ROM Hack Animal Crossing: New Leaf ROM Hacking

SaraTravelo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Never got any crash while changing my TPC picture, so yeah that's weird !
I don't know if Romfs builder encrypt it back, I don't think so... it's just meant to repack the romfs file.

ACNL have updates or it's still the 1.0 version ? Because HANS doesn't read update, and I heard that our EU/US games aren't the same as JP games (our games are "patched", because there was a duplication glitch on jp games). That could be the reason why it freezes

I think is a problem with Hans.
I've done modifications to my Pokémon X but I can't do the same with Animal Crossing, is always freezing in the title screen.

EpicInki

Trophies
Website
EpicInki.com
XP
Country
Never got any crash while changing my TPC picture, so yeah that's weird !
I don't know if Romfs builder encrypt it back, I don't think so... it's just meant to repack the romfs file.

ACNL have updates or it's still the 1.0 version ? Because HANS doesn't read update, and I heard that our EU/US games aren't the same as JP games (our games are "patched", because there was a duplication glitch on jp games). That could be the reason why it freezes

I did try check if there was any updates, all I could find was a 1 block data that I deleted, it was probably Streetpass access or something, not sure if there was any though. Even if there was, I don't think it would allow us on the game if HANS can't read the update. I'll check again though.
EDIT: If the problem is HANS then I guess we will have to wait or inform Smealum however I doubt he would have a clue since I don't think he owns the game to figure out why.

Last edited by EpicInki,

Reserved

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hm. I have the same issues. It crashes right after the title screen is starting, after the Villager loads up. I tried a simple BCSTM edit and removed the first 1000 thingies with HxD, so it should be working...

There's no update data for Animal Crossing, either. I'm wondering if there's the update data on the cartridge itself, but isn't directly installed into the game? This would tie into what @MasterLel is saying, too. Anybody got any ideas?

NeoKamek

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there something possibly wrong with the unpacker or repacker? Creating a new romfs from the results of the romfs extraction produce a different-sized file than the original, so clearly something isn't working correctly.

DISCLAIMER: This is my first foray into 3DS rom hacking so I may have no fucking clue what I'm talking about

Ridge

they/them
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Norway
Anyone got a clue how to get the sounds from RomFS/Sound/ASR/ENG/*.bin files, if it's possible? Specifically, I'm trying to find the UI sounds but I haven't found them in GardenSound.bcsar yet.

MRJPGames

Pretty great guy
Trophies
Website
fizazy.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Check this : http://animalcrossing.wikia.com/wiki/Glitch

"The English version of the game cannot use the glitch because the game automatically comes with the Japanese update v1.1, which cannot be removed."

As we know, hans doesn't read updatesr

Someone with a japanese game should try...
Hans doesn't load external update data, if it's included in the rom it will just load it as it is no longer an update but just part of the game at that point.

Shrinefox

Persona Modder
Trophies
Website
shrinefox.com
XP
Country
United States
Anyone got a clue how to get the sounds from RomFS/Sound/ASR/ENG/*.bin files, if it's possible? Specifically, I'm trying to find the UI sounds but I haven't found them in GardenSound.bcsar yet.
Try this, it worked for me.

Thanks for pointing me to the right romfs dumping tools, I finally got a full dump and found everything I'm looking for. Sadly I don't see a way to edit textures until Ohana3DS updates again. As for the music I think it is possible to repack it, but I'll wait to see if anyone finds a solution to the freezing first because I'm sure the same thing will happen to me if I try.

Is there something possibly wrong with the unpacker or repacker? Creating a new romfs from the results of the romfs extraction produce a different-sized file than the original, so clearly something isn't working correctly.

Yeah that does sound pretty suspicious, but I think that happened back when I worked with Yaz0 compression tools on the Gamecube. It never rebuilt exactly the same but still usually worked without crashing, so who knows

Reactions: Ridge

MrDavidPerson

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I am extremely interested in this, I will be keeping an eye on this thread.
Also does anyone with a complete file system dump know if Animal Crossing New Leaf uses color pallets
with the textures like in Animal Crossing City Folk because when I texture hacked Animal Crossing City Folk
the pallets gave me so many problems.

D

Deleted User

It's not the game that breaks. I tried using a unmodified romfs file and it still crashed at the title screen. It's either braindump, or hans.

AshleyCummings

Gamer Girl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is interesting!! I love to edit my town with the editor but would love to go further o.o ...oh and duplication trick works wonders I have U.S Animal crossing with all its updates ^-^ its just a drop in another town save and cut wifi trick easy once you do it a few times ( the game gets boring after having it from day one of being released and after many dropped from playing, me and my friend just started finding new ways to have fun so the the game didn't get boring, duplication for mazes and such and when the save editor was possible on 3ds hacks I edited the save to make the town unique and fun to play hide and seek in so many hidden spots o.o ..
I wish to change music and ALL building textures meaning shop ones too would love that o.o maybe even make the water a different color like ..pink ^0^ so many ideas...yet im a newb so I gots a long wait before I try anything XD

Ar7ific1al

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As others have reported, modifying any of the files results in freezing as soon as the main menu loads.

As a side note, is there anything out there to (properly) edit the UMSBT files found in the script folders? I resorted to using Notepad++ to modify them. There is a lot of jumbled information not readable in NP++, but editing via HxD (or other hex editor) isn't very ideal.

Shrinefox

Persona Modder
Trophies
Website
shrinefox.com
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, on 3dsdev smea says he doesn't own ac:nl, so out of luck there.
I was just hoping he would at least know if HANS romhacks have compatability issues with games and that this isn't a lone occurrence, but if not that's a shame.

editing via HxD (or other hex editor) isn't very ideal.
Seconding this, right now it's my preferred method but the [00] between every letter is annoying to work around. Maybe somebody could make one, the format seems simple enough.

Naked_Snake

Constant Miscreant
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

Mega-Mew

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
With @scotline we are worked on the ROM a long time ago.
We can do:
Custom bfres
WVW69iWDNr0hKFmt8T

WVW69iV0tGgL6FH-TL

Custom Keyboard (romfs\Layout\Swkbd\message)
WVW69iVYyw85fqtnYC

Corruption

WVW69iR0qd4WsGzLkF

MlWA773FPoEmvaq1do

Custom texture
WVW69iQElqYInzLZot

And stuff like that
MlWA771OAEMEkFZeoF

For example with this file we can change the ground
romfs\Bg\Data\grd_jmp.bin

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYQHAAABAACNUKFJh6EElw

I will not say everything, so good luck for those who want to do some thing.

Last edited by Mega-Mew,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse