Hardware A new product claims to add up to 12 hours to the switch battery life

9thSage

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It may have USB-C but it does not have PD, hence no 15v profile. It's max is 5v3a.
all I know is that it supplies enough power for me to play Zelda and charge it at the same time as I'm playing.

I've tried several other power banks that couldn't manage that.

Last edited by 9thSage,

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Erm... how does one dock it with this on? Do you really have to pop it off and put it back on every time you want to switch modes?

I mean, one could easily mod the dock, but it's not end-user friendly

Mr. Wizard

Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
5v3a is enough to charge in portable mode.
And play? The switch requires 8.9 watts minimum. It can only ever draw a max of 2 amps. 5v2a is 10 watts. That leaves just 1 watt for charging.

Afaik the switch only needs 15v in docked mode.
It is quite capable of using 15v2a in handheld mode.

This has all been covered in a multitude of threads.

While a 5v2a pack can "power" a Switch, it can hardly charge it compared to a 15v2a PD pack at 30 watts even though it only draws 18 watts..

You need at least 9v2a to match the 18 watts load and that's assuming it will draw the full 2 amps which I don't think it will.

Last edited by Mr. Wizard,

Mr. Wizard

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
all I know is that it supplies enough power for me to play Zelda and charge it at the same time as I'm playing.

I've tried several other power banks that couldn't manage that.
So you can honestly say that you have plugged the switch in with 20% left on the battery and it has charged to 100% even while you are playing a game like Zelda?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Erm... how does one dock it with this on? Do you really have to pop it off and put it back on every time you want to switch modes?

I mean, one could easily mod the dock, but it's not end-user friendly
You could always use a USB-C extension cable.

Last edited by Mr. Wizard,

ov3rkill

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I'm on the fence here since they don't actually have a prototype. All they've shown is a 3D printed case, 3D render of the concept product, no actual pcb, or battery. Or is this how indiegogo works. I haven't backed anything from kickstarter nor indiegogo. I don't even know the statistics on the failure rate of these backing programs. All my knowledge came from the mainstream media that there are failures in delivery or not meeting expectation which is not good unless they get a refund or something. But come on, this is more like investment or donation, so I'm guessing you won't get a refund(?) and just hope for the best.

jurai

Trophies
XP
Country
There is absolutely no way this is coming to market in August, and it has zero certifications for any related electrical matters, you 110% should not spend money on this

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I'm on the fence here since they don't actually have a prototype. All they've shown is a 3D printed case, 3D render of the concept product, no actual pcb, or battery. Or is this how indiegogo works. I haven't backed anything from kickstarter nor indiegogo. I don't even know the statistics on the failure rate of these backing programs. All my knowledge came from the mainstream media that there are failures in delivery or not meeting expectation which is not good unless they get a refund or something. But come on, this is more like investment or donation, so I'm guessing you won't get a refund(?) and just hope for the best.

Target date of August when zero Nintendo accessory partners who have had extended access to systems have released anything similar? Don't buy it

9thSage

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you can honestly say that you have plugged the switch in with 20% left on the battery and it has charged to 100% even while you are playing a game like Zelda?
Not from 20%, it was like 30%, but sure. It charged it up just fine even while playing. Honestly, why would I lie about it? lol

Last edited by 9thSage,

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If that second port was actually a micro HDMI instead of micro usb, then it would be worth the money to me. But I still won't back it because their estimated shipping date of August is far too optimistic, plus there isn't even a real prototype yet. And frankly their 12+ hours claim (or up to 12 hours, seriously even they don't seem to know which as both are used across the campaign page) are based on 30% screen brightness, which is pretty much too dim for most situations and is kinda deceiving without reading the fine print that states this

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Mr. Wizard

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Not from 20%, it was like 30%, but sure. It charged it up just fine even while playing. Honestly, why would I lie about it? lol
Fascinating...

ezgif-3-80dcba7e20.gif

9thSage

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fascinating...

ezgif-3-80dcba7e20.gif
Hey, it's what happened. I'm sorry if you mistrust me, I'm not going to make a video to prove it or anything like that though. Again, in all honesty, what on earth would I have to gain by making shit up about a power bank? :)

Last edited by 9thSage,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: it won't make it better or worse