Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Do yourself a favor, and don't recommend this to anyone else again. Ever. Seriously, this is a terrible recommendation to anyone setting up their system even now (even if they wanted to run with the MSET exploit...)

EDIT: To be clear, my viewpoint on this is that it's okay if you're already running rxTools, and it's working well for you, but you're doing a disservice to the community by recommending someone use rxTools when setting up a system from scratch.
Definitely, even if it's just because the Plailect guide is kept updated and accurate and is a single source of truth, while there's a million versions of rxTools and a million different ways to set it up and a million guides where some are accurate and some aren't. Totally leaving aside that the end result of one is vastly superior to the end result of the other.

Reactions: 9fiftyfive

CheeseCake

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do yourself a favor, and don't recommend this to anyone else again. Ever. Seriously, this is a terrible recommendation to anyone setting up their system even now (even if they wanted to run with the MSET exploit...)

EDIT: To be clear, my viewpoint on this is that it's okay if you're already running rxTools, and it's working well for you, but you're doing a disservice to the community by recommending someone use rxTools when setting up a system from scratch.

All I'm saying is EmuNAND is easier to setup for the beginner. Some people I've met switched to Luma3DS after they got more experience with the scene with RXTools. Others stayed where they are because they were content with it and the so-called "flaws" did not actually bother them

By the way, what actual features does Luma with AL9H provide other than the minute stuff like "better boot times"and "no Boot Managers" that everyone keeps spamming about. Other people have stayed on RXTools too because they felt that wasn't worth the time needed to set it up.
This is a legitimate question here. Don't suddenly decide to call me out as a troll.

Last edited by CheeseCake,

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All I'm saying is EmuNAND is easier to setup for the beginner. Some people I've met switched to Luma3DS after they got more experience with the scene with RXTools. Others stayed where they are because they were content with it and the so-called "flaws" did not actually bother them

By the way, what actual features does Luma with AL9H provide other than the minute stuff like "better boot times"and "no Boot Managers" that everyone keeps spamming about. Other people have stayed on RXTools too because they felt that wasn't worth the time needed to set it up.
This is a legitimate question here. Don't suddenly decide to call me out as a troll.

You can certainly run luma/cakes/rei just fine with an emunand setup - it works as a drop in replacement for rxTools...even with an MSET based setup. As far as benefits, it really depends on how you use it, but there's a number of pretty well documented (and unfixed!) issues with rxTools, including but not limited to one that can potentially brick a system. More modern firmware (even using entrypoints other than a9lh) don't have a lot of the same issues, and are better supported for any issues one might actually stumble across. As far as actual features, there's one for n3ds that allows you to run o3ds games at n3ds clockspeeds for starters....there's also better support for multiple emunands, if that's your thing, debug mode (once again, if that's your thing), better support for gba without needing to manually patch stuff, etc. Also support for region changing and language emulation. (Bear in mind too, that this is without even delving into the a9lh specific stuff...there's a couple other cool things that can be enabled with this as well). If you care to dive into even more of the specifics, take a look at the page on github: https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/wiki/Options-and-usage

tl;dr - luma doesn't equal a9lh, although it's commonly associated with it.

Last edited by dubbz82,

CheeseCake

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Okay, you convinced me to switch.
I can use the same Emunand on Luma3DS right?

Need a fact check on this
It's as simple as deleting my RXTools folder, replacing it with Luma3DS folder, and gettinga boot.cfg for CTRBootManager that registers Luma instead right?

I have Menuhax, CTR, Emunand, unlinking, etc setup from long ago

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Okay, you convinced me to switch.
I can use the same Emunand on Luma3DS right?

Need a fact check on this
It's as simple as deleting my RXTools folder, replacing it with Luma3DS folder, and gettinga boot.cfg for CTRBootManager that registers Luma instead right?

I have Menuhax, CTR, Emunand, unlinking, etc setup from long ago
Yep that's right. Unless you're running out of room, don't delete stuff, just rename it (anything on the root of the SD that you were going to delete) so you can go back easily if anything doesn't work. When you're sure everything works fine, then delete the stuff you renamed.

Jiro2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Definitely, even if it's just because the Plailect guide is kept updated and accurate and is a single source of truth, while there's a million versions of rxTools and a million different ways to set it up and a million guides where some are accurate and some aren't. Totally leaving aside that the end result of one is vastly superior to the end result of the other.

The Plailect guide for updating to 9.2 tells you to use rxTools.

This is actually necessary--you need something that can run on such low firmware and modern CFWs aren't written to work on low firmware any more.

You still don't normally need mset, but there's the occasional case of someone on a low firmware without a matching browser. Exactly what works and doesn't work on that is so complicated that Plailect couldn't even write a guide yet. Some people may be able to use mset, some people the browser, some people have to update with a cart and use the browser. Some people need to use a cart to update to 9.x-10.x and downgrade, which always works, but which can't be the first choice because you may need to use Cubic Ninja/OOT/PSMD to downgrade and not everyone has that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: :rofl2: