about DS2DS

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by psycoblaster, Apr 14, 2008.

Apr 14, 2008

about DS2DS by psycoblaster at 2:14 PM (4,646 Views / 0 Likes) 11 Comments

psycoblaster Divine

Message Count:
    Korea, South
    OK, i've been watching this for a while, and i think gbatemp didn't notice (or they did but didn't post it)
    DS2DS v2 came out a while ago, (2 days after version 1) where now it has a file explorer...
    but does v2 still only support wifi?
    I have 2 ds phats, and 1 r4 and 1 multipack
    (here in korea, multipack tends to sell more than r4, but i believe multipack does not have dldi support... so i can't test this myself...)

the bolded part which i don't understand says something about Adhoc, and i do not know if that says it now supports adhoc mode, or it uses something similar to adhoc, and i don't see anything about wifi ... if anybody is there to test this... and while looking at it, i made a simple translation (which only took about 10 min........)
    so here is the ips patch... (if you want it)
    http://www.mediafire.com/?2s03ugnyejx
    and screens
    [IMG]
    All text are translated in both recieving/sending menu, but because i'm using an emulator, i can't "choose" a file so it doesn't say the other translated text... so just try for yourself

the wifi version's transfer rate was about 3 minutes a megabyte, so i thought this was useful for use with text files, save files, and small homebrews. But i can't try this version, so i want the other people to test it out...

PBC What!? I can change this??

Message Count:
    United States
    Haven't had time to try this myself but I searched through another DS forum (I feel dirty admiting it) and I think people are having success with DS 2 DS transfers, ADHOC (I assume) on this program.

I don't mean to steal the guys hardwork but I'll repost his benchmark data here.

"The hard facts are: it's about 3 minutes per megabyte transferred.

So:
    8MB: 24 minutes
    16MB: 48 minutes
    32MB: 96 minutes
    64MB: 192 minutes"

psycoblaster Divine

Message Count:
    Korea, South
    I saw that post too, but i am not sure if that was the wifi, and i still do not know for sure if this can be used without wifi. And because of that, the 3min per megabyte, i'm not sure if it is the wifi time, or if there is adhoc, the adhoc time it takes.

pasc GBATemps official GBA Freak

Message Count:
    Germany
    it uses adhoc, I'm testing it right now

da_head A dying dream..

Message Count:
    Canada
    does that mean we can send ds to ds WITHOUT using wifi? aka anywhere? i don't no wat adhoc means :S

pasc GBATemps official GBA Freak

Message Count:
    Germany
    yep, you can send from ds to ds without wifi... though they have to be near each other, just like the handys bluetooth connection.

Pyrofyr New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    ADHOC if I'm correct, is what previous Game Boy games used for multiplayer, before WiFi was bothered with for DS. In other words, it's a mode wherein you have to be close to the other person in order to do it.

psycoblaster Divine

Message Count:
    Korea, South
    that's nice [IMG] thanks pasc. and by the way, if possible, can you try sending a file about 1 mb to another DS and see how long it takes (for speed)? Thanks in advance.
    Is it about the same as the WIFI?
    and about the reciever, where does the file end up? in the root directory? or do they choose themselves??

TSPhoenix New Member

Message Count:
    Australia
    So what exactly does this do.

Am I right in saying that its a program that two flashcart owners can run on their DS to send each other files? So I'd be able to send savegames or demos to friends with a reasonable timeframe with it?

psycoblaster Divine

Message Count:
    Korea, South
    DS2DS is a program that can send a file via Adhoc. (2 DS close by)
    Version 1, which sent files by WIFI's speed was 3 min per MB, which was enough to send savefiles.
    This version though, is NOT WIFI, so i'm expecting maybe a slight speed improvement. I don't know what directory the reciever recieves their file, and I do not know what happens if a file is sent with the same name of an existing file.
    I do not know things for sure, because I only have an R4 and 2 multipacks, which I do not know how to DLDI patch for homebrew for it.

TSPhoenix New Member

Message Count:
    Australia
    An R4 on the latest firmware version will automatically DLDI patch homebrew so you don't need to do anything except run it.

psycoblaster Divine

Message Count:
    Korea, South
    i'm not talking about my R4, i'm talking about the multipack.