8 Bitdo have Updated their controllers to work with the Switch

This is great news for those wanting to purchase a cheap controller but weren't able to. Well, now they can. The only problem is that the 8 Bitdo controllers are meant for NES/SNES games so not adequate to play games which require too many buttons (would work fine with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, for example).

1-switch-zelda-8bitdo-625x352.jpg

Source: Nintendo Everything

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
That's awesome that they're still supporting their controllers with new features. I have a NES30 Pro so this will come in handy.
I hope they updated the Wii Mode firmware with Switch support as well. I use the Wii support a lot.
Can't load their website to check, it's being insanely slow.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: Deleted User

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wanted to love the NES30 Pro but the bluetooth lag, as minuscule as it may be, made it impossible for me to enjoy retro gaming on it. Had to return it sadly.
Did you never try using it with a wire instead of Bluetooth?

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Wanted to love the NES30 Pro but the bluetooth lag, as minuscule as it may be, made it impossible for me to enjoy retro gaming on it. Had to return it sadly.
maybe it was just your device that you were playing on?
wii, ps3, ps4 etc use bluetooth controllers and i don't notice any lag with my devices

UltraDolphinRevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Seems like there are 2 shoulder buttons. Actually the original Classic Controller (Wii) looks similar but has 4 shoulder buttons (2 of them analogue). The placement is weird but actually not bad at all.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Seems like there are 2 shoulder buttons. Actually the original Classic Controller (Wii) looks similar but has 4 shoulder buttons (2 of them analogue). The placement is weird but actually not bad at all.
There are four shoulder buttons. L1, L2, R1 and R2. None of them are analogue though.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Especially gaming on a crt lag is noticeable for me on poor lag handling screens and controllers.

Although I messed up my crt a while back and I'm unsure how to fix it, I have vertical collapse. I messed it up trying to adjust the pots for screen geometry inside, and I accidentally hit the electronic gun with my screw driver, there was a flashing pop, then vertical collapse.

I have a sony pvm which are some of the the highest of high quality screens. Though these are a bit harder to track down then regular consumer crts.
I luckily got mines for free, I would like to fix it some day.

Last edited by SG854,

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't noticed any lag with any of my 8bitdo controllers. Tested on multiple devices.

At any rate this is nice of them to do, and probably will net them some nice sales as a result since buying new controllers for the Switch... So expensive.

Mansize

GBATemp Hardware
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Not bad. Have at least four of these. However, had to jump through annoying hoops to get them configured for my Retron5, wont likely be changing their config anytime soon.

nilly

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Their site is slow, and dont seem to work all that well. Here's a direct link to their download server http://download.8bitdo.com/Firmware/Controller/ .. If you liked this comment, remember to subscribe and give a like on your way out! (I kid, i kid)

EDIT: Anyone else testing this? i get lag from all controllers when my Nes30pro is connected to my switch, even the switch native controllers that is, by itself the Nes30pro works great with the switch, this makes it useless though. If i play alone i would rather use my pro controller.

Gargh, clearly not my day today, can't seem to be able to delete or merge my double post.

Last edited by nilly,

Elrinth

:Master beyond your imagination:
Trophies
Website
www.elrinth.com
XP
Country
Once 8bitdo go bluetooth 5 and stuff starts supporting bluetooth 5 it'll be okay. Right now, these controllers are only good for turn based games IMO. The current transfer rate of bluetooth 2.1 as they are using aswell as distance support prepare for some delay.

2.0:
2.1Mbit/sec

2.1 compared to 2.0 (no speed boost):
The changes to Bluetooth in 2.1 were merely enhancements to the features that it already has. The biggest difference between the two is the addition of Secure Simple Pairing (SSP) in Bluetooth 2.1. This addition reduces the number of steps needed in order to pair two devices while making it even more secure.

3.0 compared to 2.0 (and 2.1):
theoretically 24Mbit/sec
"Bluetooth 3.0, also known as high speed, is significantly faster than Bluetooth 2.0. Many wireless headphones operate with 3.0 technology which allows for a faster transfer rate at 20 megabits per second, as well as enhanced power control."

4.0 compared to 3.0 (no speed boost):
When Bluetooth 4.0 was developed, the upgrade boasted a number of additional features like improved connectivity and range

4.1 compared to 4.0 (no speed boost):
"Bluetooth Low Energy protocol means you can rock your wireless Bluetooth headphones a lot longer. Bluetooth LE allows smart devices to remain connected for longer periods of time without draining the battery. Bluetooth 4.1 took LE to another level."

4.2 compared to 4.1:
"According to CSR, point two upgrade is said to dramatically increase speed from 27 to 251 bytes which means super speedy downloads that can be up to 2.6 times faster than older Bluetooth versions."

5.0 compared to 4.2:
"Bluetooth 5.0
This is the newest grade of Bluetooth that has very recently been released. Bluetooth 5.0 was designed specifically to provide lossless and secure communication as our gadgets and gizmos become more and more technologically advance. This includes the IoT (Internet of Things). How so? Bluetooth 5.0 is the fastest iteration. It processes connections at 2 times the speed over 4 times the range handling over 8 times the amount of data. This means the higher the speed the more responsive high-performance devices will be. The Increased broadcast message size also means more data can be transmitted."

sources: http://majorhifi.com/the-difference-between-bluetooth-3-0-4-0-4-1-4-2-explained/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth#Bluetooth_2.0_.2B_EDR

Last edited by Elrinth,
Reactions: shaunj66

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lDRjqI-fBVI&pp=ygUPVml0Z2luIG1hZ2ljaWFu