Homebrew About to buy New 3DS XL Hyrule Edition. Will I be able to downgrade?

Damon_girl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong forum but I'm curious as to what firmware these limited edition 3DSes come with. I know it won't be on the latest firmware obviously but is it safe to downgrade? I heard that many people got soft bricks even if they do everything right and I'm hoping that has now changed.

rileysrjay

Connoisseur of all things Morshu
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty safe. You should be fine as long as you follow one of the guides, like plailects:

https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Part-1-(Homebrew)

Follow parts one and two and you will be fine. The only times I've seen a brick is when someone closed their system while downgrading, or something stupid like it.

Last edited by rileysrjay,

Catastrophic

Perfectly Normal
Trophies
XP
Country
11.0 came out not long ago so a new system should be downgradable without a hardmod. I bought a PAL Hyrule n3ds xl the other day and it came with system version 10.3.

Drakia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hardmod it, make a backup and be worry free.
Do not do this. Go through Plai's guide, and if you end up with a brick, walk back into the store and exchange it as defective. The minute you open the console, not only is your Nintendo warranty void but no store in their right mind will take it back for an exchange.

Reactions: Wilsonec

vb_encryption_vb

That hardmod guy....
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do not do this. Go through Plai's guide, and if you end up with a brick, walk back into the store and exchange it as defective. The minute you open the console, not only is your Nintendo warranty void but no store in their right mind will take it back for an exchange.

Anyone with morals wouldn't take it back to the store, anyone with morals would understand that it is THEIR responsibility if THEY mess up. The store / Nintendo, should not have to deal with a console that you broke while trying to pirate games anyhow.

Halvorsen

Trophies
Website
halcove.com
XP
Country
United States
Anyone with morals wouldn't take it back to the store, anyone with morals would understand that it is THEIR responsibility if THEY mess up. The store / Nintendo, should not have to deal with a console that you broke while trying to pirate games anyhow.
>morals
>pirating

Drakia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
> morals
Question, do you pre-install the homebrew required to play pirated games along with your console mod service?

As for the morality of returning the 3DS if they brick it. It will get shipped back to Nintendo, Nintendo will reflash it, repackage it, and resell it. The net loss is almost nothing (And is nothing for the store, they get a full refund due to it being a "manufacturing defect"). The person could very well just say that the battery died during an upgrade, it has the same end result, the firmware is screwed.

yacepi15

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
> morals
Question, do you pre-install the homebrew required to play pirated games along with your console mod service?

As for the morality of returning the 3DS if they brick it. It will get shipped back to Nintendo, Nintendo will reflash it, repackage it, and resell it. The net loss is almost nothing (And is nothing for the store, they get a full refund due to it being a "manufacturing defect"). The person could very well just say that the battery died during an upgrade, it has the same end result, the firmware is screwed.
When it is on Nintendo hands doesnt matter,but im sure that during the reflash process they watch that 9.2 titles...

yacepi15

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
By the time it's in Nintendo's hands they have no clue who it was bought/returned by :)
Nor do they really care or have time to individually check.
> morals

I know that,but the thing i want to say is that the end result isnt the same.

Damon_girl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, thanks for your help. :) I'm no stranger to downgrading as I've downgraded my Pikachu 3DS XL but that was back when I didn't have to worry about a soft brick since I was already on the recent firmware and could update without worry, but now I'm super nervous about it lol.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.