Hardware An Insider's Look at the Xbox One Controller

Cartmanuk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Check out this video from Microsoft’s Major Nelson and Zulfi Alam as they discuss the innovations in the Xbox One controller:​
[/quote]​

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And just why is there a video where they discuss the features of the controller? Why don't they just have an exhibition at the Smithsonian? Or at least on their website since people don't physically visit museums anymore... Seriously, it's a... game controller...

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Looks really good.
If that usb connector that turns it into a USB controller works with the PC without any hassle, it might be a really valid purchase for PC gamers as well.
Indeed. Currently the biggest design flaw for the 360 controller is the charger cable that doesn't actually make the controller work with the cable, but requires the wireless connection. Not to mention Microsoft's decision not to make the adapters standalone.. 4 Limited edition 360 controllers and still missing an adapter. The official type..

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
And just why is there a video where they discuss the features of the controller? Why don't they just have an exhibition at the Smithsonian? Or at least on their website since people don't physically visit museums anymore... Seriously, it's a... game controller...

I do not know about anybody else but good controller falls into the same line of logic that sees me have a good pair of shoes, a good bed, a good keyboard, a good mouse, a good chair set up properly and a good/properly calibrated monitor.

Cartmanuk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I do not know about anybody else but good controller falls into the same line of logic that sees me have a good pair of shoes, a good bed, a good keyboard, a good mouse, a good chair set up properly and a good/properly calibrated monitor.

True it has to be at least 8/10

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

The controller is this one piece of hardware that you're holding at all times when gaming - interest in it is well-founded. A good controller is the cornerstone of a pleasant gaming experience and people want to know if the XBox One's controller will be any good.

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The controller is this one piece of hardware that you're holding at all times when gaming - interest in it is well-founded. A good controller is the cornerstone of a pleasant gaming experience and people want to know if the XBox One's controller will be any good.

Well, yeah, but why so much interest as to warrant a seven minute video? It's ergonomic; it has two joysticks, a d-pad, 4 buttons, and four L/R triggers. But then that'd make for a pretty boring movie, so they added chrome casing and an SD slot, among other things, so you'll get your $30 worth out of this piece of hardware.

I think I know where I'm going with this. They've released the console and the controller: now they can release the games that will use this great controller. And, if you have to tell somebody something is great, chances are it probably isn't. Like when they were showing off the Xbone at E3: they went on and on about how TV and the new Call of Duty game would be such an incredible experience.

Edit: Or maybe they think if they show how great their controller is, then that'll convince some people to buy it since they value a good controller experience and this provides it.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Am I the only person who thinks screwless is just going to be a bother? I had to open my controllers up for cleaning after someone spilled Red Bull on them. Without screws it sounds like it's going to be way harder to open up.

The controller looks pretty nice and I appreciate being able to just plug a standard MicroUSB into it to turn it into a wired controller. Its a shame they didn't just integrate the battery as well while they're at it but something like that would push up the price a lot (though I think DualShock 3s are sold at the same price as 360 controllers) so it is understandable.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Am I the only person who thinks screwless is just going to be a bother? I had to open my controllers up for cleaning after someone spilled Red Bull on them. Without screws it sounds like it's going to be way harder to open up.

The controller looks pretty nice and I appreciate being able to just plug a standard MicroUSB into it to turn it into a wired controller. Its a shame they didn't just integrate the battery as well while they're at it but something like that would push up the price a lot (though I think DualShock 3s are sold at the same price as 360 controllers) so it is understandable.

Assuming it is not ultrasonically welded it is not usually that bad -- most modern monitors have a component of it and though I will bitch, piss and moan all the time when dealing with one I do ultimately enjoy not having a sea of screws to remember how to replace when I am done.
Batteries... charge capacity aside modern consumer batteries are great little things as far as degradation and other unpleasant things go but they are still not unlimited.

[The controller makes the machine as much as, if not more than, the processing capacity]Well, yeah, but why so much interest as to warrant a seven minute video? It's ergonomic; it has two joysticks, a d-pad, 4 buttons, and four L/R triggers. But then that'd make for a pretty boring movie, so they added chrome casing and an SD slot, among other things, so you'll get your $30 worth out of this piece of hardware.

I think I know where I'm going with this. They've released the console and the controller: now they can release the games that will use this great controller. And, if you have to tell somebody something is great, chances are it probably isn't. Like when they were showing off the Xbone at E3: they went on and on about how TV and the new Call of Duty game would be such an incredible experience.

Edit: Or maybe they think if they show how great their controller is, then that'll convince some people to buy it since they value a good controller experience and this provides it.

Without a hint of irony I shall say MS made the 360 controller, something I will attribute the status of "one of the finest general purpose controllers ever made" to, and for them to screw that up would be impressive.

All that said I think the main thing is going to be something like "if you do not want to watch it then you do not have to"; it was released as a standalone video for the curious, something I will readily confess to being when it comes to this. That said the little "controller labs" video that was on whatever stream I happened to settle on for E3 after the MS presentation this year was probably my best memory of it -- not that I would expect anything less but they have robots designed to do nothing but shake the controller prototype to see if it will give a false press of a button*.

*disclaimer, custom engineering for comfort and other similar uses is something I would like to spend more of my days doing. Sadly such a thing can not quite pay the bills so I do not.

proffk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Major nelson aka chief wigum. Xbox one good console will get one when special offers are on and when c4eva does his magic on it.

Cartmanuk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Actually, I'd be totally down for that. I mean, the 360 controller is practically a work of art, so it only makes sense.

Its nice to see that someone appreciates all the hard work that goes into making a masterpiece like this.

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks really good.
If that usb connector that turns it into a USB controller works with the PC without any hassle, it might be a really valid purchase for PC gamers as well.
Actually, I'd be kinda against it being a valid purchase. This last generation saw a huge increase in Xbox 360-supported PC games... at an ugly cost: forced console controls, and at times, even settings. Far Cry 3, for example, if it detected ANY gamepad would force a 360 control set, turn on aim-assist, and some other things.

Forcing an x360 control set on any gamepad is the worst part though. I've had to jump through so many hurdles just to get custom controls back for my PC titles--and not just for me, but for my disabled brother as well.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Actually, I'd be kinda against it being a valid purchase. This last generation saw a huge increase in Xbox 360-supported PC games... at an ugly cost: forced console controls, and at times, even settings. Far Cry 3, for example, if it detected ANY gamepad would force a 360 control set, turn on aim-assist, and some other things.

Forcing an x360 control set on any gamepad is the worst part though. I've had to jump through so many hurdles just to get custom controls back for my PC titles--and not just for me, but for my disabled brother as well.
I don't know what are you on man ( and I'm sorry about your brother ) but the Xbox360 controller support on the PC is a blessing and flawless makes things extremely easy.

Remember having a "standard "controller that works out of the box and the proper icons/actions displayed on screen, without having to calibrate or remap all your in-game buttons all the time is a very good thing last I checked.
Yes, it's a little inconvenient if you don't have such a " standard " controller, and you know what ? For years I've been using a Dual Shock controller via USB adapter on my PC.
I had to remap the controls with every single game all the time.

Then when GFWL started supporting the 360 controller, it was just so easy to have all the right button and axes assigned to the right place, so I started using the xbox360CE, which was working fine in most of the cases ( after some major headache to set it up properly ) , but still some games with directx wrappers were just impossible to get to work .

You know what ? After I upgraded to a newer PC, I decided to get a black, wired xbox360 controller with it and never looked back.
It works right out of the box with just about anything and it's recognized by most of my games ( only the very old ones don't detect it ).
No problem with inverted, poor calibrated axes or buttons and nice icons on the screen which are ablessing for QTA in most modern games.
I'm liking it a lot actually.......if it wasn't for that d-pad !

Enter the xbox one controller, an all-around improvement over the 360's.
If they manage to sort out decent drivers for it, it's guaranteed to be the next best thing.

Sorry I must disagree with you.

Oh and why wouldn't you want to have auto-aim on when using a controller in an FPS ? Turn it off if you play it with a mouse and you're good to go. It's hardly a game or a controller fault. :wacko:

Reactions: Ethevion

Site & Scene News

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night