLoaderGX forwarder

diegoisawesome

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Until recently, my HDD was set up with a small FAT32 partition at the beginning and a larger WBFS partition right after. However, I wanted to start using the hard drive for other purposes too, so I reformatted it to have a massive NTFS partition at the beginning and a tiny FAT32 partition at the back.

Everything works perfectly for this purpose, including USBLoaderGX itself, if I run it from the Homebrew Channel. However, the forwarder does not, refusing to notice that USBLoaderGX is even installed on the HDD and taking me back to the Wii menu right after a very short "loading" screen. I've tried everything I can but nothing wants to work. Help?

Also, I can't shift around the FAT32 partition to be first since the NTFS partition needs to be primary for other uses.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Primary and first one is different.
Primary is a state of a partition, opposed to Extended/logical partitions.
A device can have 4 primary partitions, if you want more than 4 partitions, you need to use an extended partition as one of the 4 primary and create logical partitions inside the extended partition.
The forwarder is compatible with both primary and extended/logical partitions, so it's not a problem.

I guess what you want is to keep the NTFS partition the first one on the drive, and FAT32 located after it.
The forwarder checks SD card then up to 8 USB partitions (shared among two USB ports) until it finds the apps/usbloader_gx/boot.dol file.

Which size is your HDD?
I got a report with HDD bigger than 2TB not working with the forwarder if boot.dol was on USB.
Did you try to put the boot.dol on SD instead? I would be interested in that result, to see if the issue is the forwarder not finding the boot.dol on big partition/drives.

diegoisawesome

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My HDD is 500GB, and the forwarder used to work fine with the boot.dol file being on the FAT32 partition on my old format (which was when the FAT32 partition was primary).
I will try booting from an SD card when I can, but it'll probably work fine considering that it used to work fine with the old method.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
it's only to see if the issue is the USB drive/partition, or the boot.dol location.

It should work fine either on SD or USB with 500GB drive. I don't know why it's not working anymore.

diegoisawesome

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really sorry, but I haven't been able to get my hands on an SD card long enough to test this. However, I tried a few other forwarders and they also don't seem to work. Maybe it's something in the SDK? Or what could I be doing wrong from my side?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Coming.