StreetPass Riilay: The HomePass method on your phone

5ajm4zR.png

Hi! I'm Zurce (formerly DanteMx).
I have developed an App for Android that cycles the method i use to change the Mac Address of our devices, It's called StreetPass Riilay and you can download it today.

What are the requirements for this app?
As far as i know, this app should work for anyone that can change it's mac by editing the file /data/etc/wlan_macaddr0, have mobile data and root. If you fulfill this requirements this app should work out of the box with you and you should be a Happy User.

Ohh man! the app didn't work for me!
Don't worry, that's the reason the app is here , if the method that the App use to change the Mac doesn't work for you (you should see a permission denied Toast) it's probably because you're on a different device or Android version that i am, I'm currently running Sony Jelly Bean on my Xperia Z, so anyone with that set up could make the app work, and if you have a different set up and you have found a way to change the mac, please explain it to me on an Image tutorial, since (I repeat) I don't have the device and it doesn't work for me if you tell me "hey bro edit this file in /data/ called nvum.something" if i don't have the device and I don't know what i should edit from that file.

The app still a beta and most of the work that it needs to be done it's about the compatibility with the different kernels and their way to manage the Mac Address. If you guys help me we probably can get this working for most of device in 1 or 2 weeks.

Cool! You Got Any Screens?
I sure do:

3DZSnOAh.png
1IcMhUWh.png

Awesome, another question, Will this App work for Tablets?
While i don't recommend to run this app on a Tablet it should run with no problem, most of the Tablets out there are Wi-Fi so i didn't take the time to adjust the layout for Tablet, it should work with no problems but it probably would look ugly as f*ck or really small, but this is something i'll fix in future updates.

Hey I don't like "this" or "that", Change it!
If you don't like something just tell me why and if I think you're right I'll probably change it, remember StreetPass Riilay is made by me for you guys so feedback is well received.

Also if you want to help build my app better and you know how to do UI or have some tips for me, PM me, Any Help is well received too.

Everything sounds great, Is This App on the Play Store?
Unfortunately no, at least not right now, While it works for me , it probably doesn't work for a lot of people out there, so to upload it to the Play Store first i want to fix most of the problems and wide the compatibility with most devices, besides, right now I'm broke and i don't have money for the registration fee, i'll probably will in 1 week or 2 so be patient and if you wanna see this in the Play Store give me your feed back. (as well donation are super fine guys!)

So if it's not in the Play Store , How do i download it?
You need to side load the app to your phone, you simply go to Settings->Security->Unknown Sources and check that box, but you probably know this if you're already rooted.

Then download the app from here:

Google Drive Download V3.1:https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5n38nW5GD0pSVJIQThjQ2hxM3M/edit?usp=sharing
Dropbox Download V3.1 :https://www.dropbox.com/s/f3tedvc8sv0rmgj/SP Riilay V3.apk

Awesome, Anything else?

Well , I'll like to thank the original creator of the thread dicamarques and the people who helped it to make everything work, also if you like to donate it will be gladly appreciated and it will help me pay the registration fee for the Play Store :lol:

btn_donateCC_LG.gif
How to use it:
Start your mobile data.​
Go to Settings->More->Tethering & Portable Hotspot (this may vary depending your phone)​
Select Portable Wi-Fi hotspot settings.​
and configure your hotspot with this settings:​
SSID:attwifi
Security:none
if you use the "_The Cloud" SSID you'll have to configure the 3DS to use the hotspot as one of the three connections.​
Start the App and configure your settings, most of the time the 1 minute cool down time works for me, but sometimes depending on your network speed you might need 2 or 3 minutes to get the StreetPass.​
As for the starting Mac , I'll recommend it to let it as it is, but if you already streetpassed one of the macs start from there.​
Press Start Riilay and it should automatically start your hotspot and change your mac, in this point, if you see a toast telling you "Permission denied" this does not work for you​
and remember you need ROOT....
UPDATE: StreetPass Riilay V2!:
Hello! i have added a few methods more in the app, while i tested those with dummy files it probably works now in more devices, also i add a busybox method which in theory it should be compatible with all the devices out there but with sadly is not , if your device has a file with the Mac on it, like my case or hard code it in other file the busy box method will not work, but in those devices where the mac is nowhere to be found in theory it will work.
The Methods i added are:

/data/.nvmac.info
/factory/wifi/.mac.info
/data/etc/wlan_macaddr
BusyBox wlan0 devices.

Check out the new links.

Also, i changed the reconnection code so now it takes 10 to 15 minutes to reconnect the device so the 1 minute cold down it's not gonna work at least you have very good Internet.
Any doubt or question don't be afraid to ask, i'll probably update the app by Wednesday adding more Macs (i think there's 50 out there! ) a pause mode, and a notification mode where the app will notify you every 10 macs to check the Mii Plaza before to continue.
Hope i can fix all the compatibility issues as soon as possible but at least i expect the people that can use the app (that should be at least people with Xperia Z/ZL, and LG LX series i believe) is enjoying it .
PS: If the app looks uglier it's because i tried re doing the UI but failed , it shouldn't be that ugly next time.
Greetings and thank you for using my app.!
UPDATE: StreetPass Riilay V3!:
New Updated, i added some new methods as well a randomizer for the macs and Mac address up to 5F, didn't have the time to test all of them but they should work, also i extended the time for the cooldown, now instead of using 60 seconds it use 75, because the reset method for the tethering it was taking 15 seconds of the actual connection time so, now 1 minute it's equivalent to 75 seconds of time and 60 seconds of actual connection. Also i extended the times up to 15 minutes if anyone needs that much cooldown time.​
The new Methods i added are:​
/system/etc/wifi/nvram.txt
/data/misc/wifi/config
These methods use in line mac (instead of files with only the mac) so if your setup needs to edit an specific line in a file just ask for it.​
The app no automatically select the method you should use based on the location of the files, so you don't have to pick it manually anymore but the option still is there but probably is going to be gone in the next update.​
The next update will probably be August 31 since I'm going back to my university so ask for features you wanna see in the next update (that probably would be the last one before Google Play :DD )​
Also, busybox while it works in all phone or most of them, it doesn't always change the mac of some phones because they are hardcoded in some files on the system, try to search for those files if you see busybox is not working for you.

AngelBlade

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
1) Change MACs is not a big change...at least is really the most useless thing to do. U can rename it 00:11:22:33:44:55 and nothing important change :p1ng:
2) There aren't best settings, the most important thing is that it works! :lol:
3) Every time i get a streetpass (using wifi tether app shows you the bandwich used), i use like 50/80kb up and down

BerserkLeon

Not-so-new member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Same Question as before:

Do this made permanent changes? And how to revert back to the original settings?

And what are the best settings to get streetpass hits on the 3DS and how does the Mii's like?

And cost it much? I mean extra 3G/4G costs?

I just want to be sure before I use this handy top app!

Nothing this app does is permanent. The best settings depend on your phone and it's possible that one may not even work.
If you don't have a data package on your bill, it depends on the carrier but I think the overages are pretty bad, if you go over your plan at all in US, verizon charges you 15$.
That really depends on your carrier.
If you meant to ask how much data it pulls, at max, 500kB for each pass. Usually less than that.

That reminds me, is there any way to share rndis0 (the usb reverse-tethered connection) as an AP? that'd be better than using my carrier's data.

P

pasc

It's my plan but right now i don't have a mac, if you know someone who is willing to trade a chromebook pixel for one tell me haha, but anyway if i get a way too i'll probably be bringing this to cydia since i have developed for iOS before and it should be way easier because there's only one way to change a mac on iOS (i believe)

Did you have any of the files used in this method ? if you're relaying in the busybox method you should wait, while i have tried successful one time i have found that it doesn't work pretty well if your phone have a hardcoded mac somewhere in the system, so find a way to change the mac on your device tell me how and i'll end up add it

Permission denied usually happens when roottools can't find the file, go to your data and check if the files it's named the same that the method, if it changes even a lowercase it will not work. anyway i'll check this detail in the week please be patient

VMWare ?

Hackintosh ?

Sirstiv

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
This program does indeed work. I managed to connect to Nintenzone from australia.

The problem is the 4minute maximum cooldown time. I need more than that. I couldn't get any streetpasses because of a potentially slow internet connection/latency.

Could you enable 15 minutes per cooldown? The mac cycles are far too quick.

I am using the .mac.info file. I cant get the BusyBox method to work (yes i have it installed).

I also couldn't get it to work with the wi-fi tether app.

Using a Galaxy S3 LTE.

cheers for your efforts so far.

Devan

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
In LG Optimus Black (4.0.4), change macaddr=MAC_HOME_PASS in /etc/wifi/nvram.txt (maybe others android too)
Otherwise not work (BusyBox, /data/misc/wifi, /data...)

Zurce, you can support this method? (Or source code??)

Sorry my english!!

armagn12

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
it crashes when I use any of the methods except for Busybox. Though when I use busybox, i don't get a hit/SP... oh well... I would have deal with manually changing the mac using wifi tether for the mean time... waaah.

anyways, kudos to you Zurce for the effort and time. I hope for some nice results for all androids. :D

Zurce

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it crashes when I use any of the methods except for Busybox. Though when I use busybox, i don't get a hit/SP... oh well... I would have deal with manually changing the mac using wifi tether for the mean time... waaah.

anyways, kudos to you Zurce for the effort and time. I hope for some nice results for all androids. :D
I couldn't find a way to implement the method that Wi-Fi tether use because if i'm not mistaken they use a custom tether for that

In LG Optimus Black (4.0.4), change macaddr=MAC_HOME_PASS in /etc/wifi/nvram.txt (maybe others android too)
Otherwise not work (BusyBox, /data/misc/wifi, /data...)

Zurce, you can support this method? (Or source code??)

Sorry my english!!

Pm your nvram.txt file with a fake mac and i'll test and implement it in the next update
This program does indeed work. I managed to connect to Nintenzone from australia.

The problem is the 4minute maximum cooldown time. I need more than that. I couldn't get any streetpasses because of a potentially slow internet connection/latency.

Could you enable 15 minutes per cooldown? The mac cycles are far too quick.

I am using the .mac.info file. I cant get the BusyBox method to work (yes i have it installed).

I also couldn't get it to work with the wi-fi tether app.

Using a Galaxy S3 LTE.

cheers for your efforts so far.
I'll add times up to 15 minutes :)

Flomsat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Any tips on getting this to work on a HTC One on Android 4.2.2 ?
All of the options fail that are listed in the app, and I'm not sure what BusyBox is...

Sirstiv

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Got it working guys, under the following instructions.

Root your phone.

Download Set the Wifi Tether app (3.4) to Android Device under the following settings:
http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/

For S2: (i have a GS3)
1. Wifi tether 3.3-beta2
2. Device-Profile: Samsung Galaxy S2
3. Setup Method: Auto
4. Send Netd Max Client CMD: checked
5. SSID: attwifi
6. Channel: 1
7. Mac Address Spoof: checked
8. Wifi-driver reload: unchecked
9. Wifi-driver reload 2: checked
10. Enable Access-Control: checked
11. MSS clamping: checked (dont know..) i assume it means keep alive as i have that checked)
12. Routing-fix: checked

Make sure mobile data is on, try deleting any current wifi connections.

NOTE: You must MANUALLY cycle through the mac address yourself.

Also once you've tested your connection, switch your wifi off in 3ds sleep mode. Leave the 3ds in sleep, and switch it back on and wait. (by sleep i mean console on and cover down)

Zurche, your job now is to look into this particular app, and create the correct cycler for it :P.

Since you need to manually change the MAC address on your own in Wifi Tether to get it working. Cheers guys.

armagn12

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Got it working guys, under the following instructions.

Root your phone.

Download Set the Wifi Tether app (3.4) to Android Device under the following settings:
http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/

For S2: (i have a GS3)
1. Wifi tether 3.3-beta2
2. Device-Profile: Samsung Galaxy S2
3. Setup Method: Auto
4. Send Netd Max Client CMD: checked
5. SSID: attwifi
6. Channel: 1
7. Mac Address Spoof: checked
8. Wifi-driver reload: unchecked
9. Wifi-driver reload 2: checked
10. Enable Access-Control: checked
11. MSS clamping: checked (dont know..) i assume it means keep alive as i have that checked)
12. Routing-fix: checked

Make sure mobile data is on, try deleting any current wifi connections.

NOTE: You must MANUALLY cycle through the mac address yourself.

Also once you've tested your connection, switch your wifi off in 3ds sleep mode. Leave the 3ds in sleep, and switch it back on and wait. (by sleep i mean console on and cover down)

Zurche, your job now is to look into this particular app, and create the correct cycler for it :P.

Since you need to manually change the MAC address on your own in Wifi Tether to get it working. Cheers guys.

Those are my settings for my S2 4.1.2 (exactly as i typed it in with the exception of item 11 comment [HOW-TO] Have a homemade Streetpass Relay

Glad it worked for you. Hope to see in one of my SPs. :-)

Sirstiv

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeap, thanks for that, i tried everything! All kinds of usb dongles, virtual adapters etc etc, drove me crazy for a week. Only THIS method works lol.

syrusdark

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
This is awesome, you just made my life a lot easier :P The program is running smooth on my Galaxy Note GT-N7000 with ICS, using the BusyBox method.

The only improvements I'd ask for are:

1- a way to make it run on the background, with an icon in the notification tray

2- a way for the user to input his own list of MAC addresses (maybe by editing a file)

These two would make the app simply perfect.

Sirstiv

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
How do you make the app work with busybox? I have it installed, yet whenever i select busybox in the app it crashes... im using Galaxy S3 LTE version... JB

Zurce

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is awesome, you just made my life a lot easier :P The program is running smooth on my Galaxy Note GT-N7000 with ICS, using the BusyBox method.

The only improvements I'd ask for are:

1- a way to make it run on the background, with an icon in the notification tray

2- a way for the user to input his own list of MAC addresses (maybe by editing a file)

These two would make the app simply perfect.

Does the busybox method work with you? does it give you the SP? i know it sounds weird the developer doubts it's work but i programmed the method, i ran the app in like 10 devices and only one gave me the SP and seems to work (obviously talking about the busy box method) i was doubting of it haha.

Sirstiv the tether app use a custom tether for the mac spoof, i use the native one, also the wifi tether app also doesn't work for everybody , for example it doesn't work in my cellphone because it trigger the stock tether and override the wifi-tether settings.

Flomsat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Does the busybox method work with you? does it give you the SP? i know it sounds weird the developer doubts it's work but i programmed the method, i ran the app in like 10 devices and only one gave me the SP and seems to work (obviously talking about the busy box method) i was doubting of it haha.

Sirstiv the tether app use a custom tether for the mac spoof, i use the native one, also the wifi tether app also doesn't work for everybody , for example it doesn't work in my cellphone because it trigger the stock tether and override the wifi-tether settings.

Firstly, I think the Busybox method is working for my HTC One on Android 4.2.2. I was at Uni today (in Australia) and got 3 streetpasses from the US, Canada and Russia . Now unless there actually WAS international students at Uni (or they changed their locations), then I believe it is working. I have no way of checking if they were real passes or Riilay passes and internet reception is non existent where I live.
(P.S. None of the other methods in the app are supported on HCT One. They all give error messages about missing file locations etc.)

Also, the tether app doesn't work on my phone, so your method of using the stock tether is perfect for me.

Looking forward to a longer 10 or 15 min cycle to see if that helps.

Zurce

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Firstly, I think the Busybox method is working for my HTC One on Android 4.2.2. I was at Uni today (in Australia) and got 3 streetpasses from the US, Canada and Russia . Now unless there actually WAS international students at Uni (or they changed their locations), then I believe it is working. I have no way of checking if they were real passes or Riilay passes and internet reception is non existent where I live.
(P.S. None of the other methods in the app are supported on HCT One. They all give error messages about missing file locations etc.)

Also, the tether app doesn't work on my phone, so your method of using the stock tether is perfect for me.

Looking forward to a longer 10 or 15 min cycle to see if that helps.

Give me 1 hour and you got that boy

Zurce

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
New update is up , please check it out.

Also, Duo8 while i couldn't open the zip i managed to add your method (in theory since is pretty similar to the nvram.txt) try it and tell me if it works please

Flomsat added the 15 minutes cooldown just because you're cool

Devan added the nvram.txt method , thanks for your help.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: empty chat