Hacking 6.39 custom firmware

andoru

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I wasn't aware that I should have upgraded the firmware with the custom .pbp file attached to be able to play iso's/ homebrew. So now I'm stuck with the latest firmware with no ability to updated to the custom firmware. I've read that for this to work, I need to first downgrade to a much lower version of the firmware and then upgrade again, but that seems somehow riskt for me, and I'm not even sure if it's the solution. So can any kind souls around here help me? Thanks in advance.

andoru

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
clonesniper666 said:
Use one of the 6.39 cfw both the pro b8 and me b8 are good. Just if you go with me then check if you have a 1000 or fully hackable 2000 because they can use the full cfw and the others use the light cfw.

I have a PSP Slim, so that makes it a 2000. I suppose I should choose the pro one?

QUOTE(Rydian @ Aug 7 2011, 01:46 AM) You shouldn't use official updates AT ALL or you'll lose hacked status. :\

I suppose that looses any usefulness as I found that already, thanks for being useless =3 j/k

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
andoru said:
clonesniper666 said:
Use one of the 6.39 cfw both the pro b8 and me b8 are good. Just if you go with me then check if you have a 1000 or fully hackable 2000 because they can use the full cfw and the others use the light cfw.

I have a PSP Slim, so that makes it a 2000. I suppose I should choose the pro one?

QUOTE(Rydian @ Aug 7 2011, 01:46 AM) You shouldn't use official updates AT ALL or you'll lose hacked status. :\

I suppose that looses any usefulness as I found that already, thanks for being useless =3 j/k
Use this:
http://filetrip.net/f25616-SIGNED-6-39-PRO-B8.html (its the best)

Forgive the Rydian guy, he helps like 1000 noobs a day so sometimes he's a little grumpy
tongue.gif
. His advice on updating is sound though, always ask questions before you upgrade OFW. You were lucky this time -- the latest firmware 6.39 is hackable.

andoru

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Snailface said:
Use this:
http://filetrip.net/f25616-SIGNED-6-39-PRO-B8.html (its the best)

Thanks, but as with everything from above, the PSP reports it as corrupted data. I wonder what I did wrong.

QUOTE(Snailface @ Aug 7 2011, 03:10 AM) Forgive the Rydian guy, he helps like 1000 noobs a day so sometimes he's a little grumpy
tongue.gif
. His advice on updating is sound though, always ask questions before you upgrade OFW. You were lucky this time -- the latest firmware 6.39 is hackable.

So he got enough of the noobiness that I've shown? XD
Well, I understand, I was like that when I had my fansub group, that's why I started teasing~

realveemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2000 series is a bit risky.. Some are unhackable due to a newer motherboard....

Using the 6.39 Perm can cause a PSPBrick on an unhackable psp (Late 2000, All the 3000 and the GO series are unhackable/pandorable)

Use pspident and it will tell you if it can use the 6.39 perm.

Message back if unsure

andoru

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
realveemon said:
2000 series is a bit risky.. Some are unhackable due to a newer motherboard....

Using the 6.39 Perm can cause a PSPBrick on an unhackable psp (Late 2000, All the 3000 and the GO series are unhackable/pandorable)

Use pspident and it will tell you if it can use the 6.39 perm.

Message back if unsure

Same as my post above, it reports that the data is corrupted. But in change, the application's thumbnail shows up... Also, this PSP that I got had a very old kernel version ( 3.80 M33-5), so that means the PSP is not that recent, and it was also installed with a custom firmware before anyway.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
I've never used the signed version but....

X:\ (MS ROOT)
├── PSP
│   ├── GAME
│   ├─────6.39 PRO
│  ├───── ├──PRO Update
│   │   ├──Fast Recovery

andoru

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Snailface said:
andoru said:
"\PRO folder\various PRO files" -> Explain please?
Just drop the PROUPDATE and fastRecovery folders inside the GAME folder on your memory stick. The GAME folder is located inside the PSP folder -- you shouldn't have a hard time finding that.
tongue.gif

QUOTE(xist @ Aug 7 2011, 02:16 PM)
I've never used the signed version but....

X:\ (MS ROOT)
??? PSP
?   ??? GAME
?   ??????6.39 PRO
?  ?????? ???PRO Update
?   ?   ???Fast Recovery

No wonder, I kept on placing those in the /GAME/UPDATE folder XD
Got it now to work now, thank you for your help, everyone ^^

andoru

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I've removed the card for a brief moment and put it back after the psp froze midgame, and now it reverted back to the official firmware. is this normal? Do I have to do this every time I remove the battery?

zygie

Trophies
XP
Country
Yes. The cfw is still written in NAND, but without some exploit in 6.20, PRO can't run a quick start on a hard boot. So it "reverts" back to 6.39 OFW. You only have to run the FastRecovery, it takes just a few seconds to boot back into PRO cfw. You don't have to reinstall the whole thing.

People say that most people on non-permanent CFW keep their PSPs on "sleep mode" anyway. I usually keep my PSP on sleep mode during the day, but shutdown before sleeping and reload the CFW the first time I use it the next morning. Kinda anal, but hey. Haha.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    I @ idonthave: :)