Hacking a suggestion that might be true about hacking (opinions)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radwan126

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
i have been thinking lately about methods to hack a vita ( i am not one to talk since i don't know anything about hacking and such , but please hear me out till the end )
----------------------------------
1- Use the eCFW to our advantage :
if running a eCFW on a vita is easy (like the TN-V) then why not take advantage of this exploit to go inside the vita's system and modify it ?
what i mean is , developing a homebrew for the PSP that can use this exploit to modify or edit something in the vita's system and installing it on the eCFW on the vita so that when its run on the vita through the eCFW it can modify the files and the system and installs something like a hack ( again i know this is stupid )
so its almost like this
:

a VITA with a eCFW

Run the homebrew that is originally for the vita (on the vita's eCFW of course) but used the PSP's firmware (the eCFW) as a "vessel"

The homebrew edits files and the "Core" firmware of the vita

Untitled.png

2-Reverse engineer the PSVUPDATE.PUP file :
ok this one was probably suggested and considered before , but let me explain :
if someone was able to open this file , it could lead us to the key of natively hacking the vita like what happened with the PSP's CFW .
i mean like this :

Unpacking the PSVUPDATE.PUP file

Modifying and applying the hacked files inside it (
or opening an exploit to use after installing the firmware)

Installing the firmware update on a vita with an old firmware

i don't think its a great idea but again , these are suggestions .
ok what do you guys think about these two methods ? impossible ? or already done ?
lets's hear your opinions​

Radwan126

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
why ? i don't think there is a reason , i said they are suggestions and opinions

Anunnymous

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everything you've suggested has been toyed with in one way or another. While in eCFW, there is zero access to the Vita side, none what-so-ever. This has been discussed numerous times. As for your update trick, this is semi-plausible, but do you realize what it takes to reverse engineer... And even if you did reverse the update file you'd still need some kind of access in the Vita so you know what you're re-writing the update to do.

Radwan126

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
Everything you've suggested has been toyed with in one way or another. While in eCFW, there is zero access to the Vita side, none what-so-ever. This has been discussed numerous times. As for your update trick, this is semi-plausible, but do you realize what it takes to reverse engineer... And even if you did reverse the update file you'd still need some kind of access in the Vita so you know what you're re-writing the update to do.

Aha , well i wasn't really sure of the first one and felt like i was spouting nonsense when writing it XD , the second method sounds more possible to me , has anyone ever tried it before ?
i realize it's really hard to reverse engineer something (especially the vita) but someone experianced might try it and it would hopefully give us something or two to look up to , just saying

yifan_lu

@yifanlu
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have said this before. Contrary to what is taught in American schools, not all opinions matter. For example, my opinion on brain surgery does not matter because I am not a neurologist. I'm not discouraging asking questions but I'm encouraging trying to find answers for yourself and only asking them as a last resort. I would waste a brain surgeon's time if I ask them "so, eh what are the parts of a brain?" because I could have done some research for myself and found the answer.

dragonmaster

Ancient One
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
while you have creative ideas as yifan lu said you are not able to give a proof of concept or anything like this, i imagine in a way the dark alex days are way pass and those that tinker know the way,perhaps when vita is long dead a full exploit may be released untill then i will laugh at sony and nervous updates

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Aha , well i wasn't really sure of the first one and felt like i was spouting nonsense when writing it XD , the second method sounds more possible to me , has anyone ever tried it before ?
i realize it's really hard to reverse engineer something (especially the vita) but someone experianced might try it and it would hopefully give us something or two to look up to , just saying
There's been a couple of people working on reverse engineering just the PSP's firmware (last I checked). Just the PSP's firmware has taken them over three years at this point. It's not as easy as it sounds.

I have never dug into a Vita, so I couldn't tell you how it handles backwards compatibility, but my guess is it runs it in specific mode or environment, cutting off access to Vita specific hardware. Probably similar to how vWii mode on the Wii U runs. People have thought of that stuff before, and something did come of that train of thought on the 3DS, but that's the exception rather than the rule.

The people that designed these consoles/handhelds aren't stupid, they know full well that backwards compatibility can lead to exploits, so they generally isolate the backwards compatibility mode/environment.

Reactions: CleanSweep
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended