Hacking An incorrect update bricked my card

Rya687

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
I just bought myself an R4i Gold for my DSi (firmware version 1.4.3E). Since it didn't work out of the box, I went to r4ids.cn to get the latest patches. I correctly installed the files for Wood R4 Version 1.64, but unfortunately, I made a mistake with the firmware update.

I think I accidentally downloaded the patch intended only for DSi firmware version 1.4.5. Though there is a small chance I extracted the 3DS patch instead without noticing it. Either way, while the flash card ran fine the next time I ran it, after I used the patch and reset my system, I got a white screen. Replacing all the data on the MicroSD card, formatting it, and even trying to use the flash card without it didn't help.

Would it perhaps work again if I update my DSi firmware to version 1.4.5? After all, unless I accidentally used the 3DS patch, I seem to have screwed up by installing a patch only intended for that version. Or does Nintendo no longer offer DSi updates? Been ages since I last used the thing.

Last edited by Rya687,

helltoast

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you sure you got the right files? just in case, here is the kernel and here is the firmware.

the kernel installation is simple: format the card with SD Formatter 4.0 (format type: full, erase: on, format size adjustment: on) and extract it to its root. make sure you're not using a bad SD like the ones sold by flashcart stores.

there's no specific DSi/3DS firmware, though. the latest one is supposed to work on all systems. 'R4iGold_3DS62_Patch_NDSi_3DS.nds' is the update and 'R4iGold_3DS62_Patch_NDSL_3DS.nds' is an 'emergency' update in case you can't get the kernel to boot, which I'm guessing is your case.

read the readme.txt for instructions. you'll need a DSL, though. you should try reformatting the card or, better yet, try it with a different one, just to be sure.

Rya687

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
So the 3DS kernel patch is actually supposed to work on all devices? Why are the developers still linking to the old patches as well then?

Anyway, formatting the MicroSD sadly didn't fix it. As for the emergency patch, I don't have a DS Lite at the moment. I was planning to buy one anyway, but according to the readme, I also need another flash card. That would be rather annoying, but I suppose if that's the only way to fix it, I have no other choice.

I'd like to test if updating my DSi to version 1.4.5 fixes it, seeing how I seem to have caused this problem by accidentally installing a patch only meant for that version. Could someone tell me if Nintendo's update servers are still running and if there are any flash card compatibility issues this could cause?

helltoast

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So the 3DS kernel patch is actually supposed to work on all devices? Why are the developers still linking to the old patches as well then?

people often need older patches for... reasons. no, really. reasons.

I'd like to test if updating my DSi to version 1.4.5 fixes it, seeing how I seem to have caused this problem by accidentally installing a patch only meant for that version. Could someone tell me if Nintendo's update servers are still running and if there are any flash card compatibility issues this could cause?

you don't seem to understand. there's no DSi/1.4.5-specific firmware, it's universal. it's supposed to work on every device on any version, ranging from the OG DS to a 10.7 n3DS. updating your DSi to 1.4.5 won't help. you should refrain from doing so, actually.

there is, however, an incompatibility issue with older R4i Gold 3DS RTS revisions (carts with the letter 'C' and below next to the contacts) but it only applies to the 3DS, not the DSi.

the only reasons I can think of are either A) a defective SD card or B) a botched firmware upgrade. or a fake R4i Gold, look for the letter next to the contacts to be sure.

Rya687

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
The description of the patch I used literally said "for DSi/XL V1.45 only." It's this one, to be precise: http://filetrip.net/dl?9l07ieOpEm

Seeing how this is the version my flash card has been patched with, shouldn't the reason it's no longer working be that I accidentally patched its firmware to an old version that's only intended for the latest system version?

Also, what are the negative consequences that could arise from updating my DSi?

Last edited by Rya687,

helltoast

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that's an old, old firmware intended for older versions of the R4i Gold 3DS RTS. the latest one is the one I linked you. never heard of such a case but I'm guessing it's an issue with the revision... that letter I mentioned before, the one next to the contacts, what's on yours? D?

if I'm correct the only way to fix it is indeed using a DSL + whatever flashcart you can get to boot and flash the correct firmware.

you could try updating your DSi but I don't think it's gonna help. there's no major downside except for a few compatibility issues, specially with older/odd flashcarts like Acekard.

Rya687

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
I have no plans to ever use older flash cards, so I went ahead and updated my system. The only thing that changed is that instead of a white screen, launching the flash card now gives me a standard error message.

The letter is D. Is that a normal model?

Anyway, I guess that means I really will have to buy another flash card. *sigh* Thanks for the information.

helltoast

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
D is the latest revision. it comes pre-flashed with the latest firmware, meaning you 'downgraded' with a firmware meant for a different revision. I'm not surprised it bricked, boards prior to D were finicky.

this error message, is it the standard DSi error message? or a flashcart one? because if it's the latter it might've worked and you just misplaced the kernel inside the SD.

anyway, yes, you'll need a DSL and another flashcart to fix it. literally any flashcart will do. just keep in mind those cheap original R4 clones use miniSDs which might be hard to find.

Rya687

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Think it's the standard DSi message, sadly. It told me to refer to the operation manual. I vaguely remember a message that looked like this showing up once when I accidentally removed a DS game from the system while it was being played. I already tried formatting the MicroSD and reinstalling all the files on it after the update. That didn't change anything.

Is it normal for an R4i Gold not to work at all when run without a MicroSD card? I assumed its firmware was outdated because of that.

Guess that means I really will have to locate another flash card. Can't be helped then. Thanks again for trying to help me.

helltoast

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no problem. it's normal, I can't think of a single flashcart that works without the card. what they do is bypass a few checks and boot whatever is inside the SD, so naturally it won't work without one.

good luck.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: But I bet that would be more for a flashcart than a consumer repro board.