Homebrew Anime is so powerful it can hack Wii U's.

VariablePwn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
It would seem kind of pointless to show an exploit and end up not having it released, but that's just my two cents. Good thing it will be released after all.
As much as I understand your (and mine too) frustration, depending on iAqua's thought processes, it might be that they want Quark to release the exploit. By showing it works in concept means that Quark, who appears to be busy with assignments etc, isn't chasing smoke. It means when he comes back to it when he has free time, he'll know there's a way to do it.

It's also nice of iAqua's for not stealing his thunder too, in a way, as much as that might frustrate some people. In saying that, there is a way, and it's possible. Now it's just patience.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As much as I understand your (and mine too) frustration, depending on iAqua's thought processes, it might be that they want Quark to release the exploit. By showing it works in concept means that Quark, who appears to be busy with assignments etc, isn't chasing smoke. It means when he comes back to it when he has free time, he'll know there's a way to do it.

It's also nice of iAqua's for not stealing his thunder too, in a way, as much as that might frustrate some people. In saying that, there is a way, and it's possible. Now it's just patience.

I know, I know, it's just in the past, people have been burned by teasers. Just saying.

Reactions: Ryccardo

Bobcivil86

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not to scare anyone too bad, but if Crunchyroll themselves decide to release a patch when they catch wind of this, there's no stopping them. When I first downloaded the app, I disn't download the update, as a result, the app wouldn't open since it i's Internet based. Correct me if I'm wrong but at this point we are at crunchyroll's mercy. Since this could be used to install a perminent entry point, all is not lost. Just hope crunchy doesn't shut us down before we even have a chance.

Last edited by Bobcivil86,

Trumpasaurus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not a factor. You can block the version check. It's just HTTP. It's also *nuts* that no one has released this yet. It's just a matter of taking the 5.5.1 exploit and making the slightest modifications to it....
How do you block the version check for an app?

epicmartin7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry guys. Didn't know the video was a joke :/. Although Quark is still attempting to reach that goal. So I wouldn't necessarily give up hope just yet for those stuck on 5.5.2.

EDIT: I'm a slowbro and @Taven pointed it out first. My bad.

Last edited by epicmartin7,
Reactions: Deleted User

C0mm4nd_

Aspirant Wii U homebrew dev :P
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Italy
It's also *nuts* that no one has released this yet. It's just a matter of taking the 5.5.1 exploit and making the slightest modifications to it....

LOL no
First, browser is allowed to use something called JIT(or codegen) Area which is writable from userland & executable (thus if you get code running on it, rip DEP/NX)
Ofc you can't just access it via the mp4, js, whatever.... you can only load the code into the heap/stack that cannot be executed (DEP/NX). Solution: ROP. You can create a ROP chain to copy our code from the heap/stack to the JIT and then make the kernel execute that.

Now, crunchyroll hasn't access to the JIT so you have to defeat DEP/NX without it. Soultion: Kernel exploit

We already have a kexploit but usually we execute it in the JIT area. Now we don't have the JIT area so we have to INCLUDE it in the ROP chain (which is not really easy)

D

Deleted User

You don't seem to follow my post. I am not saying that you take the exact same Mp4 and get the app to load it. I am saying that the same flaws are present - ancient version of webkit with the same vulnerabilities. This isn't complicated work. This is typical day-to-day exploit development stuff. No matter how many words (let's ignore that these aren't complicated concepts, though they are to the typical Gbatemp member) you use to try to convince less technical members otherwise, what I say remains true.

Maybe you don't see it as 'making the slightest modifications' because you are unskilled, so said modifications are a significant challenge to you. That may be why my post doesn't make sense to you.
Uhh, no.
You're incorrect, Command_4 is correct. If you can do it, do it and release it you pleb, because if it was so easy it'd have been done as soon as possible. Crunchyroll doesn't have JIT. Browserhax uses JIT. Thus, it's not "the same flaws", it's "some flaws that have to be edited".

Safari isn't a version of WebKit. Safari is a browser that uses WebKit, like all modern browsers do. Please stop talking about things you know nothing about.
They're talking about UA.
"Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_12_6) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/59.0.3071.115 Safari/537.36" is my current UA; browsers use the version number of Safari when talking about the webkit build it seems.

Reactions: rw-r-r_0644
D

Deleted User

This isn't something that can be argued. He is wrong, period. This is a technical reality. Oxygen exists regardless of who denies it.

The user agent isn't what defines a browser, which you would know if you were anything beyond someone who pretends to be technical. If you actually knew things, you would get this.
Oh that's cute, you literally joined yesterday to whine? OK.
No, he is not incorrect. He actually explained why the exploit cannot just be copied, something you haven't done since you clearly haven't made a Wii U exploit.
Furthermore, the UA is for compatibility reasons.

Reactions: rw-r-r_0644

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Uhh, no.
You're incorrect, Command_4 is correct. If you can do it, do it and release it you pleb, because if it was so easy it'd have been done as soon as possible. Crunchyroll doesn't have JIT. Browserhax uses JIT. Thus, it's not "the same flaws", it's "some flaws that have to be edited".

They're talking about UA.
"Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_12_6) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/59.0.3071.115 Safari/537.36" is my current UA; browsers use the version number of Safari when talking about the webkit build it seems.
Hedgeberg is trying to implement the Pegasus exploit on wii u (in fact she is streaming that work right now). So maybe we will see something done with that SoonTM

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1