All Wii backup loader/Waninkoko discussion goes here.

SkankyYankee

GBAtemp Advanced Skank
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Deeply saddened by the leaks. If i have learned anything in the history of piracy i have learned this. DON'T piss off good developers! Especially homebrew! I just want to know what the guy was thinking when he unofficially released possibly the most important piece of wii code on a project not finished!!! If you need a beta tester that wont leak. I'm your temper.

Cyberxion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It would seem to me that any rational person in Waninkoko's shoes ought to make it his priority to root out the source of the leak and cut them out of future beta tests, and yet the entire community, including those who are vocal in their appreciation of his efforts, are being given the middle-finger? Just because one of his testers leaked the beta before its time? And that decision doesn't seem the least bit disproportionate to you guys? Really?

I won't go so far as to say that he's punishing the community. I understand that it's his project to release or deny us on whatever silly little whim might strike him on any given day. We're certainly not entitled to anything. However, it strikes me as strange that he'd blow things this far out of proportion and deny the entire community the loader, when in reality, the leak had a negligible effect on him, besides maybe illustrating the importance of being careful about who you trust. And besides, it wasn't the community's fault anyway. Moreover, his prior time and effort spent on the loader wasn't invalidated by the leak. In fact, I'd say that releasing a working loader, even if it's merely in beta form right now, just might have had the opposite effect. It's a fantastic proof-of-concept, and ought to serve to rally the community behind him. So his decision to cease development doesn't make too much sense. I think that's what referencer and Hitoshura were getting at, and I don't disagree.

Now, I don't have any interest in this loader. If I wanted to steal developer's hard work, I'd have already bought a mod-chip. However, I understand that it's sort of a "holy-grail" for a lot of disenchanted Wii owners. So it's with that understanding that I think that his decision to cease development is nothing more than a silly knee-jerk reaction to what is ultimately a non-issue. If I were in his shoes, I'd have taken from this that I need to be more critical of who I trust, and take steps to avoid this sort of thing in the future. I wouldn't announce that I'm quitting, thereby lording the possibility of what might have been over everyone's heads. That's not childish per se, but it's certainly in ill taste.

Rankio

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Plenty of betas get leaked and their finals come out. I don't get why someone has to be so upset over it.

cephalopoid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rankio said:
Plenty of betas get leaked and their finals come out. I don't get why someone has to be so upset over it.

This.

As the guy pointed out a couple posts above, we're all pirates here, are we not? When you're swimming with sharks, you're gonna get bit. I said it before . . . Waninkoko is pretty naive if he trusts his beta testers not to leak the code.

Raven Darkheart

The Radioactive Flamer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Looks like i was late to this party, but once againthe trolls come out of the woodwork. i have to agree with many of the vets that have already posted here about this. leave the Guy alone really. i mean were all pirates in one way or another and whining about it wont do anyone any good

i really doubt the beta was released here, i applaud the guy for his work but to blame the site is kinda extreme no?

and to all the whiny trolls? please GTFO we dont need babies crying about not being able to steal from publishers. if you wanna pirate get another game system and pirate that instead.

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Raven Darkheart said:
Looks like i was late to this party, but once againthe trolls come out of the woodwork. i have to agree with many of the vets that have already posted here about this. leave the Guy alone really. i mean were all pirates in one way or another and whining about it wont do anyone any good

i really doubt the beta was released here, i applaud the guy for his work but to blame the site is kinda extreme no?

and to all the whiny trolls? please GTFO we dont need babies crying about not being able to steal from publishers. if you wanna pirate get another game system and pirate that instead.
bow.gif

Nicely summed up!! Exactly what most of us are saying..

Cyberxion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Raven Darkheart said:
Toni Plutonij said:
Nicely summed up!! Exactly what most of us are saying..
I learned from you and dave really...
the others already made the point for me but its sad to see trolls go on and on whining
I don't mean to come across as being pushy, but I've read through this entire thread a few times already, and I can't seem to find any instances of the common definition of trolling. And yet I see so many of you dropping the term like it's going out of style that I fear I must have missed something. Can you cite some examples so that I may get up to speed with what the GBAtemp community defines as trolling?

As it stands, it appears that all you have to do to be labeled a troll here at GBAtemp is to have an opinion that the accuser doesn't agree with, but that can't be it, can it? There's no way that people who post on the internet can be so developmentally stunted that they would lash out at others for having their own opinions, right? So if you could hook me up with some info that might shed some light on the trolling epidemic that you guys seem to be suffering, I'd appreciate it. I'm at a loss.

Thanks!

junk_man32

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cephalopoid said:
Rankio said:

This.

As the guy pointed out a couple posts above, we're all pirates here, are we not? When you're swimming with sharks, you're gonna get bit. I said it before . . . Waninkoko is pretty naive if he trusts his beta testers not to leak the code.
he is naive, and a little baby
"OH......the backup loader got leaked, now i stop the making of this cause im sad and i hate it" well might as well say its a beta and finish crybaby, and that leaker whoever leaked it is dumb, you hurt waninkoko's feelings, lol

Cyberxion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
junk_man32 said:
he is naive, and a little baby
"OH......the backup loader got leaked, now i stop the making of this cause im sad and i hate it" well might as well say its a beta and finish crybaby, and that leaker whoever leaked it is dumb, you hurt waninkoko's feelings, lol
I wouldn't say that he's a cry-baby. It's a silly little program, and nothing to get bent out of shape over. And while I definitely think that Waninkoko might be well served to remember that himself, it might be a good idea for us to remember that as well. I think we could all stand to learn to share our opinions without being dicks about it.
wink.gif

ace90099

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since Waninkoko has given up on this project why doesn't someone else pick it up, there are plenty of talented people out there and I'm sure someone could figure out how to finish it. Plus if someone finished it, it would put there name out there as being one of the best things to happen to wii homebrew since the twilight hack.

Also, I think the reason Waninkoko gave up on this project is because he just wanted to give up on it. Face it, if you want to keep something like this a secret than just don't let anyone else close to it, if its anyone's fault for this being leaked it's Waninkoko's. Someone took his hard work and posted it on the net without his permission. wait a minute, isn't the backup loader used to take wii games that have been riped or leaked to the net and made playable on a non-modded wii. hum, i guess Waninkoko got a taste of what his program is doing to the gaming industry.

Sooner or later this program will be picked up and finished or it will be finished by Waninkoko himself because it will keep him in the spot light. You never know this could have been an act by Waninkoko just to make him more famous because before this I never heard of him even though I knew about the CIOS I didn't care who made them.

The same thing (kind of) happened in the PSP homebrew scene when Dark Alex said he was quiting the scene but now over a year and a PSP later he is still cracking away and better than ever at it.

Edit: also stop being pissed off at the leaker, it's not their fault Waninkoko is giving up. they saw the most important homebrew program to ever hit the wii scene and thought "I have to share this with the world." anybody else would have done the same thing. and Waninkoko needs to realize that he is handling this the wrong way. yes his program got released before he wanted it to but everyone understands that its his and that its not finished yet. and I respect Waninkoko for discovering/creating the greatest homebrew for the wii ever but if he gives up on this project then a lot of people are going to give up on him because no one respects a quitter.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, here's how I see it, really....

In a sense, being a "pirate" is like being a scientist. Once something's out there, it's out there. You can either try to work together to help the community, or move out the way. Either way, though, progress keeps moving forward, and there's really no way to stop it. Now, this guy / gal who created this software might want to take their project and go home, but I don't really see how that's possible. It's out there. Someone -- if not him / her -- will eventually pick up from where they left off. It's kind of moot, I think. It's kind of the equivalent of these ROM sites trying to copyright their content. It's fucking laughable.
rolleyes.gif
That of course, doesn't mean I don't appreciate this person's work. But if someone is only in it for their own sake, well, they are participating in the wrong community. There's no way to bottle that shit.

ace90099

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i agree with irpacynot completely but i do feel a little sorry for Waninkoko now that i think about it more cuz its like someone stole his work that he worked really hard on. but still if you want to make a name for yourself go find a cure for cancer cuz the cracker and modder scene is not the place for that.

msa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
waninkoko cannot punish us.

what did he expect? people not downloading it because of sympathy? jeez.

i mean, he's really being a dick with his behaviour. it was HIS fault. he KNEW that this program is easily the most anticipated piece of homebrew ever to be written, and he gives it to someone for beta-testing he doesnt even know?

the leak was the price he had to pay for being not cautious at all.

now, waninkoko, dont be an ass and continue that software and dont act like a sissy. ultimately, it was your fault it got leaked - dont blame other people for your mistakes.

and while i'm at it...

i tried (all on 3.3E PAL wii, rgb cable @ CRT and pal versions of the games, except elebits, i think thats ntsc):
- super paper mario - gameplay runs flawlessly, although loading times seem to be a bit long sometimes (nearly perfect)
- resident evil uc - gameplay is very good, loading times (also during levels) can be long and fmv's stutter
- the godfather blackhand edition - long loading times, crashes at the loading screen after creating your character and choosing "play the game"
- wario ware smooth moves - fmv's stutter extremely (and cant be skipped, at least not the first time), gameplay is flawless
- elebits - like in wario ware, extreme stuttering of the fmv's, but gameplay is perfect
- rayman raving rabbids - long loading times, gameplay is fine

OrcMonkey©

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
unrelated testing are stuff
lol ol ololollolool
this is in the tesing area but why/ lol olo lol o lo l olol o l ol ol l o l o l oo l o ll l l l o o l o l o ol o l ol lv o l lo l vo ldvsfl o l clldxvll lcbfllo o o l lodgolvol vf kl p lo lol ki k i m ojnh jjh nj i cvn mnmjoip m ko k vok i ki ik ik i i ik ki ki ki mij i 9 ki ki ikik k bv as asdfghjkl aq sdf g ghjk v csqdfghjakaqsqdq,qaaqdfqaghjqklqafgqhjkqaghjqaqadfsb ehj rmunsd

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

eof

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: But I bet that would be more for a flashcart than a consumer repro board.