Ace Attorney Investigations 2: Miles Edgeworth Fan Translation

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Chaze the chat, Apr 17, 2011.

Apr 17, 2011
    • Newcomer

Chaze the chat New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    In a Q and A segment on Capcom's website, they said there were no new plans for localizing AAI2. However, over at Court Records, they are creating a fan translation. Since you are all the experts, I was wondering if any of you would like to help us get started. http://z11.invisionfree.com/court_records/...c=4060&st=0 The main topic for this. Thank you in advanced. [IMG]

RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    The first thing that occurs to me is that you may be able to look at the original Gyakuten Saiban trilogy as a base.
    They include both a japanese and english language option, reverse engineering that may supply a good way to change the japanese characters and string management to english.
    • Newcomer

Message Count:
    United States

kirokun New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Hell yeah!

This should get more support!

I really do hope Capcom changes it's mind though.

jjjewel New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    There's a group that's translating AAI1 to French. (Just search the forum and you should find it.) You might ask for some helps from them or read how they got it to work.

I don't know how similar the file structures for AAI1 and AAI2 are, but you might get some idea on how to hack the game if you learn a bit about file structures of the previous games. (There're a few threads on Gyakuten Saiban/Phoenix Wright hacks too. You might read them, both here and at romhacking.net.)

As far as I remember, AAI1 doesn't use normal encoding table and you'll have to create the table by yourself. (I remembered someone posted a table for AAI1 too but I couldn't find which thread. Anyway, in your case here, you'll need a Japanese table to extract the script.)
    • Newcomer

Mcfan2 New Member

Message Count:
    Netherlands
    Im no good at translating but THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUU!

HOLD IT!
    There is one small issue.....what about voice files like OBJECTION, HOLD IT, EUREKA and the new OVERRULED and CHECK MATE!
    The last 2 are going to be difficult since there are no voice files available.
    • Newcomer

Singularity_UK New Member

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    I'm sure some fans will do voice acting. As for Edgeworth needing a Checkmate now, just find someone who can do a voice very similar to Edgeworth's.

With regards to the project, I'd suggest just getting it all actually translated first. It's a fairly linear game (even more linear than Gyakuten Saiban) so it shouldn't be too complicated to get it all down on 'paper' in a comprehensible format.

Then figure out how to get the text into the game. You can't build a skyscraper if the foundations aren't solid.

hackotedelaplaqu New Member

Message Count:
    France
    I'm already working on it.

[IMG]

Table (but Kanjis) and Script are Ok.
    I'm looking into letter spacing now.
    • Newcomer

GSR New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Very impressive! I think a Court-Records member's already sent you a PM, but CR would be happy to work on the translation end (and do the hacking grunt work if need be.)

WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Message Count:
    Argentina
    Wha happend to the original court records website anyway? It has been offline for more than a half year.
    • Newcomer

GSR New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    The site is still up, but the normal forums have been down for so long due to the webmaster having serious problems in his life. Content-wise, Croik (the site's owner) isn't interested in Ace Attorney as much these days and as such hasn't updated with GK2 stuff.
    • Newcomer

DeMatador New Member

Message Count:
    Argentina
    Hm? I can access it just fine.

Now the main C-R forums, forums.court-records.net, indeed, have been offline since October.

Also, yes, I have sent hackotedelaplaque a PM offering him a place inside C-R's Fan Translation Project, or, at the very least, asking for his assistance. I'm a moderator at C-R, and am, in a way, co-leading the Translation Project, management-wise.
    • Newcomer

C0dy New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    If someone does this I will give them the biggest cookie I can find
    • Newcomer

Teclo New Member

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    If it's just for the HOLD IT and OBJECTION this should be okay. But "fan dub" is such a horrible phrase...
    • Newcomer

Message Count:
    United States
    Don't worry, we have people just auditioning for the new parts. The old ones will stay the same. [IMG]

Pingouin7 disgrace to famiry

Message Count:
    Canada
    But there already are official "Hold it", "Objection" and "Take That" in the first AAI.
    Couldn't they just reuse those?

But we'd be stuck with the Japanese voices for other characters that weren't present in the first.

machomuu Drops by occasionally

Message Count:
    United States
    What's wrong with the Japanese voices? It seems like more trouble for them to insert the old voices, I say we stick with the Japanese ones.

Ron It Begins

Message Count:
    Canada
    Dammit, Capcom, Why no AAI2?

Ace Attorney is about the story, if you don't understand the story, you have no game.

*gives Capcom Damon Gant's neverending stare*
    Good luck you guys. [IMG]

machomuu Drops by occasionally

Message Count:
    United States
    Seriously, Capcom is making a foolishly foolish mistake that the fools and their foolish pockets and eventually they will foolishly come to rue the foolishly foolish day foolishly.
    • Newcomer

DeMatador New Member

Message Count:
    Argentina
    To those wondering about voices, we will reuse all voice clips for all reappearing characters, but will cast new voice actors for new characters. As far as I know, no returning character from previous games have any new yells in AAI2.

To ellaborate on this last part, Edgeworth has no yell for the Logic Chess system, so no, "Checkmate!" doesn't exist. It'd been cool, but it's a huge relief, since we don't have to find a voice actor that sounds like his official voice.