Review Ace3DS Plus Review

MaxymPicotte

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Would you mind testing other more popular homebrews? I'm thinking of Doom DS, Wold3d_DS, Super Smash Crash and MegaETK, jenesis, apprentice minus and the various SNES emulators

Thanks!

Reactions: BlazeMasterBM

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I heard it's not the genuine R4 Wood but is it worth buying? I currently have the R4i Gold.
If you cart works like you want it to, no need to buy a new one. Except if it offered more features (RTS, GBA emu, etc). Otherwise I see no reason to upgrade to another cart since you can only use one at a time in a single console. Especially if you don't collect flashcarts.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I heard it's not the genuine R4 Wood but is it worth buying? I currently have the R4i Gold.

If you have an R4i gold (url: http://r4ids.cn/) then it already officially supports Wood R4 and there is no point buying a clone that doesn't officially support Wood R4.
I would recommend avoiding cards like the Ace3DS and other clones like it.

Seratonin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

If you have an R4i gold (url: http://r4ids.cn/) then it already officially supports Wood R4 and there is no point buying a clone that doesn't officially support Wood R4.
I was asking because I thought it sounds worth buying something that had emulation.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

I was asking because I thought it sounds worth buying something that had emulation.
I don't think it does and even it it did, it would most likely not be very good.
I suggest going with the Supercard DSTwo, from nds-card.com. nds-card.com is GBATemp's official sponsor, so buying from them supports the Temp! :yay:

Seratonin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I don't think it does and even it it did, it would most likely not be very good.
I suggest going with the Supercard DSTwo, from nds-card.com. nds-card.com is GBATemp's official sponsor, so buying from them supports the Temp! :yay:
Does the Supercard DSTwo play GBA games at 100% speed?

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

Does the Supercard DSTwo play GBA games at 100% speed?
Close to it. If you want 100% I suggest a slot-2 card, otherwise to the DSTwo is really close.

crysalim

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Doesn't it feel odd for all these flash cards to come out with 3ds in the name? They don't play 3ds roms.

It's like releasing a mod for the PSP Go and saying, sorry this only plays original PSP roms. Which, quite honestly, probably exists and is being marketed to those who don't know better.

At first I just ignored these things, but when they get this much attention, there is a problem. The ONLY reason these are created is to fool newcomers to flash carts into thinking these can actually play 3ds roms, and promoting/reviewing them on GBAtemp is just distasteful... at the very least clearly state within the review that it cannot play 3ds roms.

And, for gods sakes, don't give these awards. $6 for a flash cart is meaningless when it's still last gen technology.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Doesn't it feel odd for all these flash cards to come out with 3ds in the name? They don't play 3ds roms.
Same shit as all these companies using the "R4" name even though they have nothing to do with the original "R4" team. They're just sticking whatever labels on the cart they think will sell it.

It's like releasing a mod for the PSP Go and saying, sorry this only plays original PSP roms. Which, quite honestly, probably exists and is being marketed to those who don't know better.
There's no Go-specific games, though.

At first I just ignored these things, but when they get this much attention, there is a problem. The ONLY reason these are created is to fool newcomers to flash carts into thinking these can actually play 3ds roms
No, the point is that these carts can run on the 3DS at all. Are you new to the scene? Older flash carts like the original R4 and such couldn't run on the DSi because the DSi had additional protection, so when new flash carts were developed that could, they usually had "i" in the name (Acekard 2i, R4i, DSONEi, DSTTi, etc.) to denote that they were the version that could run on the DSi. Same thing with the 3DS.

and promoting/reviewing them on GBAtemp is just distasteful... at the very least clearly state within the review that it cannot play 3ds roms.
There's a giant sticky in the 3DS hacking/homebrew section proclaiming there's no way to play 3DS ROMs. In fact, the mods/admins modified it so that the sticky is actually in a different color to make it stand out. Also the review never mentions the ability to play 3DS ROMs, nor does any sort of tests, so there's nothing to lead users to believe this runs 3DS ROMs, other than a user's own inability to read and do any research for themselves.

Yes, you're going to get users that ask stupid shit anyways, but those questions are going to be asked regardless of any information out there.

crysalim

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Same shit as all these companies using the "R4" name even though they have nothing to do with the original "R4" team. They're just sticking whatever labels on the cart they think will sell it.

There's no Go-specific games, though.

At first I just ignored these things, but when they get this much attention, there is a problem. The ONLY reason these are created is to fool newcomers to flash carts into thinking these can actually play 3ds roms
No, the point is that these carts can run on the 3DS at all. Are you new to the scene? Older flash carts like the original R4 and such couldn't run on the DSi because the DSi had additional protection, so when new flash carts were developed that could, they usually had "i" in the name (Acekard 2i, R4i, DSONEi, DSTTi, etc.) to denote that they were the version that could run on the DSi. Same thing with the 3DS.

and promoting/reviewing them on GBAtemp is just distasteful... at the very least clearly state within the review that it cannot play 3ds roms.
There's a giant sticky in the 3DS hacking/homebrew section proclaiming there's no way to play 3DS ROMs. In fact, the mods/admins modified it so that the sticky is actually in a different color to make it stand out. Also the review never mentions the ability to play 3DS ROMs, nor does any sort of tests, so there's nothing to lead users to believe this runs 3DS ROMs, other than a user's own inability to read and do any research for themselves.

Yes, you're going to get users that ask stupid shit anyways, but those questions are going to be asked regardless of any information out there.

Well, I've been following the 3ds scene all along, which was the point of my post. There's a couple things to keep in mind though:

There indeed were flash carts that indicated compatibility with the DSi, because that system did not have its own games and was just an update to the DS that enabled Nintendo to patch out cart functionality. That was a bit more important to have, and was not as weird as "3ds carts" are currently name wise, because people were very paranoid at first of whether original flash carts would brick your DSi or get it banned from the online shop. I actually don't know if these carts can play the DSI downloadable shop material, but I think they can, and that's what I thought the real reason for the nomenclature was.

While things like the regular R4 (which you're correct about by the way, in that it had a lot of clones) never worked on the 3ds, the Supercard DSTwo got an update very soon after launch that let it work. This was just due to how good that cart is, and the team having planned for such an update in the future, but I firmly believed this would be the precedent that teams took. This didn't mean the regular Supercard One would work, or the SD card versions (of course, seeing as a GBA slot wouldn't be carried over), but people who wanted the top of the line at the time with flash carts could easily find out that yes, a DSTwo would work on your 3ds and play regular DS games.

That card is actually still only named DSTwo but is listed in some shops as the DSTwo 3ds. Supercard doesn't call it that, so why would a vendor add that to the name, other than to get some impulse sales on the hopes of those who don't know better?

It's fine to have a sticky in the 3ds forum about roms, but lets talk about the review in the OP for example - I combed it over twice looking for a reaffirmation on this, and came up short. As far as I can tell the reviewer doesn't even point out that it can't play 3ds roms!

Of course we know all this, many people have for a while. It should still be noted, and reaffirmed as often as possible. The worst part about this scenario is that almost every new flash cart is slapping "3ds" in their name, when it's really a DSi cart that doesn't white screen on a 3ds.

Oh, as a side note, I did make an error in talking about the PSP Go, I really meant the Vita. My fault, I don't have one of those yet. :)

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I actually don't know if these carts can play the DSI downloadable shop material, but I think they can, and that's what I thought the real reason for the nomenclature was.
No, no carts play eshop material. There's only ONE cart that plays DSi-specific cart ROMs, and it came through rather late to the scene (well after all the standard DSi-compatible carts showed up).

While things like the regular R4 (which you're correct about by the way, in that it had a lot of clones) never worked on the 3ds, the Supercard DSTwo got an update very soon after launch that let it work. This was just due to how good that cart is, and the team having planned for such an update in the future, but I firmly believed this would be the precedent that teams took.
The DSTwo is the successor to the DSONEi, which is the DSi-compatible version of the DSONE (notice the pattern).

Most flash carts that worked on the DSi and actually got updates could work on the 3DS. The R4i Gold, Acekard 2i, EZ-Flash Vi, etc... they started out as carts marketed for the DSi, but since the 3DS uses the same sort of protection it was (relatively) trivial for existing DSi-compatible carts to update

The important distinction here being the availability of updates. A lot of R4 clones stop getting support/updates a few months after coming out, so there's no way even the DSi versions could be updated to work on the 3DS. Even with the carts that do get support, a lot of the R4 clones are made really cheap and can't take the needed upgrades, so the team will just make a new model that's 3DS compatible.

All these things combined cause cart teams to start printing "3DS" labels on the carts to indicate that the cart indeed runs on the 3DS. Even non-R4 carts like the Acekard 2i updated at least their packaging to denote 3DS compatibility.
http://www.acekard.com/news.php#152

That card is actually still only named DSTwo but is listed in some shops as the DSTwo 3ds. Supercard doesn't call it that, so why would a vendor add that to the name, other than to get some impulse sales on the hopes of those who don't know better?
To inform people that it's been updated to run on the 3DS.

I'll use the AK2i as an example as well so you know it's not just the R4-named carts... check these shop pages.
http://www.zhuzhuchina.com/store/acekard_2i_dsi_1_4_4_original_in_promo_only_one_piece_per_order.html
http://www.nds-card.com/ProShow.asp?ProID=160
http://realhotstuff.com/acekard-2i-p-319.html
Notice a pattern? They all denote which systems and which firmware the flash carts work on because this is important. If a flash cart is not updated at least to the point of the software on the user's system, it will not run, and they'll have a device that they cannot use. So shops often update the carts before sending them out, and the pages note which update has been applied.

"Well then why bother putting something short like 3DS in the title?" - Because with some carts there's versions that can and cannot work on certain models. For example the Acekard 2 cannot work on the DSi, but the Acekard 2i can. In addition the Acekard 2i Hardware Model 44 stopped getting updates a while back, it's the later models (such as the 81) that are still getting proper updates. The "3DS" notice in the title would let people know they're getting a hardware 81 opposed to hardware 44 (though ID44 hasn't been produced in a long time from what I hear).

It's fine to have a sticky in the 3ds forum about roms, but lets talk about the review in the OP for example - I combed it over twice looking for a reaffirmation on this, and came up short. As far as I can tell the reviewer doesn't even point out that it can't play 3ds roms!
"This hair dryer review doesn't say it can't fellate me, so that means it can!"

Why would a review discuss things the device can't do? To compare it to other devices, correct. However, no device plays 3DS ROMs, so there is no alternative with confirmation.

Of course we know all this, many people have for a while. It should still be noted, and reaffirmed as often as possible. The worst part about this scenario is that almost every new flash cart is slapping "3ds" in their name, when it's really a DSi cart that doesn't white screen on a 3ds.
Then every flash cart with "i" in the name (except for the iEvo) is just a DS flash cart that doesn't blackscreen on the DSi.

OH WAIT THAT'S WHAT THEY ARE.

SAME FUCKING SHIT.

EDIT: Typos.

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
It's a losing battle to argue about flashcart names. Most of the names suck, that is all. Deal with it because regardless of anything else, it's not going to change any time soon...nor will anyone go out of their way to name every single thing that cannot be done with their review sample. In fact, that would be a pretty mean thing to bitch about something that works decent and was given without charge (though I do that in most of my videos because I'm a badass and clone flashcarts suck).

tranfeer

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
For newbie to flashcards, please have a look at this before buying a card.
http://gbatemp.net/topic/290097-which-flash-cart-should-i-get/
All cards listed here can release the kernel and updating patch very regularly.
Just choose one among them according to your request.

Mbmax

Homebrew addicted
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I wonder which Chinese team is behind this oem flashcart ... R4Li maybe ?
It seems to be a shop tied product (digimaniaz).

BTW, the USB microSD reader idea is great to fool the customs. :D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs