Hacking Adding USB hard drive internally PS3 Slim?

Runehasa

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wanted to add more space to my ps3 as I am currently using a 1tb internal drive. What I was hoping to do was add a smaller western digital my passport drive internally to the system somehow and run the cable through the case and plug it in. My goal behind this is to not have an extra drive that is flopping around outside the system but essentially add an external drive inside. Does anyone know if this can be done or if there is even any room in the ps3 slim to make this happen? Wanted to ask here before I dug into opening my ps3

cobleman

Trophies
XP
Country
1tb 2.5" is the maximum internal drive you can run inside a PS3(can only be installed as far as I know in safe mode or errors will occur during format).

ResleyZ

Swiggity swaggity swooty, I love my own booty
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
1tb 2.5" is the maximum internal drive you can run inside a PS3(can only be installed as far as I know in safe mode or errors will occur during format).
He wants to put a 2nd hdd inside it, using a usb connector.

Don't think there'd be enough room for it. Consoles are made the way they are for a reason. Anyway, even if there would be enough space, you can't use the 2nd HDD for saving games or stuff like that. You can only use it for photo's, video's and music if I remember correctly.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you could fit it at all you'd probably need to do some massive modding to the case, and maybe take the drive out of the USB enclosure (depends how big it is) or just use a bare drive with a SATA to USB adapter.

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a 2TB usb hdd sitting right next to my PS3, never once thought about putting the hdd inside the ps3. What purpose does this serve? Wouldn't that generate more heat inside the PS3 case?

Runehasa

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried yesterday and couldnt find any concievable way to do it without removing the blu ray. Oh well was just hoping to have an all in one unit but I guess Ill have to go with having a drive next to it. Probably better for heat anyhow as you had previously mentioned

aflamingo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried yesterday and couldnt find any concievable way to do it without removing the blu ray. Oh well was just hoping to have an all in one unit but I guess Ill have to go with having a drive next to it. Probably better for heat anyhow as you had previously mentioned
Do you use the blu ray? I mean... you don't need the blu ray to be connected to play games from HDD, you could remove It and your ps3 would still work just fine.

Runehasa

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On a rare occasion some games require a blu ray disk to be in the drive in order for it to run. Thats why I keep a copy of Madden 08 around that i paid $1 for. Ill just suck it up and maybe velcro it to the side of the ps3 or something. I tend to be too anal about making things look good or be all in one

aflamingo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On a rare occasion some games require a blu ray disk to be in the drive in order for it to run. Thats why I keep a copy of Madden 08 around that i paid $1 for. Ill just suck it up and maybe velcro it to the side of the ps3 or something. I tend to be too anal about making things look good or be all in one
I'm pretty sure that you can play all games without any disc in the drive on any CFW with cobra 7.0 features and webman.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you need the logic board at least to be functional for the most part. some homebrew software will not run without a blu ray drive, but the laser/mechanical parts are irrelevant.

i dont think the slim would fit anything more, but maybe a fat might.

i know your pain too, i have two externals plugged in my fat - i might move the usbs to the rear so at least its all in back. when they come out the front its a pain!

katsup

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Delete enough of the games that you will never play or ones that you beat so that it all fits. This is what I do, but I only have a 500GB internal so a 16GB flash drive holds one game currently.

aflamingo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Removed my blu ray drive, tested Google Drive, MultiMan, WebMan and showtime. Played some PSN games, with webman, played PS3, PS2, PS1 and PSP games, no issues so far.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.