Hardware AGB-001 ready for light mod. But which?

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so here goes. After a snafu that killed the first OG GBA I found, I finally found myself another working unit.

At first my intention was to front-light mod the GBA, in part because the prices for the stand-alone kit to make one into a backlit model were astronomical, especially when you consider I was able to pick up the OG GBA for $15 USD with tax, but just the screen alone was more than $100 on eBay. :angry:

Well, now I have a fresh working one, and I did confirm that the screen from the first unit that I was prepping for front light mod still works. However, the front-light kit panel decided to fall apart over time and I find myself unable to reassemble it. So, even if I went with that route again, I would have to buy another one. :hateit:

Having had a chance to test the unit with my retail copy of WarioWare Twisted, an argument could be made for the better ergonomics of the OG GBA to my SP :gba:, but I still want to light it in a non-ghetto fashion.

So, way I see it is...
  1. Backlight screen mod
    • + Newer screen tech shows measurable battery life improvement
    • + More dramatic colors from the screen
    • - Pricey as hell, especially if I have to resort to eBay for the parts
    • - (somewhat) smaller physical screen than the original screen
  2. Front-Light Kit
    • + Considerably cheaper to order, deploy and do
    • + Even with optional application of LOCA, still less expensive than buying an AGS-101 screen by itself
    • + No need for adapter cable
    • - Not as pronounced a difference
    • - Potentially increased battery usage
    • - Some concerns relating to using such a GBA with rechargeable batteries, which I would fully intend to do
  3. ?????? Some... other method I'm not aware of?
I'd rather not resort to using one of those link cable lights, in no small part because I found my fiancee's working e-Reader, and I know that wouldn't work in an SP, and wouldn't work unless I could leave that link cable port open for it.

september796

Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
I suggest the front light mod. I can say one more pro about it:
+ it is better for outdoors! (the backlit is not good at all on a sunny day)

also, don't worry about the battery usage, it's not that bad just buy 2000 or more mA batteries (avoid cheap chinese brands) and you should be more than fine. Besides you can carry many of these bateries if you go on a long trip to the space they are easy swappable on the OG GBA :)
so please don't kill any more gbasp backlit screen on mods, the OG GBA is meant to be like that and it's great with its pros and cons!

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whelp, odd that I finally get a response now, since I feel like I should update.

In my event, I was later able to get in contact with a fellow Temper that had a spare AGS 101 screen, and the adapter cable for putting to an OG GBA.

A few days later, it arrives, plugs in, works like a charm since. Was then able to make use of a replacement shell for the system, giving it a fresh look to go with the fresh screen.

End Result
5779c9c7e2733.jpg

It's like the Uber GBA now, since I have to admit, the ergonomics of this system feel a lot better. Not to mention, being able to use the e-Reader I found.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: