Tutorial  Updated

AndroidPass, an alternative for the StreetPass Riilay

Hello,

Its been a while since i wrote i was doing an app for me to use the streetpass on my 3ds.
I used the Riilay app, and didn't worked for me, and seems the dev has halted the development of his app.

I present you a new app, with basic gui, but works for me.

Working methods (tested by me):
/data/.nvmac.info
/efs/wifi/.mac.info
/data/misc/wifi/hostapd.conf

Working methods (tested by users):
/data/misc/wifi/WCNSS_qcom_cfg.ini
/persist/WCNSS_qcom_wlan_factory_nv.bin

To be tested methods:
/data/misc/wifi/config
/system/etc/wifi/nvram.txt
/data/etc/wlan_macaddr0
/factory/wifi/.mac.info
/data/etc/wlan_macaddr

(BusyBox methods dont work or are kernel dependant)
BusyBox: ifconfig
BusyBox: ip link
BusyBox: Old tether softAP method (added, but not sure if it would work, maybe i will remove it later if no one uses it or not working)

Want to add more methods?
Send me a pm with a sample file for the file to be edited, and ill work to implement it asap.
Don't be afraid to send any "original macs" or try to edit out the macs with A,B,C,D,E or F.

I would want to add more methods and a BusyBox method, but i dont have more Androids with me and my pc is old and cant run the emulator.

The app needs root, and is stright forward.

The app works with the SD card mainly:
/"sd"/macs/...
macs.txt : a list of macs to be readed. (Yes, is needed to run the program and can be customized)
config.properties : The config from the app, i hate when phone data is used to store config.
On this file you can edit the "original_mac" and when the app is closing it will restore the mac you provided, useful with a whitelisted network. Ex: 00:11:22:33:44:55
on the /"sd"/
AndroidPass-Log.txt : Do not exists always, but it contains crash log(s) for the app.

The program features an auto updater.
And no need to wait X minutes to change MACs, just dont wait to timeout and when the 3DS disconnects (or no more clients are connected), it will change the mac right away.

If your AndroidPass has stopped working for some reason, post the crash log file.

Im thinking to release the source somewhere on the net, and then anyone who wants to implement some features could, in theory, work with me and make it more "compatible". If there is some devs that want to be involved in this, contact me and if i get some, ill publishit somewhere.

Donations are much apreciated.

Download link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/hvrqikrqp3cs4ck/StreetPass.apk

If for some reason the link above is not the current version, use the workspace version https://www.dropbox.com/s/c0sy8e7i1s5u1mh/StreetPass.apk (this file is used for testing, keep in mind that this version is the work in progress one, and may contain not working things or major crashes)

Later on i will feature a stable or debug release, the current link will be the debug release.

-Ismaw34

WARNING
* Some kernels need special "magic" features (specially the 4.3+) that i dont know how to work with.
* If you need to patch any "binary" file, i can edit the mac too, refer to the methods /data/misc/wifi/WCNSS_qcom_cfg.ini and /persist/WCNSS_qcom_wlan_factory_nv.bin
* If you are using the /data/misc/wifi/hostapd.conf method, and you change the HotSpot name on your phone but it doen't change, is a usual bug, that is that on the current state i cant read root files inside the java code and i need to manage them via shell. Just delete the /data/misc/wifi/hostapd.conf.bak file, edit your config and then it would be ready to go.

Last edited by Ismaw34,

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
That "To be tested" method will hardly ever be tested, as so far the only device I've seen using it is LG-P350 with MiniCM7 (which I own. But it's broken)

Ismaw34

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
That "To be tested" method will hardly ever be tested, as so far the only device I've seen using it is LG-P350 with MiniCM7 (which I own. But it's broken)

You can always suggest to add more methods on the app.

-Ismaw34

KaleoOmega

I just don't know what to do with myself...
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Need to say thanks too. Even before Ismav34 made this post, I was able to test the app, and always worked perfectly on my old Samsung Galaxy Mini (S-5570L).

Reactions: Ismaw34

Ismaw34

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
the app crashes when i try to open it. i use a galaxy nexus running android 4.4 a custom rom

With that kind of data, i cant fix anything.
Things i need to know:
1. The method you need (if known).
2. Tryed the other android app?
3. A sample file for the method (if 1 & can access the file)
4. Maybe the log could help more

If i know the details, i could fix the app asap.

Thanks,
-Ismaw34

Ismaw34

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Important notice to users that have the app on version 2.01

I broke the auto-update feature on that version, and its fixed now on version 2.011
I added a new method "/efs/wifi/.mac.info" (Works on 4.1.2 Galaxy Young)

Thanks.

ryuragnas

3DS FC: 0173-2593-8777
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
This app works on my SGS3 GT-I9300 running Temasek Unnofficial v99, using AgniCM Kernel 2.8.0. Temasek v99 is 4.4.3 based. I likey

lucame

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
final update: how i make it work:

- reboot phone with only 3g on, NO WIFI ON
- start your app, the MAC changes and all works until you...press stop. When you stop it, the wifi TURNS ON, and from this moment you WILL NOT be able to change your mac again until you reboot as above. I still get no passes or anything tho....

UPDATE your app is the only one that really manages to change my wifi MAC. Riilay and wifi tether claim to change it but upon verification i still have the original mac, whereas your app works. I also noticed it connecting to the 3ds, staying connected about 10 seconds max, then changing MAC successfully. I still got no streetpasses or whatever but now its a matter of time i guess, i put it on random MAC cycles every 2 minutes since i noticed it took barely 30 seconds from changing mac for the 3ds to connect to the new mac.

Sadly after a i stopped the app to do something, and restarted it, without any change in anything, it is no longer changing my mac properly. I dunno wtf.

old msg below

hi, i am using samsung S3 rooted, 4.3 android. You app is the only one that manages to connect to my 3ds. However when i close the 3ds into sleep mode, it disconnects from the hotspot, and it only reconnects to it when i reopen the 3ds. Is it normal? I left the 3ds closed for a good 5 minutes and i never got the message that it logged into the hotspot (it would have a toast saying 1 device connected)....but as soon as i reopen the 3ds it connects to hotspot without problems. EDIT to add i never got any hits or people visiting or whatever it is...

Ismaw34

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
final update: how i make it work:

- reboot phone with only 3g on, NO WIFI ON
- start your app, the MAC changes and all works until you...press stop. When you stop it, the wifi TURNS ON, and from this moment you WILL NOT be able to change your mac again until you reboot as above. I still get no passes or anything tho....

I disabled the auto-wifi enable, sorry for the other users :(
For the timer, you can "Wait until timeout" and will wait until the minutes you give.
For the streetpasses, make sure your ap's name is "attwifi" and if you want to use the NZone you cannot put any pass. I you dont want to use the NZone, you can put a pass for better security.

Test the new version and give feedback ;)

-Ismaw34

lucame

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
tried emailing the app to my phone and gmail said virus detected in your apk :(

but i doubt its true... so i installed anyway.
Yes the hotspot is attwifi and no security, the 3ds sees it properly.
As before, your app works and now you solved the wifi thing, very nice. However i never got ANYTHING. I close the 3ds, after about 20 seconds your app says that the 3ds is connected, the mac is correct, 3ds stays connected about 15 seconds but nothing comes thru. I tried running it for 20 minutes changing mac every 2 and got zero. Now trying with longer timeouts. Will report back if i get anything. I believe that the android 4.3 has some hidden shit that is giving troubles.

PS maybe upon exiting the app you can have a popup asking to turn on wifi so that your mac goes back to the original one, else it will stay the fake one even after reboot. Only turning on wifi will revert it back.

lucame

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
mate i got bad news

even if your app shows the mac changed in the device properties, the hotspot still broadcasts the original mac, that is why im not getting shit. Basically the only difference between this and riilay for me is that you have the right path to the mac file, and change it in the properties (rillay does not) but in reality i still have the phone mac.

I am downgrading to a 4.1.2 build of android, goddamn it i will make it work

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    the vram is one advantage when it comes to AI but ends up being slower even with that and really AI is the only use case that needs more than 12gb vram right now
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Interesting lol
    I think I watched a video where two games at 4K where eating just over 16GB of RAM and it's the one case where the 7900XT and XTX pulled ahead (minus RTX of course)
    So my opinion is that they could age a bit better in the future, and maybe AMD will continue improving them via drivers like they tend to do. No guarantee there but they have done it in the past. Just a feeling I have.
    cyberpunk at 4k without DLSS/fidelityfx *might* exceed 12gb
    +1
    but that game barely runs at native 4k
    I think it was some newer games and probably poorly optimized PS4 or PS5 ports
    they definitely will age better but i feel dlss might outweigh that since it looks about as good as native resolution and much less demanding
    +1
    When I played Cyberpunk on my old 2080 Ti it sucked lol
    AMD could introduce something comparable to DLSS but nvidia's got a lot more experience with that
    least amd 7xxx has tensor cores which the previous generations didn't so there is the potential for AI upscaling
    They have FSR or whatever it's called and yeah it's still not great
    so AMD seem to finally be starting to take AI seriously
    Oh yeah those new 8000 CPUs have AI cores built in that's interesting
    Maybe they plan on offloading to the CPU?
    Would be kinda cool to have the CPU and GPU working in random more
    Tandem even
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol