Gaming advance wars

aofelix

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
hey, is there a plot to the advance wars titles/an order i should play them in i should I just jump straight in?

tatumanu

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
There is a plot between advance wars 1+2+ dual strike ... but not deep or with cliffhangers.
It doesn't really matter the order, they do show some background story at the beginning of each sequel... but you will get bored and not challenged if you play the first game after beating any of the sequels.
Day of Ruin is complete different story and characters altogether.

aofelix

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
ahh okay so probably start from start then?

I'll have to find a GBA emulating device as I only have a 3DS :(

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Technically the "wars" series stretches back to the GB and NES, many of the games have also been translated and hacked to be improved/fixed. Though Advance Wars in general is a pretty well hacked game series, http://forums.warsworldnews.com/ being a good jumping off point there.

What I will say is the games depart a bit from their original formula as things went on -- for me they almost started out a bit like chess with a simple moveset but one that was ultimately very rewarding, then they started a shift towards CO powers, CO abilities, added water and air units, added several different types of tanks and many more units (if you follow the gameplay style many would say this is when the series started to mirror aspects of the long time rival franchise daisenryaku). This is not a bad thing and the games were still very fun and balanced/rewarding for those that considered their moves.

aofelix

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you for the info.

I think I'll start with AW 1, then AW2.

Is there a way I can play GBA games? I have a 3DS, PSP and Vita. I can't manage to find a GBA or DS lite for a decent price.. very frustrating. finding the game carts is even harder!!

aofelix

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I've read advance wars is not computerisable on PSP emus aka they get errors and slowdown and text errors?

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've read advance wars is not computerisable on PSP emus aka they get errors and slowdown and text errors?
1. You wont know unless you try. So get jGPS or whatever its called and try that first. Get both roms, its possible that one runs better than the other.
2. Advance wars for the GBA are ok. If you want the best "Advance wars" experience, you actually want to play the 2005 Duel Strike version. Do you have a 3DS compatible DS flash cart? If the answer is no, then I would suggest looking for a DSTWO. That way you can play the DS releases as well as get a the GBA emulator for DS and try the GBA ones that way.
3. My favorite Advance Wars game is actually the one that departs the farthest from the series, Days of Ruin. Its like the gritty reboot that does a good job, but is actually where the series stops. at least for the time being, unfortunately.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Watching the fallout series it is pretty decent