Review Ace3DS Plus Review

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the issues i see with more testing are that compatibility won't tell us much. i am assuming that its just old wood with loader updates. it would be interesting to find out if they have fixed any problem homebrew or roms. if that is the case then perhaps new features aren't as important. but, i suspect that they are simply adding loader updates and recompiling the source for new roms and not touching anything in the core.

i am not trying to sound hyper-critical towards your review, so i hope i haven't come off that way. it is an excellent effort for a first flash kit review. i just think that a bit more evidence should be uncovered and that the review should be updated appropriately. you should reserve your final judgement until that time.

-another world

Of course, I perfectly understand. For the mean time I'll take away the conclusion. With more testing I mean by a little bit of freezing I've been getting recently. I may want to try another Micro SD Card. I did send you that PM as well. I'm always open to changes, as long as they are not biased or for lack of a better word. Rude.

Reactions: BlazeMasterBM

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Knowing it's a Wood clone, go back through the updates and test a couple games that were fixed in each update. Going backwards like that, starting with 1.49, you should figure it out pretty quickly. And yeah, gold award, I question that. DSTwo is gold award. This, on the other hand, might be silver at best.

Oh, and I realize Conquest was fixed, so don't necessarily use landmark games. Try slightly more obscure titles if they're available in the update. This cart may boast great compatibility for stuff many people play, but perhaps the obscure has fallen by the wayside in their modifications.

Conor McMahon

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Noticed that Ace3ds Plus official site has released the new firmware, also updated their wood firmware to V1.50.

ACE Wood firmware V1.50 Released ! -2012-07-23

Change Log
'pocket monsters - black 2 (japan)' fixed.
'pocket monsters - white 2 (japan)' fixed.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
*yawn* Complain about it if you want. Unless it doesn't get any support, it's a solid budget card. If it doesn't get support, I'll simply change the scoring but until then your prejudices against clones doesn't matter.

Testing more games, and homebrew out. We've got that covered.

Yes Gold, it does the job. Includes a pretty nifty OS, which includes a bunch of Emus already built in.
That's not really a good attitude to have when it comes down to these reviews. Just because a flashcard works, doesn't make it good. This card does not officially support Wood R4, which means you are recommending people buy a card that is running either a fake or hacked kernel. This is not a solid budget flashcard, it's more like a clone of a solid budget flashcard.
As well a reward is something you give when it's finished and something that is earned, throwing gold rewards out like they were candy only ruins the propose of the reward in the first place.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
why bronze all of sudden?

with good build, and all of those features you said
even more at that price?
my card reader is definitely more expensive than this thing.
'Cause a flash cart is more than what it can do right now. Lasting support is a very important thing.

See these?
http://gbatemp.net/topic/321797-cyclops-no-longer-supports-the-ievolution/
http://gbatemp.net/topic/322299-m3-real-m3i-zero-cards-are-no-longer-supported/
The CycloDS and M3 series were once considered the best carts out there.
Now not only are they not, but people are actively encouraged to stay away because of the lack of support.

Also check this site.
http://www.linfoxdomain.com/nintendo/ds/
And see the number of sites that aren't even up anymore (and the number that haven't even updated since 2007/2008).

And just ask all the people on the forums using "dead" R4/TT clones how much they would like updates to actually play new games.

It's become increasingly clear that the only DS flash carts worth a purchase anymore are ones with proper support. This cart, with it's unofficial hacked firmware, is on unstable ground as far as we see it. YWG could make a change in Wood 1.51 that stops this cart from using any sort of Wood base/updates, then people who bought this cart would have to look elsewhere or hope the team can hack something else into working.

This is not the situation with carts that have official support. With those carts we know the next version of software, when released, will run on the product we bought.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
1-4 bronze
4-8 silver
9-10 gold

there is nothing other than bronze, silver, and gold here. so a card that failed in all regards but yet physically exists would get a bronze. unless you elected to leave off the score.

however, you should not think of the award in terms of score. put together all the positives and negatives and then decide how you would rate it for users. where a bronze works (and/or has potential to be better), a silver is highly usable (compatibility, bug-free, etc) with some cool features, and a gold just knocks it out of the park (goes a step beyond, has an excellent team, has frequent updates, has a solid build, is at a good price point, has a great community support, etc).

when the award system was created it was a direct response to a changing flash kit scene. with each new release carts offered more features, better updates, better support, etc. anything that enters the market now pretty much has all that stuff covered, making the award system a bit antiquated.

-another world

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1-4 bronze
4-8 silver
9-10 gold

there is nothing other than bronze, silver, and gold here. so a card that failed in all regards but yet physically exists would get a bronze. unless you elected to leave off the score.

however, you should not think of the award in terms of score. put together all the positives and negatives and then decide how you would rate it for users. where a bronze works, a silver is highly usable with some cool features, and a gold just knocks it out of the park.

-another world

Bronze is definitely the scoring I'd put it at.

Centrix

Stop Poking the Moogle!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Than change the rating to sliver at least as you haven't given us any reason as to why you gave it a bronze award as bronze implies; at least to me, that there is allot more wrong with it! honestly from what I have seen of the card I like it and will be picking one up or the Acekard 2i, meh might just get both just for the hell of it :P . Either way, even if the Kernel is outdated, if we are keeping are Wood firmware updated with what's on GBATemp than the compatibility is extremely high with DS games as far as I can see, right?

I'd switch to silver since you gave it a 6/10 even if its your personal opinion, your still saying that its a good card bronze does not imply that! just saying :)

mybutterfly

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For newbies to flashcards, the thread listed below is a good guide.
http://gbatemp.net/topic/290097-which-flash-cart-should-i-get/
Cards recommended above can all release the kernel and updating patch normally for years.These characteristics are very important for a flashcard. Just choose flashcards listed in this thread and you do not need worry about anything.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Musk sues Hyundai in 3... 2... 1...