64drive review

Discussion in 'Official GBAtemp Reviews' started by amptor, Sep 24, 2011.

1. qwertymodo

qwertymodo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 1, 2010
    United States
    Another reason to not have Dremeled holes. If I have to disassemble the cart means the MicroSD should be easy to access since I won't have to go through the slot (I'm assuming that the issue is the recessed slot...)

2. CyberAxe

CyberAxe Member

Newcomer
    May 13, 2008
    Scotland, UK
    He seems to be swamped just now and not answering emails promptly, however he is shipping out, a few days after I posted about mine (not long after emailing him) I got an email saying it had been sent and got a tracking number, got it just over a week ago and it works great (as long as you dont use bad ROMs as I was to start with)

As for the everdrive 64 it's not as feature rich, compatibility is not as good iirc and you have to PAY or firmware upgrades.

So just to let everyone know, he's still shipping, if he's a little unable to keep up with emails and such at the mo.

3. CyberAxe

CyberAxe Member

Newcomer
    May 13, 2008
    Scotland, UK
    Well most of us that ordered in October seem to have got it mid Feb so about 3 and a half months but I reckon the christmas period slowed things down for him, and like I've mentioned previously you'll get a notice of when it's shipped out. (that's one thing that drove me mad, not knowing if I'd get a shipping notice)

4. CyberAxe

CyberAxe Member

Newcomer
    May 13, 2008
    Scotland, UK
    Yeah, you dont need an S-Video to get colours or shouldnt anyway. It's really dependant on the stability of the signal coming form teh console and the support of the television, I've had somethings work and other snot on various consoles but I use RGB foreverything as it's the best.

You can RGB mod an N64 as I'm sure most people here are aware of but for those who aren't, you can get a french PAL N64 or an earlier model NTSC n64, solder three wires between the video chip and the back port and you've got yourself some nice full clarity picture going on (and I dont think you really lose anything with losing that alias blurring from composite like some say), the only caviat is some RGB mods (theres a few different ways to do it) seem to give different results and it depends on what rgb cable you use aswell, I think i did the direct to chip mod where you lift the pins from the board.

You may need to build a small booster circuit for the signal to get past any dull colours or deal with oversaturation, on mine the red is oversaturated and the other two colours are a little dull (but i did this mod a while back and need to go back in to make sure I did it all correctly) and that should be fixable.

Here's a couple of good sources of information on it.

http://www.gamesx.com/rgbadd/rgbn64.htm

http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/nintendo/ntsc_nintendo_64_rgb.htm

http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/nintendo/ntsc-n64-rbg-booster1.htm

5. Levente

Levente GBAtemp Regular

Nov 28, 2006
    Hungary
    How to save a NES game with Neon?

6. synt4x_3rr0r

synt4x_3rr0r Member

Newcomer
    Nov 11, 2007
    Thanks for the info. Yes it appears that PAL N64 video output is pretty shitty by default. I'll have to do that mod some day hopefully.
    Oh and an update regarding the issue I had with no colors on my HDTV; I just switched the channel to a different one after starting a game in NTSC, then I switched back to the N64 channel and the colors showed up. So it's just something with that particular TV. It doesn't like that devices change color signal standards in the middle of operation I think. But switching to another channel and then switching back works. So if you get that issue, try that. Can't believe I didn't try that sooner...

7. qwertymodo

Feb 1, 2010
    United States
    I'm working on a label for mine while I wait for it to ship (I bought the bare board so I could install a 6105 CIC). I'm gonna be putting it on a black cart I picked up at the pawn shop for $2, so it should look pretty slick. It's not done yet, but I thought I'd share my current progress. I'm using the Zelda special edition 3DS as inspiration, just because it's sooooo awesome.

Warning: Spoilers inside!

EDIT: Worked some more on it (and overlaid the image on top of an image of an actual cart for a better idea of the final product:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Still a work-in-progress and any comments/criticisms/suggestions are more than welcome :)

1 person likes this.
  8. Bart Lemming

Bart Lemming Gēmu Bōi mikuro

Feb 25, 2004
    United Kingdom
    Mute City
    ^
    Looking good! I can't wait to see the finished cart. :)

9. qwertymodo

Feb 1, 2010
    United States
    I need to find a good printing medium and somebody with a decent photo printer... plus I still don't have the actual 64Drive :( But yeah, real photos when I get it.

10. Bart Lemming

Bart Lemming Gēmu Bōi mikuro

Feb 25, 2004
    United Kingdom
    Mute City
    It's worth the wait. The cart just works so well.

11. qwertymodo

Feb 1, 2010
    United States
    Yeah, the more I read about it, the more I realized that was the case. Hence going to the trouble to make it look awesome as well :)

12. Levente

Levente GBAtemp Regular

Nov 28, 2006
    Hungary
    Unfotunately I bricked my 64drive while updating to firmware 1.04.
    Please help me! What should I do?
    Any help is well appreciated!

13. synt4x_3rr0r

synt4x_3rr0r Member

Newcomer
    Nov 11, 2007
    I would try to contact Marshall about it to see what you can do. He's a very nice guy. The CF card reader in mine broke down a couple of weeks ago and I contacted him about it and he sent me a new one, postage paid and everything, ordering me to send back the faulty one. Of course, I had to pay the postage to ship the faulty one back though but that's fair. He even shipped the replacement out before he recieved the faulty one back. So just contact him about it. I'm almost certain you'll get a new one since it's a problem he can probably fix manually IIRC.

14. qwertymodo

Feb 1, 2010
    United States
    I just received my 64Drive, but I'm having some issues. I ordered the bare board w/o the CIC and I can't find anywhere in any of the documents on the 64Drive site how to orient the CIC for installation. I think I have it right (chip on the same side as the CF card, pin 1 dot in the lower-right corner) but I get no video signal when I turn on the console. I haven't soldered it in yet because I'm not sure of the orientation (plus for now I'm using a 6102 until I get my hands on a 6105), so I'm just holding it in with a rubberband, which might be part of the issue but all of the pins seem to be making solid contact... any thoughts? Also, when I do get a 6105, where is the jumper I need to bridge? That's another piece of valuable info missing from the docs on the site :(

15. C-Kronos

C-Kronos GBAtemp Regular

Mar 11, 2010
    United States
    First off, you may think the CIC is getting solid contact when it's not; you need to solder it onto the board, that's more than likely your issue.

[​IMG]

For the 6105 CIC, you need to solder it in like the CIC in this picture (Although in the picture that's a 7101, the PAL "version" of 6102) Also, you'll need to bridge the two pads that are in the red rectangle in the picture; after that's done and the CIC is properly installed, it should be working. Keep in mind that the pads do not need to be bridged to use the 6102 CIC.

The following quotes were taken from retroactive's cic page:

Also, please be aware that just because there is a 6106/7106, doesn't mean you can slap it in and it'll have all the functionality of a 6105.. Sorry to shoot down anyone's hopes, but it doesn't work that way.

16. Zaertix

Zaertix GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 20, 2009
    United States
    USA
    See I've thought of getting one, but all this soldering and my hatred for the risk of breaking things deters me from getting one... -plots to order one and mail it to CK-

17. C-Kronos

C-Kronos GBAtemp Regular

Mar 11, 2010
    United States
    You could attempt updating the firmware again through USB if the computer will recognize the device.. You should install the drivers from here; after you have done that, download the 1.04 Easy Upgrade and run it as an administrator with your 64drive connected to your PC via USB. For those on Windows 7 64bit, and you cannot get the drivers properly working, try extracting the .exe and manually installing the drivers.

Also, please make sure that your 64drive is NOT in the Nintendo 64 during the update process.. Also, I'd remove your CF or microsd cart from your 64drive during the upgrade process as well.

If what I posted above doesn't work, you need to contact marshall.. Let him know about your issue, and he'll probably send you another PCB as long as you mail the old one back.

Soldering isn't hard at all, even a newbie could solder the CIC chip in on the 64drive.. I'm not great at soldering; I'm just good enough to get the job done for my hobbies. I still have a long way to go until I'm on par with marshall's 1337 soldering skillz, lol.. Pretty sure the 64drive pcb is more than enough proof of his skill.

Are you stalking me for when I reply on stuff, Mr. Z.. How are you going to mail it to me? Did I ever give you my new address after I moved? Instead of implying that the post is directed towards me, message me on MSN, or I swear on the video game gods; I will eat all your freaking tacos.. (Yeah, we "know" each other.. He's the guy that I spam on MSN or text from my phone when I'm incredibly intoxicated :D)

18. qwertymodo

Feb 1, 2010
    United States
    I actually managed to get my hands on a much nicer copy of JFG for less than the same shop was selling Mickey's Speedway USA, so I'm gonna rip the 6105 out of my other copy of JFG that looks like a dog chewed on it. I also got my hands on a few IC sockets to fit the CIC footprint, so I may just solder in a socket... only problem there is that the legs on the socket are too wide for the holes drilled in the board, so I'll have to re-drill the holes if I want to do that... we shall see. Thanks for pointing out the jumper pads. I was thinking it was the one on the back with 3 pads and the silkscreen label says NTSC/PAL.

19. C-Kronos

C-Kronos GBAtemp Regular

Mar 11, 2010
    United States
    Why use the sockets if you're going to be using a 6105 CIC? Once you have the 6105 CIC soldered in, you'll have 100% compatibility..

20. qwertymodo

Feb 1, 2010
    United States
    The socket was in case I ever wanted that 6105 back for some reason. Turns out it was a bad idea, it stuck out too far and kept glitching out on me because the chip wasn't making good contact or something (though the 6102 worked fine in the socket), then I ended up lifting several pads desoldering it :( Thankfully it still works now that I have the 6105 soldered in directly, but it scared the crap out of me every time a pad came off... In any case, it works now, and I'm happy. Now to just get that label printed up and it'll be perfect.