Status
Not open for further replies.

"A Year of Legendary Pokémon" announced

legendary-campaign-169-en.jpg

"2018 Will Be Legendary!"
Recently, The Pokémon Company put up an announcement on their website [prebreak]1[/prebreak](which when clicked redirects to another website), announcing the "Year of Legendary Pokémon". It is supposedly going to be a yearlong event that includes Legendary Pokémon Distributions, activities, and more!
This event will be spread across all of The Pokémon Company's currently supported media and games.
  • Handheld games: monthly legendary distributions at select partners
  • Trading cards: new sets focused on Legendary Pokémon in 2018
  • Mobile Games: Shuffle will have Dialga / Palkia stages, GO will have promotions
  • TV: monthly movies featuring legendaries on the Pokémon TV app
For the monthly Legendary Pokémon Distribution, this is the current schedule:
  • February – Dialga or Palkia in GAME in the UK & Gamestop in the US
  • March – Regigigas or Heatran
  • April – Raikou or Entei
  • May – Xerneas or Yveltal
  • June – Shiny Zygarde
  • July – Tornadus or Thundurus
  • August – Kyogre or Groudon
  • September – Latios or Latias
  • October – Reshiram or Zekrom
  • November – Ho-Oh or Lugia
It is to be noted that in the artwork at the top of this post, there are no Mythical Pokémon or either of the Mews to be seen.

:arrow:Source
(It's worth noting that the link at the bottom of my source goes to the British site. If you live in the US, you'll want to go to https://www.pokemonlegendary.com/en-us/.)

Last edited by PrincessLillie,

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Basically this is a shiny Zygarde and a whole bunch of Pokémon that have been special until they got thrown at you in every endgame.

The actually rare Legendaries like Mew, Celebi and Arceus haven't even been mentioned in the announcement.
Btw, what's kinda worse is something I noticed in the announcement... They are supposedly intended for battle so they may very likely be nature-locked like the shiny Tapu Koko, which would be extremely annoying!

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Which distribution are you all looking forward to most? For me, it's the Shiny Zygarde.
View attachment 111527
Anyone else think it looks a bit like toothpaste?
None really, but I wouldn't mind a competitive Raikou or Entei, so I guess those...

PS: Now that you mention it, it kinda... nope, it doesn't:P

Reactions: PrincessLillie

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I have to say, I sincerely hate Pokemon distributions. They put Pokemon in their games, but you can't catch them or get them from other players, you must necessarily jump through hoops. When companies use on-disc DLC, it always leads to an uproar, but when Nintendo does essentially the same thing and requires people to visit "partner stores" to get the damn Pokemon they want, it's perfectly fine. You might think that it's okay because the distributions are free, but that would make you ignorant of human psychology - all events of this nature are retail-oriented and exist in hopes of people buying merchandise - they might as well, they're already in the store, they're through the front door. It's a little bit insidious, really - I'm not sure if that's the motivation, but that's the real life effect. I suppose it builds brand loyalty and keeps it in the public eye, but I personally just see it as holding customers hostage.

Reactions: Ryccardo and ThoD

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I doubt they won't be shiny locked, which means this won't be an all out replacement for Ultra Wormhole RNGing, which to me is a hassle. The Zygarde therefore is the most exciting thing to look forward to. It would be interesting if this is a teaser for VGC2019, where the mascot legends are included, like VGC16, which I missed a lot of. They could promote for VGC19 that you can use these very event mons.

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
OP
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
I have to say, I sincerely hate Pokemon distributions. They put Pokemon in their games, but you can't catch them or get them from other players, you must necessarily jump through hoops. When companies use on-disc DLC, it always leads to an uproar, but when Nintendo does essentially the same thing and requires people to visit "partner stores" to get the damn Pokemon they want, it's perfectly fine. You might think that it's okay because the distributions are free, but that would make you ignorant of human psychology - all events of this nature are retail-oriented and exist in hopes of people buying merchandise - they might as well, they're already in the store, they're through the front door. It's a little bit insidious, really - I'm not sure if that's the motivation, but that's the real life effect. I suppose it builds brand loyalty and keeps it in the public eye, but I personally just see it as holding customers hostage.
Woah, nice mini-rant.

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have to say, I sincerely hate Pokemon distributions. They put Pokemon in their games, but you can't catch them or get them from other players, you must necessarily jump through hoops.

The differences though, these are pokemon obtainable within the games, they will just be given to people without access to the opposite game's version exclusive. So Ultra Moon players will be able to get Xerneas if they can't be arsed to buy both UM and US (I always buy both versions of a pokemon game) or do GTS and other trading. Also, people grab hands full of code cards and they float around the internet. Case in point, I currently have 5 NA Marshadow codes, 1 Shiny Silvaly, 4 Charizard ones. Granted they were gifted for me due to fulfilling requests, but there is r/Pokemongiveaway, other places, Twitter, where people give away the codes. So it's very different from on-disc DLC.

Now if we're talking mythicals, that's a bit different. I'll admit those are very restrictive, but again, I have a bunch of Marshadow codes. I'm speaking as someone who doesn't go to those places, with wide distribution from people with a bunch of code cards, it's almost not necessary, you just have to wait more. Also, this is a forum with a lot of hacking stuff, I don't even need codes, just get the wondercard when it's dumped and inject that into the games. That's what I did recently for current Japanese only events.

Defending that kind of distribution, but admitting that a more open distribution is much better. Similar to Diancie, Japanese exclusive in Summer 2014, hit the code circuit in Fall 2014, I think in Fall 2015, out of the blue they just distributed it openly on the internet. Or hell, why aren't they doing more QR code events? Magearna right at the release of SM. Zeraora will be the same, Summer distribution for Japan, Fall distribution everywhere else.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The differences though, these are pokemon obtainable within the games, they will just be given to people without access to the opposite game's version exclusive. So Ultra Moon players will be able to get Xerneas if they can't be arsed to buy both UM and US (I always buy both versions of a pokemon game) or do GTS and other trading. Also, people grab hands full of code cards and they float around the internet. Case in point, I currently have 5 NA Marshadow codes, 1 Shiny Silvaly, 4 Charizard ones. Granted they were gifted for me due to fulfilling requests, but there is r/Pokemongiveaway, other places, Twitter, where people give away the codes. So it's very different from on-disc DLC.

Now if we're talking mythicals, that's a bit different. I'll admit those are very restrictive, but again, I have a bunch of Marshadow codes. I'm speaking as someone who doesn't go to those places, with wide distribution from people with a bunch of code cards, it's almost not necessary, you just have to wait more. Also, this is a forum with a lot of hacking stuff, I don't even need codes, just get the wondercard when it's dumped and inject that into the games. That's what I did recently for current Japanese only events.

Defending that kind of distribution, but admitting that a more open distribution is much better. Similar to Diancie, Japanese exclusive in Summer 2014, hit the code circuit in Fall 2014, I think in Fall 2015, out of the blue they just distributed it openly on the internet. Or hell, why aren't they doing more QR code events? Magearna right at the release of SM. Zeraora will be the same, Summer distribution for Japan, Fall distribution everywhere else.
The versions division is the biggest scam in gaming history, there's no practical reason for releasing several versions of the same game with different Pokemon besides profit. They hope that suckers will buy both - I should know, as a child I did. My friend had Blue, I had Yellow and I ended up buying Red just to complete our Pokedexes.

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The versions division is the biggest scam in gaming history, there's no practical reason for releasing several versions of the same game with different Pokemon besides profit. They hope that suckers will buy both - I should know, as a child I did. My friend had Blue, I had Yellow and I ended up buying Red just to complete our Pokedexes.

Crying over spilled milk at this point, that's been going on since the beginning. It's a collecting thing to its very core, to get all the pokemon within one game devalues the original intention a bit, getting them between several games makes it more like a treasure hunt. Also space within cartridges back then, and now just limiting things to keep tradition, at the same time for the encounter rate. Hacks where all pokemon are available, you still will have a lifetime to get all the pokemon because of the encounter rates being modified to accompany that, a limited amount of encounter slots for each area and route. And I'm a collector of sorts, I have all the physical main series games from Gen 3 to Gen 7, plus the digital Gen 1 and 2 re-releases. I can, I have caught them all.

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
OP
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
Wow I can't wait! *looks at 3ds with cfw*.... wait can't I get all of these for free anyway?:rofl2:
Not unless someone dumps the Mystery Gift, and even then they're already free, you just have to get off of your ass.

Reactions: CallmeBerto

Xosei

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
myanimelist.net
XP
Country
United States
Am I missing something? Can't you just go through wormholes and do trades to get them? I don't know if I think this is pointless or I'm just missing something.

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been rng-ing and soft resetting for my shiny legendaries and am only missing like 2... one from Ultra sun and FUCKING ZYGARDE. Fuck all the others. They're just stupid plain ol' legendaries.

Sidenote. Can we splice this ZYGARDE up into puppy pup?

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
OP
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
I've been rng-ing and soft resetting for my shiny legendaries and am only missing like 2... one from Ultra sun and FUCKING ZYGARDE. Fuck all the others. They're just stupid plain ol' legendaries.

Sidenote. Can we splice this ZYGARDE up into puppy pup?
If my understanding is correct, seperating this Zygarde into cells takes away the Shiny.

Glyptofane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh god... So the events requiring a code can only be obtained on unbanned consoles, but the regular wifi events work fine either way. Every time my public seed gets banned, it seems more difficult to find a replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @AncientBoi I am really sorry for your loss +3