Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Aliens decide to test humankind by granting a single, random human the power to do, as the title says, absolutely anything. If the human uses this power for good, good. If not, the Earth will be destroyed. Apparently aliens haven't heard of statistics.

Basically it looks like Bruce Almighty but in England and with aliens. Directed by Terry Jones, with Simon Pegg as the random single human, Robin Williams as the dog, and the cast of Monty Python as the aliens.

Thoughts?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I do not think I have seen anything he has directed in recent years, not that there has been much that I would have seen, though seen as he did the Monty Python films and has not gone George Lucas on us all* then I might even make it to optimism.

I wonder if I will have regretted watching the following when I do see it

On Bruce Almighty... from what I can recall Bruce Almighty was all visual gags without much meaning. I would put this as something closer to the invention of lying, which I would have liked if I could turn off the "lying is a biological/evolutionary advantage" part of my brain.

*he wrote the following which I quite liked

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So I got around to seeing it. Pretty forgettable really, even if I treated it as closer to a random TV show and speaking of TV shows I do not reckon it would have even done better as one. I guess I liked it more than Bruce Almighty, though Bruce Almighty might have been slightly tighter. At the same time I dare say the invention of lying was a better film and I really did not enjoy that, and actually I reckon that would be the better film to compare it to now I have seen it.

Some of the parts in the school were not bad, even if they completely wasted Eddie Izzard (worse than Ocean's sequels), but I reckon I would have rather watched that old Teachers TV show instead. It was nice seeing Sanjeev Bhaskar in a comedy role as I had not seen much of him since the older Kumars and Goodness Gracious me ( an example) but it amounted to not a lot. On the subject of wasted the Pythons could have been any other decent voice actors really. The animation of them, while nothing technically spectacular, was good pretty stuff. I do not know if Terry Gilliam was in any way responsible for it and a search is not telling me much but it was strongly reminiscent at points. Oh yeah there were some other noted comedy actors involved in this, even more underused really.

Things I liked more with broadly similar themes
Ruby Sparks
That episode of the xfiles where he encounters a genie (s7e21 apparently)
Various kids TV shows where wishes were a thing, usually UK or Australia based. Something like Five Children and It/The Sand Fairy.
Any time Red Dwarf came close to such a topic (luck virus and better than life being two examples that come to mind).

My already low opinion is getting even lower as this goes on so I will leave it there. If you are after a Simon Pegg film then it was not brilliant but Kill Me Three Times has some better moments, though it was certainly not a comedy film, and Man Up some are saying is not bad.

T-hug

Always like this.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
I saw it, thought it was OK I guess, nothing special, loved the aliens though!

If you liked this you may like:

MV5BMTc5MTI5Njk1Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzgyMzc5NjE@._V1_SY317_CR10,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Came out recently and has a similar premise: www.imdb.com/title/tt3055402

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    I can't believe you got me with that
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I haven't been gaming for such a long time. Been mostly busy with sleep, hardware tinkering and checking GBAtemp frequently.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hope you've had a good morning.
    It's going alright thanks :) I know what you mean with gaming time. It's precious where I can get it these days.
    +1
    I think that's why I focus on just enjoying single player experiences that aren't too competitive
    How are you doing?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There's also this thing where I'm hyperfocused at night and cannot get to sleep.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl: