SLiV3R

3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206
OP
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
I read that some of the greatest developers at gbatemp dislike the situation in the 3ds homebrew & emulators section. The "real" threads go down to second page in less than one hour. And there are 100s of threads about downgrading, cfw, hacks etc. Most of those stuff should really be in the cfw & flashcart section imo.

Personally I want to read about new homebrew and/or emulators in that forum. And I dont want to browse through 100+ of cfw threads.

What can be done with this problem? Or should something be done with all those"spam" threads?

Alex658

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Hi, long time lurker here...

I'm here almost everyday lurking threads, i do have an account but i'm mostly here to inform myself of all the hombrew, cfw, releases and 3ds discussions in general. Thus, i see almost no need in posting if it's already been answered.

I figured, how about requring a certain number of postcounts before being able to start a thread? Most n00bs are kids that are lazy to search for answers before blatantly ordering you to give it to them on a silver plate.

What i'm saying is, if you that post count on let's say 100 posts, the person would have to stuck long enough to search for answers (or reply in an already existing topic) so while old threads would get kind of more spam (and that happens anyway) the rest of GBATemp would be cleaner after itself.

What do you think?

Reactions: SLiV3R and VinsCool
D

Deleted User

I'm here almost everyday lurking threads, i do have an account but i'm mostly here to inform myself of all the hombrew, cfw, releases and 3ds discussions in general. Thus, i see almost no need in posting if it's already been answered.

I figured, how about requring a certain number of postcounts before being able to start a thread? Most n00bs are kids that are lazy to search for answers before blatantly ordering you to give it to them on a silver plate.

What i'm saying is, if you that post count on let's say 100 posts, the person would have to stuck long enough to search for answers (or reply in an already existing topic) so while old threads would get kind of more spam (and that happens anyway) the rest of GBATemp would be cleaner after itself.

What do you think?
Maybe 50 posts would be better?

Reactions: Attacker3
D

Deleted User

How has the 3DS forum been lately? I've been too busy WiiU-ing to notice the 3DS section. :D

SLiV3R

OP
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country

What do you think?

I would say both yes and no to this. Yes. Because as you described, we would get rid of 100s of spam threads.

No. Because there are actually some very talented developers that only has like 10-50 post. But it is atleast an idea. Something similar could perhaps be made.

They have that posting system over at Vgchartz. It's both good and bad...

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I just wanted to say another thank you to the moderators for helping to clean up the 3DS HB Development section. There are still some threads to be moved (probably because they're not reported), but I'll keep on reporting 'em as I see 'em.

SLiV3R

OP
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
I just wanted to say another thank you to the moderators for helping to clean up the 3DS HB Development section. There are still some threads to be moved (probably because they're not reported), but I'll keep on reporting 'em as I see 'em.

Haha. I was just posting the same thing! Thank you, the moderator, very much for cleaning up so nice! :)

There are 8 unrelated threads in the first page that has been moved away. Now I can finally breath again :)

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
We used to have this section of the site called Ask GBAtemp. Small questions went there and really cleaned up both threads and subforums. There was some kind of karma system that really worked for encouraging people to respond helpfully. It was also great for searching when you were sure someone else has had the same problem as you.

It was eliminated in on of the site redesigns. Since then there has been an emphasis on removing helpful parts of the site like releases and the cheat section, and more of a focus on maing the default front page layout increasingly terrible.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
We used to have this section of the site called Ask GBAtemp. Small questions went there and really cleaned up both threads and subforums. There was some kind of karma system that really worked for encouraging people to respond helpfully. It was also great for searching when you were sure someone else has had the same problem as you.

It was eliminated in on of the site redesigns. Since then there has been an emphasis on removing helpful parts of the site like releases and the cheat section, and more of a focus on maing the default front page layout increasingly terrible.
ASK GBATEMP made a comeback, and is pretty much used as well since v5 though.

Reactions: SLiV3R

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
ASK GBATEMP made a comeback, and is pretty much used as well since v5 though.
Haha shit you're right. It could be more prominently featured or mods could move threads there. I'll do my part to link folks there.

A higher bar of entry could keep posting quality up. Think Sonic Retro where you have to pass a test (to show your knowledgeable about the subject or capable of googling. Or Something Awful's paywall for new registrations, not that I'd advocate a paywall here.

Reactions: SLiV3R and VinsCool

SLiV3R

OP
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
Haha shit you're right. It could be more prominently featured or mods could move threads there. I'll do my part to link folks there.

A higher bar of entry could keep posting quality up. Think Sonic Retro where you have to pass a test (to show your knowledgeable about the subject or capable of googling. Or Something Awful's paywall for new registrations, not that I'd advocate a paywall here.

If we help each other and report all these threads in a couple of days/weeks. Perhaps all newbies will learn. Then the most alert problem will be permanently fixed :)

SLiV3R

OP
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
It's been two months since this thread started. The situation is still very, very bad. I understand that this is a difficult situation for the moderators. There is probably no easy solution for this deep infection.

One suggestion would be to create a [Post your question here] sticky. And remove ALL threads with questions or help me on topic. That would hopefully clean up rather much!

Please? :)

pbanj

The "friendly" neighborhood sandwich
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
maybe they could make it so there is a 3ds help section so people can post there for help. they could also make it so you have to be approved to start a thread in the homebrew section. that way homebrew devs can post stuff and it doesnt get clogged up with people posting threads looking for help. i think people get confused as there isnt a clear place to post for help so they just post where they think it goes.

pbanj

The "friendly" neighborhood sandwich
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would be heavily opposed to a reputation system. Never seen one work well.
ya if its a normal thanks type system that doesnt go towards anything, those go fine but the moment it can be used to hurt a user it gets abused.

----------------------------------
the section is really lacking in the sub forum department. look at say xda each phone has a general chat(offtopic area), a help/Q+A/troubleshooting section, then the sections for releasing stuff. sure a random user may post in the wrong section from time to time but its nothing like it is here. i think adding at least the help section and putting a sticky at the top of the other section that if the user needs help to post in the help section would cut down on people posting in the wrong sections. it would also help de-clutter the other sections so people can find what they are looking for. if the mods needed help moving everything i could lend a hand, i use to mod ps3hax(i stepped down), and was an admin on tortuga-cove(before a hard drive crash wiped it out). but something does need to be done as the entire 3ds section is a mess

Touko White

(not)Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Perhaps you have to search the forum for what you're looking for, and then you have to say if the post helped you or not before you make a new thread Or something like that.

Rinnegatamante

Trophies
Website
rinnegatamante.it
XP
Country
Italy
Solutions are four:

1. "Good" solution: New subforum for general help.
  2. "Racial" solution: Threads can be opened only by users in a particular usergroup (Developers) instantly and normal users must wait an approvation by moderators.
  3. "Bye-bye devs" solution: Rename the "Homebrew Development & Emulators" section in "General Help" section so devs can finally move to wololo.net for their releases.
  4. "Braindead" solution: Don't do anything.

I personally think both solution #1 and #2 are pretty good solutions.

Last edited by Rinnegatamante,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end