goat
OP
Trophies
Website
dionicio3.com
XP
Country
United States
I really appreciate when you clean up threads, however, it's a bit annoying to see a thread filled with "This message has been deleted" all over a thread. So why not creat a random thread in the staff forum, and move messages to that thread when doing huge clean ups. I know this probably not that good of an idea, but hey, it's a Suggestion

Thanks for taking your time to read this

Last edited by Dionicio3, , Reason: Can't find the revert button XD
Reactions: Quantumcat

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We have two options available when deleting posts. Soft delete, and hard delete.

Soft delete results in the "This message has been removed" message you see. Yes, it does clutter up the thread a bit, but it gives us the nice ability to restore the post should it be determined that it was wrongfully deleted.

Hard delete, on the other hand, wipes it with no trace. In our logs we can see that post 123456 by <person> was hard deleted from <thread> but can't see what the post contents were, and it's unrestorable, outside of if there exists any backend magic that the admins can perform on the databases or anything.

The problem with moving them to a "deleted posts" hidden thread, is that if we need to move them back, we then can't tell where it came from :^)

Dionicio3

goat
OP
Trophies
Website
dionicio3.com
XP
Country
United States
We have two options available when deleting posts. Soft delete, and hard delete.

Soft delete results in the "This message has been removed" message you see. Yes, it does clutter up the thread a bit, but it gives us the nice ability to restore the post should it be determined that it was wrongfully deleted.

Hard delete, on the other hand, wipes it with no trace. In our logs we can see that post 123456 by <person> was hard deleted from <thread> but can't see what the post contents were, and it's unrestorable, outside of if there exists any backend magic that the admins can perform on the databases or anything.

The problem with moving them to a "deleted posts" hidden thread, is that if we need to move them back, we then can't tell where it came from :^)
Ah, ok, thanks for the info. I lean new things everyday

Reactions: Sicklyboy

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium

That's a shame, It would be nice to be able to have soft delete which still hides the message. Same with deleted threads really. But hey not the end of the world really.

Reactions: Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's a shame, It would be nice to be able to have soft delete which still hides the message. Same with deleted threads really. But hey not the end of the world really.

I strongly dislike all of the clutter it adds as well. For aesthetics I'd love to just hard delete everything but that's really not fair to people if it's determined the post shouldn't be deleted, or if we need to go back and see if someone was posting in an abusive manner and needs to be reprimanded.

Personally I think deleted posts AND deleted threads should only be visible to moderators, but I don't even know if that's something xenforo supports.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

something else to note is that if we hard delete a post there is no visual representation that a post was there. Logically it leaves a hole in the conversation that might not make sense if we make a mistake of if something references a post that we have removed permanently.

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
It can be done. Every bit of XenForo can be modified. But most people that use third party forum software do so because they aren't experienced enough with php themselves or can't be bothered. I'm sure alot of request are denied for either of those two reasons.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
It can be done. Every bit of XenForo can be modified. But most people that use third party forum software do so because they aren't experienced enough with php themselves or can't be bothered. I'm sure alot of request are denied for either of those two reasons.
I imagine @shaunj66 might be able to add this as an option if enough people wants an option like that since to my knowledge it should just be a matter of changing css to not display display the content.

Meanwhile - if someone uses Stylish they can use this quick little css hack I made to hide soft-deleted posts:
https://userstyles.org/styles/143350/gbatemp-net-hide-deleted-posts

Dionicio3

goat
OP
Trophies
Website
dionicio3.com
XP
Country
United States

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This seems like such a non issue that I'm not sure it warrants any change unless enough people demand it. I can appreciate some might find it irritating but I expect they're the minority. I could try making the removal message less visible when I get time.

evandixon

PMD Researcher
Developer
Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
Both vBulletin and IP.Board control the visibility of soft-deleted posts through permissions. I'm not as familiar with XenForo, but I'd be a little surprised if this wasn't a setting somewhere.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
"Hide deleted content" could be an option for regular members who just don't want to see any deleted content.

What I would think would look the absolute best is "if more than x amount of deleted content in a row, clump them together". Like a little box saying:

"Messages by <person1>, <person2>, <person3> and 5 more have been deleted. "

That way, it wouldn't look as cluttered, while there's still traces left so there won't be any holes in the discussions.

Last edited by Issac,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • A @ anotherthing:
    Online was free on the 3DS as well, and it worked well.
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I can't help but think nintendo switch online is the reason we did not get a gameboy/n64/gamecube
    mini classic edition
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, i think it would have been impossible to see anything in a gameboy mini
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    well I meant that as a figure of speech
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    they could just rerelease a modern gameboy
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    like the pocket analogue
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    but nintendo licensed
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    dammit that thread got moved from offtopic to edge, well since that happened
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, atleast it's still avaliable
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yes but it wasn't meant to be a comedy thread
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    and edge of the forum is mostly comedy and games
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    so I don't get why it got moved at all
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, mods are probably hating you
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    on most sites mods hated me, sooner or later, but usually over time I get either banned or the mods get used to me
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    sometimes to the point of thanking me for my quick actions etc against spam and other stuff, but yea...its either they come to respect me or outright hate me
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    If it's not game related, it will be moved to the Egde of the forum. Mods have moved a few of my threads also.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, it was in the off topic chat forum
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Well atleast they didn't delete it completely.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    hmm
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    uoiea
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    huh?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Aeiou backwards
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Aeiou backwards