AIM is dead, long live AIM

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
AIM was never really used here, everyone used MSN before eventually moving to Facebook. So I can't say I'll miss it.

From what I heard, you don't even need a custom server for WLM. Since Windows Live is still alive, it was just merged with Skype, there's a way to patch WLM to work after the merge and still use the official servers. At least that's what I heard.

True. But MSN/WLM actually had some features that even modern clients are missing, like account-wide custom smileys (Discord has it but only if you pay, so that doesn't really count) and nudges. Nudges might be annoying but sometimes I wish they still existed so I could get the attention of a friend if they're not responding because they're watching videos or something.

Nudges...
OH GOD NO!
FUCK NO!
I fucking hated those fucking things.

I have always turned of all sound notifications on every IM application I have.
Me phone is in vibrate 24/7
Windows sounds/IM sounds on me lappy are off 24/7

Back on the MSN days, nudges where disabled, winks where disabled, smileys where disabled.
Fuck those stupid things.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Forums did not seem to align that well with what is "traditionally" called social media
LIES spread by facebook! :creep:

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Prove it. I need evidence and I need facts.

Joke=post #14
your talking/typing
your interacting with people
your online

so in a sense that's being sociable :creep:

Last edited by Bladexdsl,

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
There's a thing for MSN messenger that makes it so you can connect to new, working servers instead of the old ones which are down. I never really used AIM but I hope something like that appears for it eventually as I knew some people (not as friends or even really acquaintances) who were still using AIM up until it died.

(for those who are interested in the service i was talking about)
incredible!! i probably won't use it haha... but still, that's cool.

i assumed aim was dead too, i didn't realize it was going (up until now)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That is so broad as to almost render it pointless.

From what I can see facebook is basically a combo of a blog, rss combining feed, IM protocol, shitty version of email, slightly easier version of mass email and maybe address book of a certain form, maybe with a few time wasting games thrown in. All things which existed long before but the combination and either designed intent or ultimate use is if not greater then substantially different from any one of its parts. I imagine some fall into a similar thing to the classic "everybody uses just 10% of the program, but at different 10%" thing from office programs of years past but the clear target market for the platforms in question is for people to use it as their primary communications platform and documentation of daily life, almost to the point of ubiquity, which can in turn be used to target advertising and sales.

GBAtemp, and most forums like it, have never attempted to be that, or even be that for a given demographic (myspace is for high school students, facebook is for college/university types, linkedin is for professionals and google+ is not yet a thing in my memories of 2008-2009 internet breakdowns still works).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.