• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

About today’s Florida shooting

WiiUBricker

News Police
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
If you haven’t heard by now, today was a devastating day for humanity as there was a shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida. I think this is a topic that shouldn’t be ignored. Here you can find the archived reddit live feed regarding the events. Suspect is a 19 year old, former student of the school who was expelled for disciplinary reasons. As of writing, the police confirmed 17 deaths and 17 injured. Weapon was an AK-15 rifle.

The FBI has set up a website where you can submit photos, videos and other information about the shooting.

First off, my deepest condolescens to all the victims and their families. I hope everybody at gbatemp is save.

There is a terrifying video somewhere on twitter that someone inside the school was filming while they were hiding inside a classroom. You can hear shots fired and students screaming. This is unreal. You go to school thinking it’s just any other normal day and suddenly you find yourself hiding for your life.

Then there were those insensitive “journalists” who were asking kids escaping from the school for details, like, what the fuck is wrong with you? They are shocked for life, leave them be with your stupid questions. Or those who asked a student who posted a picture of his hiding place on twitter, for permission to use his picture for an article, while the suspect was still on the loose! Sometimes you can’t help but wonder if traffic is the only thing those people care about.

Finally, regarding the suspect, I don’t think that a 19 year old should be able to get a hold of a fricking AK-15 or any gun, like, at all. Insert generic “US gun laws must be changed” comment here.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
If you haven’t heard by now, today was a devastating day for humanity as there was a shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida. I think this is a topic that shouldn’t be ignored. Here you can find the archived reddit live feed regarding the events. Suspect is a 19 year old, former student of the school who was expelled for disciplinary reasons. As of writing, the police confirmed 17 deaths and 17 injured. Weapon was an AK-15 rifle.

The FBI has set up a website where you can submit photos, videos and other information about the shooting.

First off, my deepest condolescens to all the victims and their families. I hope everybody at gbatemp is save.

There is a terrifying video somewhere on twitter that someone inside the school was filming while they were hiding inside a classroom. You can hear shots fired and students screaming. This is unreal. You go to school thinking it’s just any other normal day and suddenly you find yourself hiding for your life.

Then there were those insensitive “journalists” who were asking kids escaping from the school for details, like, what the fuck is wrong with you? They are shocked for life, leave them be with your stupid questions. Or those who asked a student who posted a picture of his hiding place on twitter, for permission to use his picture for an article, while the suspect was still on the loose! Sometimes you can’t help but wonder if traffic is the only thing those people care about.

Finally, regarding the suspect, I don’t think that a 19 year old should be able to get a hold of a fricking AK-15 or any gun, like, at all. Insert generic “US gun laws must be changed” comment here.

A former student who was apparently expelled for issues inside the school. Mate, the issue isn't gun laws. The issue isn't the gun. It's the person. It's the people. He CLEARLY was a troubled person. He apparently has a background of some mental issues. Instead of getting him the help he needed, he was pushed away. I'm going to say this now, if any of you think guns are ANY part of the problem here, you're an idiot.

Last edited by Kioku,

WiiUBricker

News Police
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
A former student who was apparently expelled for issues inside the school. Mate, the issue isn't gun laws. The issue isn't the gun. It's the person. It's the people. He CLEARLY was a troubled person. He apparently has a background of some mental issues. Instead of getting him the help he needed, he was pushed away. I'm going to say this now, if you think guns are ANY part of the problem here, you're an idiot.
Of course the person itself is the source issue, but you can’t deny that gun laws make it worse. A crazy person with a gun is more dangerous than a crazy person with a knife. You can’t make laws to prevent crazy persons but you can make laws that prevent crazy persons with a gun.

SonowRaevius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
-Mass shooting happens
-People say something about it
-Nothing changes
-People forget about it
-Rinse and repeat

Honestly, why even argue about it any more, it's clear that people (both the average joe and those in charge) would rather hundreds of innocent civilians and children die yearly than do anything that might reduce those numbers.

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I wish I read other posts after yours offering condolences to the people who died, those that were injured, and all the families of the students who attended that school, but no. Can't the arguing about gun laws and motives take a backseat to first showing that you care that many lives were taken and/or forever compromised?

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Last school shooting in Europe was somewhere in the 90s.

I'm sorry but anyone saying "it's not the guns, it's the person" is wrong.
It is the ease of access to guns.
Civilians in Europe aren't allowed to have semi-auto weapons or firearms of any kind (excluding hunting rifles with permits n extensive background checks n what not)
The worst we got on school is perhaps a gun flashing or 1 death by a ghost gun but that barely happens.

It's not the guns, it's not the person it's not the parents.
It's the ease of access to firearms
You don't need a firearm to protect your property, a kitchen knife will also do fine.

And if the person is troubled, send him to an institute or w/e.
School knew about his problems and the school already suspended him for bringing a firearm to said school.
The principal could've prevented this, unfortunately in hindsight.

I know I will receive tons of quotes on this post.
Mostly from disgruntled Americans going "muh gun laws, muh second amendment" n what not.
I don't care, it's me personal opinion on the subject and I will be ignoring any quoted posts.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Of course the person itself is the source issue, but you can’t deny that gun laws make it worse. A crazy person with a gun is more dangerous than a crazy person with a knife. You can’t make laws to prevent crazy persons but you can make laws that prevent crazy persons with a gun.

We already have that law. A mentally ill or impaired person is prohibited by federal law from purchasing or possessing firearms or ammo. Same goes for felons, drug addicts, illegal aliens, domestic violence offenders. They're all banned from having guns, already.

Last edited by Hanafuda,
Reactions: Ethevion

RyanAnayaMc

The ACE
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A former student who was apparently expelled for issues inside the school. Mate, the issue isn't gun laws. The issue isn't the gun. It's the person. It's the people. He CLEARLY was a troubled person. He apparently has a background of some mental issues. Instead of getting him the help he needed, he was pushed away. I'm going to say this now, if you think guns are ANY part of the problem here, you're an idiot.

Agreed. If you take away guns, then that only hinders the ability of the law-abiders to defend themselves. If you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns. I think that arming the school faculty would be a bigger help to deter or defend against such shootings.

Hyborix3

Gabi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
-Mass shooting happens
-People say something about it
-Nothing changes
-People forget about it
-Rinse and repeat

Honestly, why even argue about it any more, it's clear that people (both the average joe and those in charge) would rather hundreds of innocent civilians and children die yearly than do anything that might reduce those numbers.
You forget to also add people who makes edgy offensive memes with videos, pictures and so on instead of doing anything.

ThisIsDaAccount

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I have a friend who's in college but who's family house is either on the same street as that school or in walking distance at least. I only know one person who actually attends the school (my friend's nieghbhor, I barely know the guy), I'm currently in Washington state, and my family house thst I grew up in is an hour away from the school at least. Still, it felt like it was really close and was super scary. My friend (the one who's family lives near Stoneman) still hasn't heard from all her friends in the school. It's been super scary even if I don't really have much of a relationship with Stoneman, it's still part of my community. This day has not been great

Last edited by ThisIsDaAccount,
D

Deleted User

I have some friends who I think are fairly close to where this happened. It's shit that this happens as often as it does in the US.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

ThisIsDaAccount

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just as a sidenote, semi automatic weapons should be extra banned. We have guns for self defense, these guns are clearly for offense. The shooting wasn't exclusively caused by the fact thst an AR 15 was used but if you ban weapons that aren't for self defense it wouldn't be anywhere near as deadly. Only exception should be a hunting license

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wish I read other posts after yours offering condolences to the people who died, those that were injured, and all the families of the students who attended that school, but no. Can't the arguing about gun laws and motives take a backseat to first showing that you care that many lives were taken and/or forever compromised?
We talk about tighter gun laws because we care about the deaths, and because we don't want more of them to happen. If we don't talk about the problematically loose restrictions after tragedies like this, they fall into the wayside and never get discussed at all.

Besides, if we wait to discuss stuff like this until there's been a period of calm, then we'll literally NEVER discuss it. It's February 14th and there's ALREADY been 18 school shootings this year

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I think that arming the school faculty would be a bigger help to deter or defend against such shootings.
So... just curious, but what happens when school faculty shoots someone?

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Banning guns isn't going to solve it, stricter regulations, background checks, is what has to be done; the gun laws are too loose here. Too bad the perp wasn't shot in the balls, preventing him from ever having troglodytic subhumans like himself.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended