Hacking About to buy a Wii in hopes of softmodding; had some questions.

Alacres

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey everyone, I've finally decided to get a Wii with the intention of setting it up to play Gamecube games, virtual Wii games, and backups, but as I've never messed with Wii "hacking" before, I'm still a bit in the dark. I found the great guide in the tutorials section that shows a step-by-step on setting up a HBC and all that stuff, but I still had a few things I wanted to ask about:
  • Firstly, back when I initially found out about the possibility of hacking a Wii (it's been awhile), I remember reading that a certain exploitable game was needed (Lego Batman was one of them I believe) in order to get it working -- or at least I think I did. Since it's not mentioned in the guide, does that mean it's not necessary anymore?
  • I was also wondering if there was a particular, recommended Wii console that I should buy or if it doesn't matter? I was planning on just going with the classic white pre-owned they sell at gamestop for like 80 bucks.
  • Lastly, if there's anything else that a noob modder should know to make this process smoother (like helpful, must-have programs or apps I should get, things I shouldn't do, etc) I'd really appreciate the advice. Or if there's anything special I should buy while I'm out getting the system itself (already planning to get a Gamecube controller), please let me know. Hoping to pick one up tonight.

I've probably got more questions, but that's all I can think of at the moment. Thanks in advance for any information!

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Better late than never, eh?

1: there are two (independently developed, or so they say) exploits that use the Wii Mail archive feature, so you don't need any DVDs! This is true for the latest and most likely final firmware...

2: older is better (look at the timeline: original, fixed boot1, "LU64", D3-2 aka D4 drive with no DVD-R support at all, horizontal model without GC ports, wiimotes with integrated gyros, Wii mini (last two cases are unhackable by coincidence!))

3: there's a wind0ws only tool called ModMii that's basically an interactive tutorial, putting the right files on the SD for you!

Reactions: ddetkowski

Kumadoken

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
GameCube controller is a must! Make you get the homebrew browser and also get a usb hard disk for all yr backup games

mexiken

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To piggy back to this,

I bought a Wii back in 2006 (LU) model on Launch Day, and it finally gave out last year.

I want to replace it with one that can still be modded (soft modded is fine) what are ideal models to look for?? Serial number, system version, etc.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

TehCupcakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To piggy back to this,

I bought a Wii back in 2006 (LU) model on Launch Day, and it finally gave out last year.

I want to replace it with one that can still be modded (soft modded is fine) what are ideal models to look for?? Serial number, system version, etc.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Wii mini is out of the question. Assuming you want gamecube ports so you can use official gamecube controllers, you'll want one of the older models. (RVL-001)
http://en-americas-support.nintendo...ifference-between-the-models-of-wii-consoles?

Also...
http://gbatemp.net/threads/noob-paradise-ask-away.131884/
The 4 links in the first post have a huuuge amount of information and should tell you pretty much anything you need to know.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9p0iK877W4