Hacking [A9lh] Can I stop update data from applying to PKMN Alpha Sapphire romhack?

InfiniRien

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've been searching for a few days and haven't been able to find very clear answers to this question, so I thought I'd ask here.

I run A9LH+Luma3DS and set it up with Plailect's bible, and I'm on the latest firmware update so that I can wi-fi battle with a few friends over Pokemon Alpha Sapphire/Omega Ruby. Problem is, I also like running romhacks of the 6th gen games, but in order for them to work properly the 1.4 update needs to be removed from the system to prevent 3DS Logo loops. However, because the modified .cia believes it is Pokemon Alpha Sapphire and not another, modified game, it automatically updates if the 1.4 update data is on my 3DS.

Is it possible in any way for me to modify my .cia such that it won't be updated if there is update data on the system, while still allowing me to have my updated cartridge to do online things with? Apart from romhacking and setting up A9LH, I don't have much experience with the more technical side of my 3DS.

If not, that's fine. It'd just be cool to not have to re-download the Alpha Sapphire update every time I want to load up my cartridge and play my non-modified game. Thanks to anyone that has any ideas.

Barawer

Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
I have a question, is it a must for you to play on AS romhacks instead of OR? that would be the easiest solution in my opinion

dradonhunter11

French o-MEGA modder
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have a question, is it a must for you to play on AS romhacks instead of OR? that would be the easiest solution in my opinion
Well, if you want to do legendary model swap on OR, you can't swap Primal Groudon model at all or the game will crash with the classic error message: an error has occured, please shutdown console. But if it only randomizer, I agree with you, y not playing on OR?
and also, I run my romhack on custom update cia and it work online :)

Last edited by dradonhunter11,

Barawer

Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
Well, if you want to do legendary model swap on OR, you can't swap Primal Groudon model at all or the game will crash with the classic error message: an error has occured, please shutdown console. But if it only randomizer, I agree with you, y not playing on OR?
and also, I run my romhack on custom update cia and it work online :)

I actually don't know anything about Pokemon rom hacks. just figured it would be easy :P seems like you have the required knowledge, so i will follow up on this thread :)

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
I've been searching for a few days and haven't been able to find very clear answers to this question, so I thought I'd ask here.

I run A9LH+Luma3DS and set it up with Plailect's bible, and I'm on the latest firmware update so that I can wi-fi battle with a few friends over Pokemon Alpha Sapphire/Omega Ruby. Problem is, I also like running romhacks of the 6th gen games, but in order for them to work properly the 1.4 update needs to be removed from the system to prevent 3DS Logo loops. However, because the modified .cia believes it is Pokemon Alpha Sapphire and not another, modified game, it automatically updates if the 1.4 update data is on my 3DS.

Is it possible in any way for me to modify my .cia such that it won't be updated if there is update data on the system, while still allowing me to have my updated cartridge to do online things with? Apart from romhacking and setting up A9LH, I don't have much experience with the more technical side of my 3DS.

If not, that's fine. It'd just be cool to not have to re-download the Alpha Sapphire update every time I want to load up my cartridge and play my non-modified game. Thanks to anyone that has any ideas.
Wouldn't 2 SD cards fix this? One with your legitimate Alpha Sapphire + update installed on it and one with the ROM hack.

dradonhunter11

French o-MEGA modder
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wouldn't 2 SD cards fix this? One with your legitimate Alpha Sapphire + update installed on it and one with the ROM hack.
Well, Would be useless XD Just get NTR CFW for that and run it when you want to run rom hack :)
I use NTR LayeredFS alway on my OR CIA but never on my OR cartridge :) (tough I can corrupt massively my save, because why not).

@Barawer Indeed, I have lot of knowledge in pokemon rom hacking :) I even have my own and unique main character :)
iKiv7P6.png
@InfiniRien tell me what you want to do and I'll help :) Again if it only update problem, then you have 2 way, NTR or modify the update. Modifying update will apply to both game tough, cia and cartridge

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
the only title that we need to modify are in ExHeader I believe, because it there
Nope, 2 copies in exheader, and 2 in regular header are what identify a title!
Then in exheader+icon are all sorts of extra saves, extdata, etc identifiers, those are not required to be changed

InfiniRien

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for all the replies! I had to get some rest last night, so I'll answer questions in order now.

It is the easiest solution but I'm afraid I use my Omega Ruby, Alpha Sapphire, X and Y cartridges to house different breeding collections and such. I'd just have the same problem if I switched to one of those.
You could change the titleid for the base (hacked) cia!
This is exactly what I want to do, but I've got no idea how. Haven't done much hex editing so far in my 3DS experience.
There's no reason why it should...
Maybe you forgot to change all 4 copies of the titleid (and, optionally, of the extdata, streetpass, online...)?
@InfiniRien tell me what you want to do and I'll help :) Again if it only update problem, then you have 2 way, NTR or modify the update. Modifying update will apply to both game tough, cia and cartridge
I'm basically just wondering if it's possible to either change the ID of the .cia so that it doesn't think it needs an update like @Ryccardo suggested. If that's impossible, then I might as well just finish off this randomizer and apply the update again. Might just end up reorganising Omega Ruby so that it's not used for anything with my breeding.

dradonhunter11

French o-MEGA modder
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for all the replies! I had to get some rest last night, so I'll answer questions in order now.

It is the easiest solution but I'm afraid I use my Omega Ruby, Alpha Sapphire, X and Y cartridges to house different breeding collections and such. I'd just have the same problem if I switched to one of those.

This is exactly what I want to do, but I've got no idea how. Haven't done much hex editing so far in my 3DS experience.

I'm basically just wondering if it's possible to either change the ID of the .cia so that it doesn't think it needs an update like @Ryccardo suggested. If that's impossible, then I might as well just finish off this randomizer and apply the update again. Might just end up reorganising Omega Ruby so that it's not used for anything with my breeding.
I think NTR could be better for you, because you can enable it when you want and it compatible with latest update (and don't need to say that you don't to compile romfs and everything to get it working :) )

InfiniRien

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

dradonhunter11

French o-MEGA modder
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm afraid I haven't really dabbled with NTR. Is it https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-ntr-cfw-3-2-with-experimental-real-time-save-feature.385142/ this?

Sorry for the noobishness. Learning A9LH and Pokemon modding kinda made my brain fuzzy.
NTR is easy :) Well, if you have question about pokemon modding, just join the discord chat, I'll be happy to answer ;) Installing NTR take literally 2 sec and I can give you the plugin for that :)
The only thing you need to know is wich garc you modified and title id

InfiniRien

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
NTR is easy :) Well, if you have question about pokemon modding, just join the discord chat, I'll be happy to answer ;) Installing NTR take literally 2 sec and I can give you the plugin for that :)
The only thing you need to know is wich garc you modified and title id
Thank you! When I'm on my desktop I'll join the Discord.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://youtu.be/ngNaUaQOfPU