Hacking a9lh weird screen flickering

GothicIII

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hello,

Since I installed a9lh, sometimes I have screen issues. For example if I boot up godmode9 with a boot manager and afterwards reboot the 3ds into its firmware (doesn't matter emu/sysnand) I can still read the file names from the output of godmode9 on the left side of the bottom screen (its a ghost-like image; semi-translucent)!
It's like the framebuffer is not cleared on reboot properly. Many restarts did fix this and it only happened to the touch screen and only in home-menu.

Now I upgraded to a9lhv2 and I'm booting gw. It worked great until the gw-menu crashed while loading emunand (shit messy code of them is causing it 1 of 20 boots). After that my Top-Screen started to flicker on the left side. Whats worse it also is flickering ingame :(
Its not getting better after many restarts like it worked on a9lhv1. I want to know whats causing this issue since on v1 it happened with nearly all homebrew I used to boot and across all a9lh implementations/forks I knew so far.

I made a high fps video (MOV-Format) to show the effect. Its better played at 0.25 speed to see the issue.
http://www.megafileupload.com/o0k0/Flickering_a9lh_Screen.rar

If someone has a solution for this shit I'm glad to hear it. Its impossible to play with this unit until I want a bad headache after 5 mins.

EDIT: This flickering appears only when booting into 3ds firmware and no it doesnt matter which cfw I load. All have the same issue (Cakes/Luma/GW)

Last edited by GothicIII,
Reactions: Quantumcat

Zan'

2F88744FEED717856386400A44BBA4B9CA62E76A32C715D4F
Trophies
XP
Country
I know when you launch Decrypt9 and thede things from A9LH and then shutdown the system from there it will not properly turn the screen black and you'll stil be able to read the text from before dven though the system is shutdown. Seems to be a problem with these tools to not clean the screen before shutting down.
For me turning on the system and properly shutting it down (from home menu) fixes it.
But it also wears off over time.
Display thing.

But I haven't seen screen flickers or any problems like that. Are you sure it's nor something with your Hardware?

@d0k3 any ideas what could cause this?

GothicIII

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I know when you launch Decrypt9 and thede things from A9LH and then shutdown the system from there it will not properly turn the screen black and you'll stil be able to read the text from before dven though the system is shutdown. Seems to be a problem with these tools to not clean the screen before shutting down.
For me turning on the system and properly shutting it down (from home menu) fixes it.
Display thing.

But I haven't seen screen flickers or any problems like that. Are you sure it's nor something with your Hardware?

I'm very sure. This flicker comes from the past grey screen (where it says hold power to shutdown the system) and it overlaps the current screen. This causes it to flicker. I know that because I compared those screens with a 2nd device and the corners were brighter than usual.
I don't know how it is possible that this flickering state is hold even when the system is powerless. But maybe I would have to wait a hour or so. Maybe it's kind of a ram issue, which is not cleaned on reboot properly.

It's pretty hard to reproduce the problem maybe that's the reason why it didn't get public attention. But I read on Reddit from such cases a while ago. For me it's currently only happening while Booting GW and it hangs on black screen. And it happens not all the time.

Last edited by GothicIII,

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm very sure. This flicker comes from the past grey screen (where it says hold power to shutdown the system) and it overlaps the current screen. This causes it to flicker. I know that because I compared those screens with a 2nd device and the corners were brighter than usual.
I don't know how it is possible that this flickering state is hold even when the system is powerless. But maybe I would have to wait a hour or so. Maybe it's kind of a ram issue, which is not cleaned on reboot properly.

It's pretty hard to reproduce the problem maybe that's the reason why it didn't get public attention. But I read on Reddit from such cases a while ago. For me it's currently only happening while Booting GW and it hangs on black screen. And it happens not all the time.
Incoming "It's because you are using Gateway" comments.

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Display thing.

So, I've been summoned? In fact, none of my tools do clear the framebuffer, because that is not required. Clearing it would not help you. The 3DS FW uses a framebuffer different from all those ARM9 homebrews. Something is strange with your hardware, I guess, because that does not sound like a software issue.

As a (perhaps useful) tidbit of info - it does in fact take some time for the 3DS FCRAM (the memory where the homebrew framebuffer resides) to clear, even with a shutdown. Things you can try include restoring a previous NAND backup (just for test, make a backup of the current state before) or updating / switching your CFW. EDIT: Also try without a boot manager (= Luma only), just to make sure.

Last edited by d0k3,
Reactions: Zan'

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
    AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78: Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit...