Hacking Alternate points on Wiikey

mustnap

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just got a wii and wiikey from a friend of mine. he tried to do the quick solder method but he failed. so he sent them to me.

the thing is that 2 of the solder point on wiikey got detached (he solder them pretty bad). i know that i can request another Wiikey, but i would like to mod his Wii this weekend.

alternatepoints2ew3.jpg

can anyone double check this for me. the red ones and the teal ones are connected right?? or i'm guessing it wrong??

mustnap

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
true.. i was a bit surprised when i got that Wiikey.. but then because the 2nd soldering points on the Wiikey is actually connected to that end of the capacitor, it should not be a problem..

mustnap

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think he used a > 20W soldering iron with a large tip. that is why it melted like that and the solder that he used got no flux (i noticed that when i removed some before i took that picture)

wiikeyfixedsv5.jpg

here is the picture of the same wiikey after i soldered the wires.. never knew that i had to solder one of the wires directly onto the chip's leg.. that was hard!

anyways, everything worked well and i've shipped his console back to him already..

CYatta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Uh, damn. That C2 looks like it needs to be reconnected to that empty spot it was lifted from. Unless that trace leads to that point where the green wire is. Can't see clear enough. Either way, nice fix up. Looks like a mess..

mustnap

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the trace connect the end of the C2 to the 2nd soldering point of Wiikey. this is the comparison of the chip with a new one ( i did 2 modding jobs yesterday )

wiikeconnectionms2.jpg

plexo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
about the big tip, u can still mod them perfectly with the big tips, i bought a new 15watt cus my cheapy 30watt iron tip was starting to corrode and the 15watt didnt come with a 0.1mm tip like it showed, so i was lazy an instead of buying another i just used it, had to solder tothe panasonic chip cus the guy lifted the pads lol

just shows ya, is not about ur iron its about the person using the iron lol

Takrin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
about the big tip, u can still mod them perfectly with the big tips, i bought a new 15watt cus my cheapy 30watt iron tip was starting to corrode and the 15watt didnt come with a 0.1mm tip like it showed, so i was lazy an instead of buying another i just used it, had to solder tothe panasonic chip cus the guy lifted the pads lol

just shows ya, is not about ur iron its about the person using the iron lol

i agree if your careful you can mod with just about anything, i've even used a radioshack desoldering iron (45 watt) to do some solder points that was quite small
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.js...oductId=2062731

i got lazy and didnt want to plug in my soldering iron so i just used one of the corner of the pump to solder (didnt even burn the flux in the solder or anything)

ramparts

Trophies
XP
Country
Does anyone know the value of the capacitors ,and if i can use the loose resistor 018 to apply the 1k ohm hack?

thanks in advance

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: c